CDZ Is common courtesy and decency dead?

I think you are making the OP's point quite well. Civility MUST go BOTH ways.

And really that's why the Dems don't like Trump. He's not one of their usual Republican rivals who they can insult an wag their finger at and cajole if he fights back, b/c he doesn't care, you come at him, he'll come twice as hard at you, now I don't like that; BUT maybe that is what it will take for the Dems to finally see the light and start practicing some civility in their discourse.

So a Republican who calls women "fat, ugly pigs" and who makes off-color remarks about a journalist's menstruation is going to "teach" Democrats about civility?

Are you under the influence of anything specific?

How do you get a bully to stop hitting you? You punch him the face one time.

Ideally Trump should be a nicer guy but the fact is liberal partisan hacks have became bullies and THAT is why Trump's antics are appreciated by so many. And even now, dumb fuck liberal hacks want to pretend like it's somehow different when he is nasty an insulting then it is when they do it.

Seriously, what color were the mushrooms?

You realize Trump has been a bully to every single person in his life for MUCH longer than the presidential race, right?

Provide an example of him being a bully prior to running for POTUS.

He filed a totally frivolous defamation suit against Bill Maher that was tossed before the ink dried.

It's never been part of society.

Remember, there was a time that people watched people get eaten by lions for entertainment.

Human beings are not by nature courteous or decent.
Not all people have been like that. Only certain people. Its in most of human nature to be courteous and decent or we would have never survived as a species.

I don't know about that. Think about this message board as an example, 50 years ago if people talked to each other the way soe talk to others on this message board, they would have got their teeth kicked in. So people weren't nice b/c they were nice, they were nice cuz they didn't want to get their teeth kicked in.

That isn't really what I was referring to though. Our founding fathers had some knock down drag out fights. Up to and including duels and fist fights on the Senate floor. But at the end of the day, no one party ever left feeling like they were left out of the conversation. And certainly the "other side" didn't gloat and do a dance and scream "elections have consequences bitch" and carry on like babies

No, just entire races of people, women, etc. Oh, and the South seceded.

You're nostalgic for a happy time that never existed.

Remember, there was a time that people watched people get eaten by lions for entertainment.

Not all people have been like that. Only certain people. Its in most of human nature to be courteous and decent or we would have never survived as a species.

Sort of. By virtue of evolution, we care for our closest family, first. We evolved into settled societies and found benefit in civility with trade, etc.

But just being nice for the sake of it has never been in our DNA -- or any other animal's.

we went to think and hope for the best in others.
but once mistakes are made and/or people let each other down (which, BTW, will ALWAYS happen because we are not perfect) - its' a downward spiral.
also, the seduction of power and money, whether on a large or small scale makes people extremely "ugly"

We live in a world that is fundamentally unfair. That breeds resentment and things flow from that. However in our everyday relationships I would imagine that we are scrupulous in our dealings. My neighbours all put a bag of veg over the fence when it comes in and I do likewise. Nothing is ever said.

Sort of. By virtue of evolution, we care for our closest family, first. We evolved into settled societies and found benefit in civility with trade, etc.

But just being nice for the sake of it has never been in our DNA -- or any other animal's.
Both humans and animals show empathy with no benefit to themselves. There are tons of stories of animals rescuing other animals and humans with no benefit to themselves as well. Have you ever seen a child that you dont know at all about to fall? What is your instinctive reaction?

Yes, Animals Think And Feel. Here's How We Know

I watch the news and read reports, and now read this message board and it's quite clear that people just don't care about each other any more. From either side.

Look at all the various issues and such and it's obvious neither the left nor the right , as a whole, care about people, they only care about their agenda.

homosexuality, who cares marry who you want, but don't then turn around and demand that someone take part in your ceremony. Who demands that someone serve them when that person doesn't want to serve them? An asshole, that's who. Yes, okay you're of the opinion that the person who refused to bake your cake is a bigot, big whoop they no more care about your opinion than you care about theirs, and guess what? The government has exactly the same right to demand their opinion conform to yours as it does to demand that your opinion conforms to theirs, Meaning none at all.

Transgender bathrooms. If you own a business, do whatever you want with the bathrooms, if as a customer you don't like their policy, here's an idea shop somewhere else. How hard is that?

Abortion. Can we seriously not grow up and come to an agreement here? If I see a 3 month pregnant woman walking down the street and I cause harm that kills that fetus, I'm guilty of murder, yet if that same woman walks into her drs office and gets an abortion, that's not murder. Let me clue yall in something. MURDER is the illegal killing of a human being, how can it be a human being in one instance, yet not another? Simple solution, takes 5 minutes. Agree on a point that as far as the law is concerned life begins, applicable to ALL laws. Then no matter which side you are on if you disagree with the law, sorry, but in this country we follow the rule of law.

immigration? Come on illegal immigration helps the rich on both sides, and no one else. Can't we really come together and put the politics aside and say "No more" while at the same time realizing that we simply aren't going to deport 12M people. It will not happen. It would be mean and cruel to split up families and force people to make choices, that however does NOT mean we can't stop more from coming over. But no, those on BOTH sides rather scream and rant and rave and parrot their overlords who actually benefit from illegal immigration.

And that's not even touching on border security or screening Muslims before allowing them into this country, both common sense issues that only a partisan dunce, or someone with bad intentions, would object to.

Why have we as Americans lost the ability to be courteous to people we disagree with?

Can you imagine if the founding fathers had refused to compromise? We would have lasted about 10 minutes as a nation.

white, black, brown, hispanic, straight, gay, male, female it doesn't matter, Stop letting our elected leaders pit us against each other. GOP or Dem, they don't care about us. They rely on the fact that so many people think they do to keep their stranglehold on us.
Welcome to USMB.

Both humans and animals show empathy with no benefit to themselves. There are tons of stories of animals rescuing other animals and humans with no benefit to themselves as well. Have you ever seen a child that you dont know at all about to fall? What is your instinctive reaction?

Yes, Animals Think And Feel. Here's How We Know

That's one thing, but the topic is DECENCY and COURTESY.
I think if left to our own devices we would be quite INdecent and DIScourteous - if we were not judged by it.

I don't know about that. Think about this message board as an example, 50 years ago if people talked to each other the way soe talk to others on this message board, they would have got their teeth kicked in. So people weren't nice b/c they were nice, they were nice cuz they didn't want to get their teeth kicked in.

That isn't really what I was referring to though. Our founding fathers had some knock down drag out fights. Up to and including duels and fist fights on the Senate floor. But at the end of the day, no one party ever left feeling like they were left out of the conversation. And certainly the "other side" didn't gloat and do a dance and scream "elections have consequences bitch" and carry on like babies

You are only looking at a subset of people. This is not indicative of all or even most people.

You have to remember that back in those days it was a "white only" country so not much to "lose" either way. Now that whites have to accept other races/ethnicities its become a whole different ball game as whites have a hard time adjusting to the new reality. Not only have their myths of racial superiority been debunked, they have had to deal with ghastly realization that other races dont view them as superior. As they have to accept these new realities their fear is causing much discord and alienation.

Race has nothing to do with it, In regards to politics, being an unbending partisan asshole is color blind.

You are only looking at a subset of people. This is not indicative of all or even most people.

You have to remember that back in those days it was a "white only" country so not much to "lose" either way. Now that whites have to accept other races/ethnicities its become a whole different ball game as whites have a hard time adjusting to the new reality. Not only have their myths of racial superiority been debunked, they have had to deal with ghastly realization that other races dont view them as superior. As they have to accept these new realities their fear is causing much discord and alienation.

Race has nothing to do with it, In regards to politics, being an unbending partisan asshole is color blind.
Of course race has everything to do with it. The founders were only concerned with white males winning. White males never really "lost" anything no matter the party. Guaranteed if NA's and Blacks were considered citizens it would have just like today. We know this was the dynamic because they did everything in their power to keep NA's and Blacks from out competing whites.

Of course race has everything to do with it. The founders were only concerned with white males winning. White males never really "lost" anything no matter the party. Guaranteed if NA's and Blacks were considered citizens it would have just like today.

Son, you do realize that if "old white men" in this country only ever cared about old white men, blacks would still be slaves , right? I mean that is just nonsense. If you can't participate in my thread without trying to make it about race, please just don't participate.

Your post smacks of racism, not by "whites" but against "whites". How is that any different that the racism against any other people?
Its different because the truth is not racism regardless of your opinion.
What? Try this, read your post and replace "Whites" with "Blacks" and then tell me you are speaking the truth and not being racist.
The very first sentence says this was a white only country. I cant replace that with Black without making it a false statement. Blacks have never controlled this country. Your suggestion is not making any sense.
Not making any sense seems to be your specialty. I am suprised that you are tripped up at the prospect.
So why dont you replace the word white with the word Black and show me how its done. This will be interesting to see if you can make sense.
You have to remember that back in those days it was a "'black' only" country so not much to "lose" either way. Now that "blacks" have to accept other races/ethnicities its become a whole different ball game as "blacks" have a hard time adjusting to the new reality. Not only have their myths of racial superiority been debunked, they have had to deal with ghastly realization that other races dont view them as superior. As they have to accept these new realities their fear is causing much discord and alienation

See, that wasn't so hard. Whether or not the statements are true is not the point. The racist over-tone of the post is the point.

Of course race has everything to do with it. The founders were only concerned with white males winning. White males never really "lost" anything no matter the party. Guaranteed if NA's and Blacks were considered citizens it would have just like today.

Son, you do realize that if "old white men" in this country only ever cared about old white men, blacks would still be slaves , right? I mean that is just nonsense. If you can't participate in my thread without trying to make it about race, please just don't participate.
Obviously your grasp on history has caused huge gaps in your knowledge. Whites were embarrassed by slavery and needed it to end to have some credibility in regards to world view. There was no way Blacks would have remained slaves. Lots of whites would have constantly died ala Nat Turner style attacks. If you only want certain ideas introduced in your thread I suggest you go to a private thread. My comment spoke directly to the reasons for people being discourteous and lacking common decency. White are emotional over the loss of prestige and power.

That's some bullshit introduced by a racist.
Dont get emotional and make nonsensical statements. Tell me why you disagree with it. This is the CDZ. Use your mind and point out the untruth instead of calling me names in anger.
As I recall, it was YOU that brought race into a discussion that had NOTHING to do with race. Seems to me you must have race on the mind at all times, in my book, that is a sure sign of a racist. Of course that's just my opinion, you are free to have yours.
Sorry old boy. Youre wrong on this. If you dont like my posts report me. From the OP.....

"Why have we as Americans lost the ability to be courteous to people we disagree with?

Can you imagine if the founding fathers had refused to compromise? We would have lasted about 10 minutes as a nation.

white, black, brown, hispanic, straight, gay, male, female it doesn't matter, Stop letting our elected leaders pit us against each other. GOP or Dem, they don't care about us. They rely on the fact that so many people think they do to keep their stranglehold on us"

Its different because the truth is not racism regardless of your opinion.
What? Try this, read your post and replace "Whites" with "Blacks" and then tell me you are speaking the truth and not being racist.
The very first sentence says this was a white only country. I cant replace that with Black without making it a false statement. Blacks have never controlled this country. Your suggestion is not making any sense.
Not making any sense seems to be your specialty. I am suprised that you are tripped up at the prospect.
So why dont you replace the word white with the word Black and show me how its done. This will be interesting to see if you can make sense.
You have to remember that back in those days it was a "'black' only" country so not much to "lose" either way. Now that "blacks" have to accept other races/ethnicities its become a whole different ball game as "blacks" have a hard time adjusting to the new reality. Not only have their myths of racial superiority been debunked, they have had to deal with ghastly realization that other races dont view them as superior. As they have to accept these new realities their fear is causing much discord and alienation

See, that wasn't so hard. Whether or not the statements are true is not the point. The racist over-tone of the post is the point.
Yes the fact that the statements are not true is the point. Thats why I specifically said "its different because the truth is not racism". Now that you just took that one on the chin like a goatee please try to show me where it is untrue.

Obviously your grasp on history has caused huge gaps in your knowledge. Whites were embarrassed by slavery and needed it to end to have some credibility in regards to world view. There was no way Blacks would have remained slaves. Lots of whites would have constantly died ala Nat Turner style attacks. If you only want certain ideas introduced in your thread I suggest you go to a private thread. My comment spoke directly to the reasons for people being discourteous and lacking common decency. White are emotional over the loss of prestige and power.

Dont get emotional and make nonsensical statements. Tell me why you disagree with it. This is the CDZ. Use your mind and point out the untruth instead of calling me names in anger.
As I recall, it was YOU that brought race into a discussion that had NOTHING to do with race. Seems to me you must have race on the mind at all times, in my book, that is a sure sign of a racist. Of course that's just my opinion, you are free to have yours.
Sorry old boy. Youre wrong on this. If you dont like my posts report me. From the OP.....

"Why have we as Americans lost the ability to be courteous to people we disagree with?

white, black, brown, hispanic, straight, gay, male, female it doesn't matter, Stop letting our elected leaders pit us against each other. GOP or Dem, they don't care about us. They rely on the fact that so many people think they do to keep their stranglehold on us"

white, black, brown, hispanic, straight, gay, male, female it doesn't matter
Seems to me this pretty much take race OUT of it.

Yes the fact that the statements are not true is the point. Thats why I specifically said "its different because the truth is not racism". Now that you just took that one on the chin like a goatee please try to show me where it is untrue.
Really? Really? You really don't see how your statements are racist? Are you really telling the world you are this blind to your own racism?
You have a chance to show me where i am being racist. So far you are doing a terrible job. Please point out any untruths in my statement and we can discuss them.
In this case, the "truth" has little to do with it.
If I were to say that blacks are this, or that; or that blacks think this or that; would you see those statements as being racist? Would you see them as generalizations from a racist point of veiw? Of course you would, so why is it any different when someone makes the same generalizations about whites? Is it just impossible to be racist against whites? Is that why you don't see your racism?

and you think that was me leaving you an opportunity to blame it all on the white guy eh?

Actually, you have made my point succinctly, SOMEONE has fooled you into believing everythign is the white man's fault, allowing them to keep your scrutiny off of them.

OK -- We're gonna restart this discussion by stipulating that the topic is NOT about black/white racism..
If that bums you out, start a thread on Race Relations here or in the proper forum..

Folks who violate CDZone tone and rules will be tossed out.
16 posts deleted.. .

To get back to my OP, perhaps I misworded. I didn't mean to imply that everyone got along or whatever but no matter there differences at the end of the day they solved problems. What problems do we solve today?

Forum List

Back