Desert hiking around Phoenix AZ

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
If you go for desert hiking in Arizona, like to the Sonoran Desert National Monument, how do you arrange, that they come to search for you if you get lost?

In the lower 48 states a person can walk in any straight line direction and find a road within 24 hours....and then just follow the road . Or just buy a handheld GPS.

Last edited:
If you go for desert hiking in Arizona, like to the Sonoran Desert National Monument, how do you arrange, that they come to search for you if you get lost?
BLM lands have kiosks where you can leave your information your direction and when you plan to return. The Kiosks are checked daily. If you are not sure of finding your way back do not go. Keep your car in sight at all times, the desert is not a playground.

Don't get lost.

Learn how to navigate with and without a compass and be responsible for yourself

How long can you survive if you are lost?
I'll wager quite a while my skill set is pretty good and I always have a kit with me but then again I have never gotten lost because I know what I'm doing

You need to give word to someone what your starting point is, usually a trail head and where in general you are going to be. You may or may not have cell phone service depending on if you are down in a canyon or something. Worst case now that it's in the 70s and 40s at night you can survive for at least a couple days. Summer you could be in trouble in a few hours without water.

In the lower 48 states a person can walk in any straight line direction and find a road within 24 hours....and then just follow the road . Or just buy a handheld GPS.
Old technology. called s.p.o.t. GPS device that will not only give exact location and track you but will signal with the location for an emergency rescue upon demand. Your friends and family can track you on your hike via computer.

Forum List

Back