Is a personally signed item still worth a lot of money?

JOSweetHeart

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2012
East Tennessee
The reason why I am asking this is because my mom once had a personally signed poster of someone stolen from her. Her name was on it and everything and since then I've wondered if the person who stole it would have had the ability to get any money for it since it most likely was not their name that was on it anyway.

God bless you and my mom always!!!

Holly

Last edited:
From the limited amount I know about collectibles, unless the piece was very rare I would think it's unlikely to be worth much money.

If you really want to know, go search eBay for a similar item and if you find some, watch them sell. Don't go by "Buy it Now" prices -- those are never realistic. You'll have to watch them to see what they actually sell for in an auction.

The name does not matter normally, just the famous person. I hope you find it.

It depends on who the famous person was and when in their career.
The reason why I am asking this is because my mom once had a personally signed poster of someone stolen from her. Her name was on it and everything and since then I've wondered if the person who stole it would have had the ability to get any money for it since it most likely was not their name that was on it anyway.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

^^^ Its a signed poster of one of her favorite singers, Aaron Tippin that is, and she got it personally signed by him in 2000 right when one of his biggest songs was leaving its mark in country music.

Thank you, but its been 15 years now since it was stolen from her. Most likely who ever took it just kept it for themselves. I was just wondering if they could get anything for it if they ever did want to sell it.

God bless you two and my mom and Aaron always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

WHAT item, signed by whom, to whom, owned by whom, how long ago, is it provable and what's "a lot of money" to you? everything about "collecting" is based upon "someone else will be more stupid than me about spending money on this".

i've seen people ASKING $1500 or more for one of my 'how to" books, when they could buy the same book, brand new, on the same site, for $15? I asked the guy what he'd pay me to autograph a few of them, no answer. :)

^^^ Its a signed poster of one of her favorite singers, Aaron Tippin that is, and she got it personally signed by him in 2000 right when one of his biggest songs was leaving its mark in country music.

Thank you, but its been 15 years now since it was stolen from her. Most likely who ever took it just kept it for themselves. I was just wondering if they could get anything for it if they ever did want to sell it.

God bless you two and my mom and Aaron always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I searched eBay for "signed Aaron Tippin posters" and based on a quick review I think we can safely say the answer to your question is no, they probably can't get money for it. At least not anything worth the trouble of selling it. The entries I saw were asking ten bucks, and apparently that's not selling so some are dropping prices to $7.50. And those are asking prices -- doesn't mean they're selling even at those prices.

^^^ That is how things are now, and now Aaron is not a front burner singer like he used to be then. That is why I was asking. If the person who stole it was going to try and get money for it, it would have been back then when Aaron was all over the radio still. That is why I was wondering about this. If the person's intention was never to keep it for themselves, but to get whatever they could for it, how much could they have ended up with if any considering the fact that another name besides his name was on it. Like say that that this had just happened to someone who is a big Dierks Bentley fan for example with him being a really big singer in country music right now. He personally signs something for a person and it ends up in the possession of someone else. Would that someone else be able to get any real money for it even though another person's name is on it besides Dierks's name.

God bless you and him and Aaron always!!!

Holly

^^^ That is how things are now, and now Aaron is not a front burner singer like he used to be then. That is why I was asking. If the person who stole it was going to try and get money for it, it would have been back then when Aaron was all over the radio still. That is why I was wondering about this. If the person's intention was never to keep it for themselves, but to get whatever they could for it, how much could they have ended up with if any considering the fact that another name besides his name was on it. Like say that that this had just happened to someone who is a big Dierks Bentley fan for example with him being a really big singer in country music right now. He personally signs something for a person and it ends up in the possession of someone else. Would that someone else be able to get any real money for it even though another person's name is on it besides Dierks's name.

God bless you and him and Aaron always!!!

Holly

Actually being real popular usually makes it less likely to have any value. Unless you've got some artifact from somebody when they were nobody, i.e. before anybody had reason to collect them. Let's say if you had a record in new condition by the Golliwogs, who at the time nobody knew would later rename themselves Creedence Clearwater Revival -- you'd have something valuable.

I sold a record recently by a group called Chamaleon Church. The only record they ever made, circa 1970. I got ten bucks for it, simply because the drummer in that group was Chevy Chase.

^^^ But would a signed item loose value if another person's name was on it as well or would it be just as valuable even if it just had the celebrity's name on it?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Thank you for all that you have shared with me. :) :) :)

^^^ But would a signed item loose value if another person's name was on it as well or would it be just as valuable even if it just had the celebrity's name on it?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Thank you for all that you have shared with me. :) :) :)

I'm not sure about that -- to stickler collectors who insist on pristine condition, an owner's name written on it usually detracts from value. But if we're not dealing with a potentially valuable item in the first place, there's not much to detract.

PS you're very welcome. :)

Forum List

Back