Iran erupts in Protests!!

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
Iran streets, campuses erupt in protest -- latimes.com

Reporting from Beirut - Campuses across Iran erupted in protests Monday as defiant college students chanting anti-government slogans clashed with security forces armed with clubs in a forceful new round of confrontations over the nation's disputed June presidential election.

The daylong protests on National Students Day were not as large in Tehran as those that broke out in the days after the reelection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. But they took place in a larger number of cities and towns and followed weeks of ominous warnings by security officials. They continued through the day despite efforts by security forces arrayed on streets and inside campuses.

Outside of Tehran, the first large-scale civil unrest since early November broke out in ethnic Kurdish and Azeri regions, which have often clashed with the Tehran government. Those areas had thus far been relatively quiet in the election protest movement dominated by middle-class urbanites.

The protests received wide international coverage despite a government ban on foreign media and large-scale filtering of websites and the shutting down of some telecommunications services.

"Students were really brave," said one Iranian journalist who covered the events for the local reformist press. "They said all they needed to say today. The way ahead is long. But the goal is achievable."

But the protest movement born out of the disputed election loss of former Prime Minister Mir-Hossein Mousavi appears to have grown more radical. Fewer of the slogans were aimed at Ahmadinejad and more at Iran's theocracy-based political system, a shift that could alienate potential opposition supporters but also further galvanize protesters and serve to destabilize the Islamic Republic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's arm those protestors and allow them to take back their freedom and maybe, just maybe, we won't have to deal with an Iranian nuke aimed at Israel or the U.S by a bunch of murdering psychopaths who think they will go to heaven and be rewarded with 76 virgins should they blow up the world.

It's not the government so much, it's religion. They want religion out of government. The opposite of what Republicans here want.

HEAR THAT REPUBLICANS? WATCH AND LEARN ABOUT IRAN. KEEP RELIGION OUT OF GOVENMENT!!!!

It's not the government so much, it's religion. They want religion out of government. The opposite of what Republicans here want.

HEAR THAT REPUBLICANS? WATCH AND LEARN ABOUT IRAN. KEEP RELIGION OUT OF GOVENMENT!!!!
SCREW the Religion aspect of it. It's STATISM, no matter if you DO call it a Religion...

But what is LOVE of Government but a RELIGION in of itself?

NO...this is a Matter of LIBERTY of Oppressed peoples that have had it with the Statism/Totalitarianism of the Government by FIAT.

Just a bunch of "smart ass" students causing trouble.

The legal and popular elected government will soon come down hard on this small group of malcontents.

They need to be taught a lesson and those who have broken the law should be punished.

The legal and popular elected government will soon come down hard on this small group of malcontents.

They need to be taught a lesson and those who have broken the law should be punished.

I am hoping this is sarcasm....

arming the students or giving the rangers a silent few weeks over there would be best

No, my post wasn't sarcasm.

Iran has a democratically elected government that is supported by the majority of the people.

There is a small minority of students and other criminals who are throwing rocks at police and over turning cars while setting them on fire.

Our counrty would act the same towards rioters.

Americans support law and order.

So we should respect Iran's right to make their streets safe and lock up these radical protesters. :doubt:

Iran has a democratically elected government that is supported by the majority of the people.

There is a small minority of students and other criminals who are throwing rocks at police and over turning cars while setting them on fire.

So we should respect Iran's right to make their streets safe and lock up these radical protesters. :doubt:

Thank you. You prove my point.

A "democraticly" elected government with ALL of the candidates hand picked by the clergy. Yea, some democracy. Republicans want to do that here.

vote fraud, jailing/killing peaceful protestors and journallists, handpicked candidates, etc. how can you even compare that to here?

vote fraud, jailing/killing peaceful protestors and journallists, handpicked candidates, etc. how can you even compare that to here?
We don't do none of that here???

Remember the Gore/Bush election? Seems like we had a little vote manipulation :doubt:

Jailing/killing peaceful protesters? I remember Kent State where students wee murdered by Guardsmen and the Chicago Democratic Convention where thousands of protesters where beaten by police. :doubt:

Hand picked canidates? Are not all of our canidates hand picked by the powers that be? :doubt:

Last edited:

I suppose that is one view.
The opposing view is that the election was stolen, the votes deliberately falsified or miscounted.
Iran has a demographic shift underway as the moderate youth reaches voting age. As soon as the moderates are in charge the Islamic state will end and a secular one will be put in its place. Zoroastrianism might even make a revival, which would be a good thing as it would end the stranglehold Islam has on the Iranian people.

Unless the criminals in the government manage to keep miscounting the votes to remain in power.
Perhaps you have never heard of such happening.

I suppose that is one view.
The opposing view is that the election was stolen, the votes deliberately falsified or miscounted.
Iran has a demographic shift underway as the moderate youth reaches voting age. As soon as the moderates are in charge the Islamic state will end and a secular one will be put in its place. Zoroastrianism might even make a revival, which would be a good thing as it would end the stranglehold Islam has on the Iranian people.

Unless the criminals in the government manage to keep miscounting the votes to remain in power.
Perhaps you have never heard of such happening.

Vote was stolen? Still can't get over Flroida 2000 huh?

[quoteIran erupts in Protests!! ][/quote]

And Obama doesn't have the guts to get his hands dirty and take advantage of this!

Mike

Remember the Gore/Bush election? Seems like we had a little vote manipulation :doubt:

Jailing/killing peaceful protesters? I remember Kent State where students wee murdered by Guardsmen and the Chicago Democratic Convention where thousands of protesters where beaten by police. :doubt:

Hand picked canidates? Are not all of our canidates hand picked by the powers that be? :doubt:

ahuh ........... Jump on the Magical Unicorn with Obama!

Mike

Mike

Kent State massacre or the beatings in Chicage didn't happen???

Mike

Kent State massacre or the beatings in Chicage didn't happen???

You know, being a gay Israeli, I would think that you would welcome the unrest in Iran!

Your references have nothing to do with this.

Mike

Forum List

Back