Irish advice columns from 1967-1972 reveal much about attitudes in Ireland 50 years ago

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
I wonder did Marion of Rathmines marry her boyfriend, who had long hair and mod clothes.

He is probably bald by now, and I doubt he is still interested in fashion

boy-trouble.jpg

Irish advice columns from 1967-1972 reveal much about attitudes in Ireland 50 years ago

I wonder did Marion of Rathmines marry her boyfriend, who had long hair and mod clothes.

He is probably bald by now, and I doubt he is still interested in fashion

boy-trouble.jpg

So, the moral of the news clipping is suck up like mad and maybe one day they'll tolerate you. That's the way to build family times, huh? Me thinks not. Now, fifty years later, more or less, I'm not into "tolerating" anyone, and I'll suck up to no one as that does absolutely nothing for building solid relationships.

Bigots are bigots. Reasoning doesn't sway instinct. I find its people who cant live and let live that are the bigots. Prejudice is normal and fine. Acting on prejudice is not.

About 30,000 people every year from all over the world apply for the chance to stand inside an ancient Irish structure on December 21 to witness the genius of the ancient Irish when a sunlight dagger penetrates the interior structure at sunrise only during the winter solstice and only 20 are accepted. Hundreds stand outside the ancient structure for the chance to be on hallowed ancient ground during the winter solstice. Pop culture Irish would rather talk about advice to stupid teens. Go figure.

I'm highlighting the massive change in attitudes in fifty years.

The advice is so quaint from today's viewpoint, but at least the drug ice wasn't a problem back then.

Bigots are bigots. Reasoning doesn't sway instinct. I find its people who cant live and let live that are the bigots. Prejudice is normal and fine. Acting on prejudice is not.

What the hell did you say here??? Complete gibberish and contradiction. My gosh, did you have a stroke?

About 30,000 people every year from all over the world apply for the chance to stand inside an ancient Irish structure on December 21 to witness the genius of the ancient Irish when a sunlight dagger penetrates the interior structure at sunrise only during the winter solstice and only 20 are accepted. Hundreds stand outside the ancient structure for the chance to be on hallowed ancient ground during the winter solstice.

And this has what to do with the thread exactly?

What the hell did you say here??? Complete gibberish and contradiction. My gosh, did you have a stroke?
What I'm saying is, opinions don't hurt people, one's treatment of people hurts people.

What I'm saying is, opinions don't hurt people, one's treatment of people hurts people.

Beg your pardon!!! Opinions MOST definitely do hurt others, they destroy, they most times are unjust (we all know what injustice does), they scar both emotionally and mentally, they undermine, they create low self esteem, they cause inferiority complexes... Treatment is minuscule by comparison.

Beg your pardon!!! Opinions MOST definitely do hurt others, they destroy, they most times are unjust (we all know what injustice does), they scar both emotionally and mentally, they undermine, they create low self esteem, they cause inferiority complexes... Treatment is minuscule by comparison.
So you are saying that if a man has a low opinion of blacks when he's behind closed doors then that's worse than if he discrimites against black customers at his work?

So you are saying that if a man has a low opinion of blacks when he's behind closed doors then that's worse than if he discrimites against black customers at his work?

Huh??? Question: do you read, anything, AND do you comprehend anything???? Where does this shit originate from!?! I was responding to the previous post that said: ...opinions don't hurt people...treatment of people hurt people. That has zero to do with whatever the fuck you posted. Goose to earth...come on now.

About 30,000 people every year from all over the world apply for the chance to stand inside an ancient Irish structure on December 21 to witness the genius of the ancient Irish when a sunlight dagger penetrates the interior structure at sunrise only during the winter solstice and only 20 are accepted. Hundreds stand outside the ancient structure for the chance to be on hallowed ancient ground during the winter solstice.

And this has what to do with the thread exactly?
If the modern Irish want to bore Americans with their pop-culture mentality on an American message board I reserve the right to remind them that the rich Irish history extends more than fifty years.

Forum List

Back