Is Alcoholism is a REAL Disability?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
In one of the most innovative legal arguments presented to defend the transgressions of a public official, a police chief fired for crashing while driving drunk claims to be the victim of disability discrimination based on his alcoholism.

The case involves the one-time police chief (Charles Budde) of the Kane County Forest Preserve District in Illinois. After boozing it up at a bar, the district’s top cop tried to drive home intoxicated. With a blood-alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit in Illinois, he rear ended another car seriously injuring its occupants.

With a preexisting pattern of “judgment errors,” Budde was promptly placed on administrative leave by district officials and subsequently fired. He responded with a lawsuit that claims his discharge was discriminatory based on his disability—alcoholism. In his complaint he asserts that the district failed to accommodate his disability and fired him in retaliation for requesting a reasonable accommodation.

A federal judge dismissed the suit, ruling that Budde had been fired because he clearly violated established work rules, even assuming his alcoholism was a disability. The disgraced chief appealed and this week the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit essentially upheld the lower court’s ruling.

Fired Drunk Police Chief Claims Alcoholism Disability | Judicial Watch

While I applaud the court of appeals decision, I don't think we've seen the last of the these cases yet. Bogus disability lawsuits may be the next "Twinkie defense" for the ambulance chasers.

Alcoholism is a fucking real disability, by which I mean you are so fucking disabled from being what you are supposed to be, what you could be, that some days being does not matter at all; but no alcoholic should get a fucking live for free off the public tit sticker.

I mean really now.

I am a real and serious drinker, a real drunk, (alcoholic is too clinical) I drink more than you people will ever know.

But no one shoved this shit down my throat and I still pay my own way in the world.

I still try to have one hell of a good time in the mean time.

And if it all goes to shit I will sit under a Boab Tree in Kings Park drinking until the last susnet.

If you want to give me change you can, but I will never beg for it.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
Initially life is birth, eventually life is death.

Sorry, I can't find a punch line in that.

Last edited:
The only thing worse than giving alcoholics a disability check is giving drug addicts a disability check.

Chronic alcoholism can be a disability. I've seen people who were given disability because they will literally die if they don't drink throughout the day (alcohol is the only drug that can result in death from withdrawal).

It is the worst of all the drugs.

Alcoholism got classified as a disease because many of those in power are alkies.

Last edited:
The brains of alcoholics are changed by their addiction. They really do have a problem - but it is self-induced. Just as the severely obese, smokers, etc. often self-induce their disabilities. None of them should be on the dole, imo.

Disability claims are at an all time "high" in America.
My neighbor is on social security disability and draws over 2 K a month. She proudly displays her disability sticker on her truck as she trailers her horses to events state wide.
The woman rides horses and competes, does yard work and lives the life of leisure.
Just like 60% of all of those on disability.
Addiction is the only disease that isn't a disease for those afflicted with no hands.
If you can walk and talk with a clear mind then your ass is not disabled.

In one of the most innovative legal arguments presented to defend the transgressions of a public official, a police chief fired for crashing while driving drunk claims to be the victim of disability discrimination based on his alcoholism.

The case involves the one-time police chief (Charles Budde) of the Kane County Forest Preserve District in Illinois. After boozing it up at a bar, the district’s top cop tried to drive home intoxicated. With a blood-alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit in Illinois, he rear ended another car seriously injuring its occupants.

With a preexisting pattern of “judgment errors,” Budde was promptly placed on administrative leave by district officials and subsequently fired. He responded with a lawsuit that claims his discharge was discriminatory based on his disability—alcoholism. In his complaint he asserts that the district failed to accommodate his disability and fired him in retaliation for requesting a reasonable accommodation.

A federal judge dismissed the suit, ruling that Budde had been fired because he clearly violated established work rules, even assuming his alcoholism was a disability. The disgraced chief appealed and this week the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit essentially upheld the lower court’s ruling.

Fired Drunk Police Chief Claims Alcoholism Disability | Judicial Watch

While I applaud the court of appeals decision, I don't think we've seen the last of the these cases yet. Bogus disability lawsuits may be the next "Twinkie defense" for the ambulance chasers.

I don't think so.

I think some people are just weak.

they NEEED crutches or support or....something...

some weak people become addicted to alcohol
some to drugs
some to religion
some to hate radio
some to tea partys

Disability claims are at an all time "high" in America.
My neighbor is on social security disability and draws over 2 K a month. She proudly displays her disability sticker on her truck as she trailers her horses to events state wide.
The woman rides horses and competes, does yard work and lives the life of leisure.
Just like 60% of all of those on disability.
Addiction is the only disease that isn't a disease for those afflicted with no hands.
If you can walk and talk with a clear mind then your ass is not disabled.

You can't walk and talk with a clear mind if you're drunk.
And if it will kill you to quit drinking, you're disabled.

All of the above is true ... but for purposes of EEOC complaints and lawsuits it is considered a disability for discrimination charges.

Thanks granny That's what I thought. The guy was fired because he DROVE drunk and driving is part of his job But so is using a gun...

I have a feeling this defense (amongst other "disabilities") will be used to file wrongful termination claims. And it won't be long before drunks and druggies will get a pass to teach our kids or construct our bridges. The ADA is far too over reaching in my opinion.

Very, very rarely, and only in heavily dependent, sick users.
I worked in treatment and never heard of anyone dying from heroin withdrawal. While we were required to hospitalize people for alcohol detox, we didn't have to for heroin. They would be miserable, but not sick like alcoholics get.

The liver shuts down with alcoholics who are alcohol dependent and stop cold turkey. With heroin, while the ticker could potentially stop, it's not the same.

"Unlike most withdrawals from other drugs, alcohol withdrawal can be fatal."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal

Last edited:
Chronic alcoholism can be a disability. I've seen people who were given disability because they will literally die if they don't drink throughout the day (alcohol is the only drug that can result in death from withdrawal).

It is the worst of all the drugs.

Cmon Allie---they can be given drugs to take the place of alcohol but DT's can certainly cause seizures and death

'There is a disease like element to it, but strong will can overcome it, and usually abusing it is what leads to the alcoholism. Some people do have strong genetic predisposition to it,a nd it is a physiological response that leads people to crave it, but its very close to pretty much any addiction. So I do know its very very hard to fight it off, but ultimately its on the person, not some "disease" that they can't control.

No way shoudl someone be able to sue for discrimination if they are drunk at work. Plenty of alcoholics don't drink during the day but do at night, and they don't get discriminated against. Show up to work drunk or high, sorry, that's on you.

Forum List

Back