Is college really worth it as a conservative?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
So I didn't really get a good education back home. It was honestly mostly my fault. (I showed up pretty much when I wanted throughout senior year and graduated high school with something like a 1.7 GPA). Now that I have a decent job in the military and a place to live I've been thinking a lot about trying to further my education. That just seems like the next logical step after escaping from backwards Southern poverty, you know? It's just... I've been weighing the pros and cons of it...

On the one hand, it'd be an interesting experience and I've always been in love with learning. (Seriously, despite the above I taught myself Latin in art class and spent my personal time reading Cicero and learning genetics and history.) That a degree is basically mandatory for any civilian job worth having also helps. On the other, even liberals I know tell me the rumors of censorship and intolerance are, in many cases, more true than not. I don't really want to waste the tax payers' money (my GI Bill) learning and pretending to go along with why some nutjob professor thinks Hamas is a misunderstood social justice organization just to get a degree in Arabic, and I really don't think I could handle having to pick between endorsing left wing causes (especially the more extreme elements like abortion, feminism, and Communism) or shutting up and keeping my head down.

Is it really worth four years of total marginalization/indoctrination just to have a shot at any kind of quality standard of living? Are there any schools actually about teaching students how to think rather than what to believe? How could someone go about enrolling there?

So I didn't really get a good education back home. It was honestly mostly my fault. (I showed up pretty much when I wanted throughout senior year and graduated high school with something like a 1.7 GPA). Now that I have a decent job in the military and a place to live I've been thinking a lot about trying to further my education. That just seems like the next logical step after escaping from backwards Southern poverty, you know? It's just... I've been weighing the pros and cons of it...

On the one hand, it'd be an interesting experience and I've always been in love with learning. (Seriously, despite the above I taught myself Latin in art class and spent my personal time reading Cicero and learning genetics and history.) That a degree is basically mandatory for any civilian job worth having also helps. On the other, even liberals I know tell me the rumors of censorship and intolerance are, in many cases, more true than not. I don't really want to waste the tax payers' money (my GI Bill) learning and pretending to go along with why some nutjob professor thinks Hamas is a misunderstood social justice organization just to get a degree in Arabic, and I really don't think I could handle having to pick between endorsing left wing causes (especially the more extreme elements like abortion, feminism, and Communism) or shutting up and keeping my head down.

Is it really worth four years of total marginalization/indoctrination just to have a shot at any kind of quality standard of living? Are there any schools actually about teaching students how to think rather than what to believe? How could someone go about enrolling there?

Yes. Come to OSU here in Columbus, OH. It's a very fair and balanced school. Great and affordable 4 year college. About 12,000 a year in tuition including books and they give you tons of access to free money like pell grants 5750 a year and depending on your financial situation you can go there free. Not to mention all the scholarships they provide. Your bound to qualify for one of them.

College is not the scary boogeyman that old conservatives like to rail against. Congratulations if you decide to go back, but also if you decide on something else. College is not the only option. What do you want to do? Narrow that list down and it'll help you out.

I have a graduate degree and I had no problem at three different colleges whatsoever.

Opps you said you were in the military. Free school. OSU is a very good school and the city of Columbus is very nice and everybody who comes here loves it. It has the 27th best business/accounting program in the country. It also has one of the best medical programs in the country and we have over 5 hospitals here in columbus alone. Including OSU hospital connected to OSU university. You'll have no issue getting a job. No matter what you go for.

Conservatives need college more than liberals. Being forced to live with other people with different ideas, other skin colors, etc. benefits conservatives more than liberals. :)

Conservatives need college more than liberals. Being forced to live with other people with different ideas, other skin colors, etc. benefits conservatives more than liberals. :)
Great point :thup:

See, that's what I was talking about. You're only allowed to have different ideas if they're the right ideas. If you hold the wrong ones then you have to be forced to accept new ones, and if you're not willing to do this then you're clearly closed minded and probably racist. This is why I don't want to be a liberal or spend the time out of my life living on their fringes.

Opps you said you were in the military. Free school. OSU is a very good school and the city of Columbus is very nice and everybody who comes here loves it. It has the 27th best business/accounting program in the country. It also has one of the best medical programs in the country and we have over 5 hospitals here in columbus alone. Including OSU hospital connected to OSU university. You'll have no issue getting a job. No matter what you go for.
I just might do that. Checking into their language program now. Thank you. :)

See, that's what I was talking about. You're only allowed to have different ideas if they're the right ideas. If you hold the wrong ones then you have to be forced to accept new ones, and if you're not willing to do this then you're clearly closed minded and probably racist. This is why I don't want to be a liberal or spend the time out of my life living on their fringes.

I just might do that. Checking into their language program now. Thank you. :)

Hey, it's no problem at all. I have five family members who have graduate degrees from OSU. 2 with PHD's.

Yes, because all conservatives live in the mansion on the plantation. What they will find is thought like yours running amok, freedom of speech discouraged and conservative thought lampooned by arrogant self righteous demagogues.

I haven't seen much evidence that so called liberals are any better coexisting with people who are different from them.

The degree of Liberalism in colleges and Universities varies widely by school, by Major and definitely by Professor. If you go to a Liberal Arts college and Major in Art History or English, then you will probably feel like an outcast and may even feel pressure in certain classes to hide your Conservative views in your papers and your comments during class. But that would be the extreme. You can do your own research and pick a school that is more moderate politically. Good luck.

Truth is truth. If learning truth it doesn't matter if a liberal school or professor teaches it or a conservative one. 2+2 will equal 4 regardless of politics. Think the whole university as manifestations of political ideology is nonsense.

Truth is truth. If learning truth it doesn't matter if a liberal school or professor teaches it or a conservative one. 2+2 will equal 4 regardless of politics. Think the whole university as manifestations of political ideology is nonsense.

You were correct to invoke a math metaphor because that is the only subject where truth is truth. Outside of that, there is a significant amount of Liberal bias in colleges today. Not all colleges, and not all subjects and not all Professors but it is there no question about it.

You were correct to invoke a math metaphor because that is the only subject where truth is truth. Outside of that, there is a significant amount of Liberal bias in colleges today. Not all colleges, and not all subjects and not all Professors but it is there no question about it.

Think what that's about is more a university reflects whatever community it's in. Liberal comunities will have liberal universities. No one asks or attaches any significance at a job interview about whether your college education was liberal or conservative. Degree's a degree.

I've... heard differently, honestly. I wanted to go to BYU for a long time on the understanding that they have an outstanding language program. I reconsidered when I realized that, if that was the name on my resume, then every future employer would assume I was Mormon. I'm not, but I have several close friends who are and I'm friendly enough to the church as a whole. I've already seen the level of prejudice people have against them throughout the years. I considered an Orthodox school for the same reason - an excellent humanities program that wouldn't be dominated by nutjobs and freshly released Marxist terrorists. I dropped that consideration for the same reason.

Forum List

Back