Is banning same-sex marriage fair?

So now you're implying that telling people they can't commit murder or robbery isn't fair???

:lol:

Seriously dude, quit while you're...

oh wait, nevermind. :rofl:

but they passionately want to !

The fact remains that it's fair to restrict passions that involve imposing said passion upon a non-consenting person, such as in the murder example.

No such element is present in same-sex marriage.

But at least we agree that banning same-sex marriage isn't fair.

unfortunately it's just one of a million things in life that aren't fair-----fortunately there are also a million ways to get past it and live a perfectly contented life.

but they passionately want to !

The fact remains that it's fair to restrict passions that involve imposing said passion upon a non-consenting person, such as in the murder example.

unfortunately it's just one of a million things in life that aren't fair-----fortunately there are also a million ways to get past it and live a perfectly contented life.

But a "perfectly contented" life, for some, involves making it easier for others who, for whatever reasons, cannot "get past" or get over, through, around, or under to live with the same ease of (or even somewhat easier) use those of us who can take for granted. Those committed to social and economic justice use advocacy to "get past" life's inequities, for ourselves, others, our family, friends, or progeny. I would like to do a couple things before I die to make the world a better place for my taking up space in it, even if they are just little or undervalued things.

But a "perfectly contented" life, for some, involves making it easier for others who, for whatever reasons, cannot "get past" or get over, through, around, or under to live with the same ease of (or even somewhat easier) use those of us who can take for granted. Those committed to social and economic justice use advocacy to "get past" life's inequities, for ourselves, others, our family, friends, or progeny. I would like to do a couple things before I die to make the world a better place for my taking up space in it, even if they are just little or undervalued things.

I'd love to make it easier for them myself. It's why I encourage them to quit wasting time by using the "word" marriage. Call it anything else and the resistance will dwindle to next to nothing.

I'd love to make it easier for them myself. It's why I encourage them to quit wasting time by using the "word" marriage. Call it anything else and the resistance will dwindle to next to nothing.

so let the state license use a word that is non discriminatory, and let the churches practice whatever ceremony they wish to officiate the unions with. Viola! Problem solved.

Day um. I was hoping to have a fight. :lol:

so let the state license use a word that is non discriminatory, and let the churches practice whatever ceremony they wish to officiate the unions with. Viola! Problem solved.

bingo-----easy !!

All this discussion about the prop 8 ruling got me thinking about this from a very simple perspective. Is it fair to deny marriage to same-sex couples?

If you can, for the purposes of this discussion please do not introduce any arguments related to the Constitution, rights, or anything else of a legal nature.

It's a very simple philosophical question:

Is it fair to deny marriage to same-sex couples?

Why? Why not?

PS: Please know that declaring fair ain't got nothin' to do with it may contain some truth, but also betrays the author's implicit belief that it is not fair.

No...and it's not fair that we can't marry more then one spouse...or marry anyone or anything we want.

I want to marry my car. It takes me where I want to go...doesn't give me a bunch of shit. It has AC and great gas mileage. Speeding down the highway with the wind blowing through my hair is a special feeling. It performs flawlessly. It doesn't get moody or bitchy....it doesn't want to watch chick flix when the Bears game is on. It's a match made in heaven.

Nothing is unfair about maintaining and protecting traditional marriage. If you want to lead a homosexual life, you are free to do so, but in making that choice you are opting out of marriage.

The only thing discriminatory law protects is exclusive privilege. You're marriage is between two people, you and your wife. Their marriage has NOTHING to do with yours, and yours has nothing to do with theirs. Jesus H Christ on a pop-sickle stick. It really IS that simple.

Nothing is unfair about maintaining and protecting traditional marriage. If you want to lead a homosexual life, you are free to do so, but in making that choice you are opting out of marriage.

The only thing discriminatory law protects is exclusive privilege. You're marriage is between two people, you and your wife. Their marriage has NOTHING to do with yours, and yours has nothing to do with theirs. Jesus H Christ on a pop-sickle stick. It really IS that simple.

no--what is simple is that they could drop the word "marriage" and have everything that they claim to want. Why insist on a revolutionary change in a centuries old tradition ? Get the damn legal rights and see how it goes. Something wrong with baby steps ?

no--what is simple is that they could drop the word "marriage" and have everything that they claim to want. Why insist on a revolutionary change in a centuries old tradition ? Get the damn legal rights and see how it goes. Something wrong with baby steps ?

And here I thought we reached the agreement that the state should re-define the LICENSE for everyone, and the churches could define the "title" as they saw fit.
Okay then, the fight is on. :woohoo:

I'm convinced their cause has nothing to do with rights or discrimination. This is about undoing the traditional family and the values that go with it. It's a political and social engineering game.

Harvey H Milk on a popsicle stick - simple as that.

And here I thought we reached the agreement that the state should re-define the LICENSE for everyone, and the churches could define the "title" as they saw fit.

fine---let the states issue a license to get hitched and leave marriage to religions. Happy ?

I'm convinced their cause has nothing to do with rights or discrimination. This is about undoing the traditional family and the values that go with it. It's a political and social engineering game.

Harvey H Milk on a popsicle stick - simple as that.

What makes you so convinced exactly ?

Public sentiment can want yet the constitution still stands.

Holy Portia de Rossi DeGeneres - Personal responsibility on a popsicle stick - simple as that. :lol:

Last edited:

fine---let the states issue a license to get hitched and leave marriage to religions. Happy ?

You absolutely refuse to fight with me. :eusa_snooty:
But yeah, I do think that would solve most of it.
:udaman::udaman:

No i think it should be the other way around. If the church still wants to have their little holy fingers in everyones life then THEY should call what THEY do

Sanctified by god.

Marriage is marriage. It is the union of two people.

No i think it should be the other way around. If the church still wants to have their little holy fingers in everyones life then THEY should call what THEY do

Sanctified by god.

right--change the church !! :lol::lol::lol:

All this discussion about the prop 8 ruling got me thinking about this from a very simple perspective. Is it fair to deny marriage to same-sex couples?

If you can, for the purposes of this discussion please do not introduce any arguments related to the Constitution, rights, or anything else of a legal nature.

It's a very simple philosophical question:

Is it fair to deny marriage to same-sex couples?

Why? Why not?

PS: Please know that declaring fair ain't got nothin' to do with it may contain some truth, but also betrays the author's implicit belief that it is not fair.

For the sake of the agrument i will be assuming that ALL other LAWS regarding "marriage" still apply. This question is only about same sex marriages.

My opinion is its no ones business who anyone else wants to marry.

Sanctified by god.

Why is that changing the church? It is what they are doing isnt it, sanctifying a marriage by god?

Sanctified by god.

Why is that changing the church? It is what they are doing isnt it, sanctifying a marriage by god?

oh please--does anyone get civil unionized in a church ? :lol:

Forum List

Back