Is anyone else going to enjoy "cruise season" in the Caribbean this year?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by usmbguest5318, Dec 21, 2017.

1. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    After several hurricanes, Irma in particular, devastated several Caribbean islands this past fall, I was unsure whether I'd do the "normal thing" and spend a couple weeks in the warmth of the Caribbean. Fortunately, however, the place I like to go, St. Bart's, is "open for business," so off we'll go. My kids will get there in December for Jimmy Buffet's free concert and bring in 2018 with their friends. I'll join them after the New Year's celebrations; I prefer "chillaxing" and intimate gatherings more so than for 20-something-style bacchanalia. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  2. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    If you are talking about a cruise with stops in the Carribbean, I think you can rely on the cruise line to give you a good experience, even if a destination or two is "compromised."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    Not this year, and Mexico is off..So we went to Denver in a cloud of smoke...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    I'm not specifically, but, yes, that people go on Caribbean cruises in the winter months is what gave life, as it were, to the term. I was thinking of it more in as period of time than as a thing to do. My family and I aren't cruising; we're simply going to St. Barts to party, or in my case, "chillax."

We will do a day charter for "grins," and if enough friends are there we may even do an impromptu regatta of sorts, but that's as much sailing I have planned to do. My kids may have other intentions....Depending on what they have in mind, I'll either join them or "chillax" at the house we've rented. I really just want to relax a lot, work a little, play a little, read a bit, eat good food, hang out with friends, host or attend a few smallish get-togethers, and maybe make some new acquaintances. Basically, what I normally do everyday but in a place that's not cold.

I agree.

5. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    The "go skiing as a family" or "go to the Caribbean as a family" has been annually, ever since they reached ages where I let all four of them have a say in the matter, a hotly debated topic among my kids.

I prefer the warmer getaways, mainly because we all these days independently with our respective friends take a ski weekend here and there throughout the winter. Besides, at my age, I can't afford to waste however many years of gym-fitness I have left. I gotta spend as much time as I can on the beach now while I still look good shirtless in trunks. LOL

My kids mostly just want to go wherever there'll be a good party (or a close enough approximation, which generally means some guy or gal who catches,or before caught, their fancy will be there too LOL) to which they've been invited. If their mother only knew that I've taught her children to be "playas...." LOL (She probably does know; I was one when we met.)

"Damn, 'Xelor,' all that for just one woman?...What a waste..."
    "Bestill your heart, my dear. I assure you it is not wasted."
    -- Part of a chat I had with a lady who was chatting me up over a smoothie after we'd worked out at the gym​

6. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    We usually go where it's warm also.Hawaii was a stop for several years and Mexico since 1978, but the cartels and the hurricanes have left us with little doubt about where to go..California used to go there annually till the 1980's. And Dad is in Arizona so we stay away from that state..

7. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,000
    Stuck on a boat with a spouse that you have known (in the Biblical sense) for decades -- what a prison !!

8. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,000
    Try Cancun or Cozumel instead.

9. Faun

Faun Messiah

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,186
    Yeah, just got back from one. Stopped in Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico.

10. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    Russian mafia took over and the whores are way overpriced...