Is Democracy lost amonst Americans?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Psychoblues, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    As demostrated in 2000, most voting Americans preferred Al Gore. Considering the bulk of non-voters in this country and their propensities towards Democratic candidates is it any wonder that I might ask the question?

Could I possibly stir your attention when I ask, "Where Have All The Democrats Gone?" It is certain that the votes of potential Democrats were tampered with in Florida, Tennessee and even in California in 2000. In spite of all that, Al Gore still won the popular vote. Another thing to consider is that it was highly publicized then that GWB was considering just the opposite, that he would garner the majority popular vote but fail in the electoral system and that he was poised to file suit in an attempt to rectify his supposed view of "unfairness".

I fully understand that I'm dragging up an old fight, but it is still one that I view with amazement. I am still convinced that America is overwhelmingly Democratic and I am still bewildered as to how it's votes and policies would indicate otherwise. Please correct me in my shallowness and misunderstanding, will you?

2. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The FL votes were analyzed by several independent groups. All concluded that the vote count as recorded for the election was accurate.

You are sadly mistaken in assuming that the non-voters would reflect a Democratic majority. And in reality, it just doesn't matter. If people do not care to vote, that is their right. We cannot factor in how they would have (or in the case of the Florida recounts, should have) voted.

We have an Electoral College for a reason - to keep a few states with heavy population density from controlling the agenda of the country. The concept it addresses is referred to as the Tyrrany of the Majority. The electoral college balances population with geographic differences by combining total Senators and total Representatives. Just because your candidate didn't win in 2000 is no reason to throw it away.

3. Americangirl

Americangirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Democrats are loud, but conservatives are the silent majority. Why? Well, when Democrats speak, its "freedom of speech". When conservatives speak, its "hate speech". That's why a lot of conservatives keep quiet, but they make themselves heard at the polls!

4. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    1.) So what?

2.) And anyways, it was a statistical tie. The difference in the two popular vote totals was well within the +/-3% margin of error.

It's not.

There are reported voting irregularities, with respect to both parties, in every state in every election, including reports of people invalidating or throwing out Bush votes during the Florida recount. Why didn't you mention the Democrats who were buying cigarette cartons for bums to go vote, and were caught on tape?

Why am I even bothering to respond? Nevermind.

5. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    You responded because you care, Zhukof. As I do when I recognise injustice and things contrary to the principles outlined in our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I've been a ferocious fighter for many years. My fighting is now relegated to a few Homeowners association arguments, local committee meetings and here, the internet, particularly the USMB. I'm not ashamed of my past and I'm sure not ashamed of my present. But you can bet your hiney that I'll be voting in November and that I'll be watching as closely as I can for irregularities from either side of the political spectrum.

6. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yes, old news psycho... how about we concentrate on this election and the real issues. I am still waiting to hear ANY issues from the Democrats save for Bush-bashing. I have heard it said several times on news shows that the democrats are not looking to nominate the best person to run OUR country but one that they feel can have a chance of beating G.W.... I find this laughable and childish...

7. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Juvenile is as juvenile does. Considering the lengths and lies that were accomplished in 2000 by the Republicans it's a no-holds-barred race at this point. Even then, the Dems will honorably accept the election of 2004. This is much more than the plans of the Republicans in 2000 and this is not unnoticed by most of us.

8. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :tinfoil:

9. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    conspiracy theories aside....08 will be the Democrats best chance at the CIC seat. but you do have to agree that the democrats are acting like a bunch of kids on the playground fighting over a ball......
    "Its mine give it back" seems this way to me:cof:

10. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Where Have All The Democrats Gone?

They are in line cashing or spending their IRS refund, dividend and employment checks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!