Is Atheism Depressing?

Koios, Yes I agree that eternal life as we are now would be terrible. But it is my philosophy that we are still evolving, and we are on a long journey that will take thousands of incarnations in physical form, on many different planets. Eventually we reach a state of enlightenment and complete our karmic debts, and after that we continue to evolve spiritually as immortal beings. We are not yet what we will become, and we cannot even imagine what eternity will make of us.

Keep hope alive. Maybe you can dodge the downside of life: death.

Good luck.

Not for Christians.

We get eternal life...and the life that's coming will make this one look like a stinky, pasty shadow of nothing.

It's a warming thought.

No, it's not, as anyone with even the most cosmetic understanding of history knows.

Ah, so you've expunged the USSR, Cambodia, China, Vietnam and Korea from the record?

Not very successfully.

Why would I, child? They all back up what I've stated: they pushed personality cults and the worship of the state.

Strike one.
Please pull your historically pig-ignorant head out of your ass and try again.

Fanatics love to blithely rewrite history to promote their faith.

You're claim is the epitome of stupidity driven by religious fervor. Atheists are such fanatics...

A. I'm not rewriting history; you're running from it.
B. Atheist? Who?

Strike two.
So Atheism tends to place the state as the supreme authority. Not too healthy for humans.

No, atheism has zero do to with that, child. Atheism is simply the non-belief in a god.

Strike three.
Fanatics feverishly attempting to alter history to cover for their religion would be funny to watch - if not for all the gulags, and genocide...

No one here is denying those things occurred, child. They didn't occur because of/in the name of atheism, no matter how hard you try to spin it.
No, honey, pout all you'd like, but you saying that it's so doesn't magically make it so.

Facts exist, regardless of your fanatical devotion to your religion.

Indeed! I've spelled them out for you, and you simply run from them.
Let's have you try and be a little less stupid, hmmmm?

ROFL

Irony..

Don't try and use words you don't understand. You just look more of an idiot.

You know, I think you think you come off as superior with your ridiculous posts, but honestly, you just come off as a jackass.

Just saying.

And your personal anecdotes are relevant to atheists in general exactly how?

So the historical record is irrelevant, and personal anecdotes meaningless.

Hmmm, almost like Atheists have something (400 million murdered) to hide....

Yawn. More head-up-the-ass distortions?

Personal anecdotes cannot rationally be applied to an entire and diverse data set, Cindy.

And atheism, again, because you're stamping your ballet slippers so hard, hasn't killed anyone.

Remember our little talk about your stupidity?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

You know, I think you think you come off as superior with your ridiculous posts, but honestly, you just come off as a jackass.

Just saying.

You know, if you were even remotely intellectual honest or capable of rational discourse, I might care.

But you're not, so I don't.

Why would I, child? They all back up what I've stated: they pushed personality cults and the worship of the state.

Strike one.

What would you be like if you had even a hint of integrity?

So what was the state religion of the USSR, girly?

B. Atheist? Who?

You're lying through your teeth in an attempt to change the facts of history in hopes of covering for the crimes of your pitiful religion.

Lot's of fanatics from different faiths do the same, but Atheists and Muslims are the worst about it.

Strike two.

I'm curious, how much crack have you smoked today?

No, atheism has zero do to with that, child. Atheism is simply the non-belief in a god.

Strike three.

Oh, we can tell by your fanaticism and open dishonesty in promotion of your faith...

No one here is denying those things occurred, child. They didn't occur because of/in the name of atheism, no matter how hard you try to spin it.

Actually girly, that's exactly what your doing. Atheist Regimes butchered 400 million peace time civilians and you march up screaming "nothing to see here." Sure, you're a dishonest fucktard, but I'd bet your fanatical faith has a lot more to do with it.

"Refute" and "run' are different terms, girly.

Don't try and use words you don't understand. You just look more of an idiot.

Thanks fucktard, I'll keep that in mind.

Say, why not try a little integrity? Afraid of what it will do to your religion?

Personal anecdotes cannot rationally be applied to an entire and diverse data set, Cindy.

And atheism, again, because you're stamping your ballet slippers so hard, hasn't killed anyone.

ROFL

Fucking liars are funny,

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Say fucktard, was the USSR a Christian or Muslim theocracy?

And your personal anecdotes are relevant to atheists in general exactly how?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

I have an image of you forming in my head...

condescending-50s-guy.jpg

You come across as an ignorant douche.

Strike one.

What would you be like if you had even a hint of integrity?

So what was the state religion of the USSR, girly?

I've already stated what it was, Cindy. The cult of the state.

What would it be like if you were capable of rational thought?
B. Atheist? Who?

You're lying through your teeth in an attempt to change the facts of history in hopes of covering for the crimes of your pitiful religion.

Lot's of fanatics from different faiths do the same, but Atheists and Muslims are the worst about it.

The facts of history, which you clearly don't know, is that they didn't kill in the name of atheism. No matter how desperately you want them to have, they didn't
I'm curious, how much crack have you smoked today?

Yawn. How many times have you blown your parole officer today?
Oh, we can tell by your fanaticism and open dishonesty in promotion of your faith...

A. Haven't been dishonest here whatsoever. Just slapping you around with the facts.
B. What faith might that be, Cindy?
Actually girly, that's exactly what your doing. Atheist Regimes butchered 400 million peace time civilians and you march up screaming "nothing to see here." Sure, you're a dishonest fucktard, but I'd bet your fanatical faith has a lot more to do with it.

Of course they did. No one is denying that. But they didn't do it in the 'name of atheism' and atheism didn't kill those people.
"Refute" and "run' are different terms, girly.

Yup. And all you can do is run.
Thanks fucktard, I'll keep that in mind.

Say, why not try a little integrity? Afraid of what it will do to your religion?

I've demonstrated nothing but that. Pity you're too stupid or too much of a coward to see the plain facts.

Must suck to live in fear like you do.

ROFL

Fucking liars are funny,

Pathologically dishonest cowards like you are a dime a dozen.

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Say fucktard, was the USSR a Christian or Muslim theocracy?

Neither. It promoted the cult of the state and cults of personality.

Again: please be less stupid.

Koios, Yes I agree that eternal life as we are now would be terrible. But it is my philosophy that we are still evolving, and we are on a long journey that will take thousands of incarnations in physical form, on many different planets. Eventually we reach a state of enlightenment and complete our karmic debts, and after that we continue to evolve spiritually as immortal beings. We are not yet what we will become, and we cannot even imagine what eternity will make of us.

Keep hope alive. Maybe you can dodge the downside of life: death.

Good luck.

Not for Christians.

We get eternal life...and the life that's coming will make this one look like a stinky, pasty shadow of nothing.

It's a warming thought.

Enjoy it. Maybe an apocalyptic radical Jew got it right a coupla millennia (plus 12 years) ago, and the thousands of other creation senarios conjurred up by humans over time are all wrong.

Could be, but, it seems a stretch, to me.

FWIW

Yeah. I didn't think so.

I have an image of you forming in my head...

condescending-50s-guy.jpg

You come across as an ignorant douche.

I'm sure you've got a lot of things swimming in your pointy little head.

Hey, how's your court-ordered therapy going?

Ask them to up your meds.

Atheists aren't any more tolerant in person. I've been at work and had to listen to nasty (and completely un provoked) rants about Christians and Christianity, and been treated to random people in lines at the store making fun of Christians as well.

I have yet to unload in public about atheists.

Maybe that's your personal experience. However, I see a wealth of just that on USMB. What's more it's not a matter of personal experience. We can all see it with our own eyes.

You just said that internet rantings are irrelevant.

So what you see on usmb, by your own standard, is irrelevant.

Nice try. You know damn well that what I said was that it is problematic to base one's opinions on the personal experiences of a stranger on the Internet. You seem intelligent enough to know that's a far cry from what you just said, so I have to suspect that you're misrepresenting what I posted deliberately.

Okay. If we're going to talk about personal experiences, I guess I can play along. In my experience, I've seen people make fun of Christians. Sure. I've also seen Christians make a point to pronounce their faith proudly in public places, at times to the point of being intrusive. And what does my personal experience prove? Nothing, really. You can't verify my personal experiences any more than I can verify yours.

Yet, here on USMB, and throughout the Internet, we can see Christians attacking atheists, atheists attacking religion, Muslims and Christians attacking each other, Jews and Muslims attacking each other, insults, lies, assumptions, vitriol, and lots and lots of intolerance. It is all there for us to see and easily verifiable, and what's more I don't have to worry about whether or not a person's bias is affecting what they notice in life and what they don't.

The League of Militant Atheists! Sounds so sinister. Sure.
Sarcasm?! These people were violent and intolerant. Don't you think they were sinister?

The existence of a militant group proves the correlation between communism and atheism.
I provided other evidence.

you're dishonest. "atheists" did not murder "believers" because they were believers or to force them to be non-believers...

communists... (or what passed for communism in the soviet union) was totalitarian and killed or purged people to advance the totalitarian state.

The League of Militant Atheists! Sounds so sinister. Sure.
Sarcasm?! These people were violent and intolerant. Don't you think they were sinister?

The existence of a militant group proves the correlation between communism and atheism.
I provided other evidence.

you're dishonest. "atheists" did not murder "believers" because they were believers or to force them to be non-believers...

communists... (or what passed for communism in the soviet union) was totalitarian and killed or purged people to advance the totalitarian state.

Indeed. But in trying to get the True Believers on this thread to actually recognize history, I fear you are asking the impossible of the incapable.

Indeed. But in trying to get the True Believers on this thread to actually recognize history, I fear you are asking the impossible of the incapable.

The most adamant "true believer," fanatic in fact, that I see her is you, girly.

{ The history of Christianity in the Soviet Union was not limited to repression and secularization. Soviet policy toward religion was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism, which made atheism the official doctrine of the Soviet Union. Marxism-Leninism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and the elimination of religion.[1]}

Persecution of Christians in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gee you're a fucktard.

I mean that most sincerely.

The most adamant "true believer," fanatic in fact, that I see her is you, girly.

Newp. I've simply presented the facts and a dispassionate review of them.

You run in fear of that. Bummer.
{ The history of Christianity in the Soviet Union was not limited to repression and secularization. Soviet policy toward religion was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism, which made atheism the official doctrine of the Soviet Union. Marxism-Leninism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and the elimination of religion.[1]}

Persecution of Christians in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And they replaced it with the religion and worship of personalities (Stalin, Lenin, etc...) and the state itself.

All you're crying won't change any of that, Cindy.
Gee you're a fucktard.

I mean that most sincerely.

LOL! The deliciously ironic thing is, you wouldn't know.

Forum List

Back