Iowa Republicans wince at Sarah Palin's $100K speaking fee

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
A conservative Iowa group’s effort to lure Sarah Palin to its banquet next month has had an unintended effect: Rather than exciting conservatives about the prospect of a visit from the former Alaska governor, the group’s plan to raise a six-figure sum to bring her to the state has GOP activists recoiling at the thought of paying to land a politician's speaking appearance.

The Iowa Family Policy Center’s effort to cobble together $100,000 for Palin would represent a striking departure from customary practice in the first-in-the-nation state, these Republicans say, noting that a generation of White House hopefuls has paid their own way to boost their party and presidential ambitions.

Were Palin to appear in Iowa on November 21st, it would mark her first trip back to the state since she spoke to a handful of rallies there last fall as the GOP’s vice-presidential nominee. She would offer powerful counter-programming to another major political event that night: The Iowa Democratic Party’s Jefferson-Jackson Dinner with Vice-President Joe Biden as the headliner.

But representatives from other Iowa-based political advocacy groups said they would never consider shelling out money for what many politicians see as a privilege: the opportunity to speak to a room full of sure-fire caucus-goers who often serve as precinct captains and can be instrumental to a presidential candidate’s success.

“If somebody tells me they want me to pay an appearance fee, it tells me they’re not very serious about running for president,” said Ed Failor, Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief and an influential GOP insider.

It's all about the money for Palin now. And all of these "conservatives" are falling for it. BEAUTIFUL!

I think it's always been all about money for Palin...other wise she would have never quit in the middle of her term to become a paid shill for the nutters.

So, with Palin out and now Gingrich out thanks to his comments on NY23....where the hell does the GOP turn in 2012?

A conservative Iowa group’s effort to lure Sarah Palin to its banquet next month has had an unintended effect: Rather than exciting conservatives about the prospect of a visit from the former Alaska governor, the group’s plan to raise a six-figure sum to bring her to the state has GOP activists recoiling at the thought of paying to land a politician's speaking appearance.

The Iowa Family Policy Center’s effort to cobble together $100,000 for Palin would represent a striking departure from customary practice in the first-in-the-nation state, these Republicans say, noting that a generation of White House hopefuls has paid their own way to boost their party and presidential ambitions.

Were Palin to appear in Iowa on November 21st, it would mark her first trip back to the state since she spoke to a handful of rallies there last fall as the GOP’s vice-presidential nominee. She would offer powerful counter-programming to another major political event that night: The Iowa Democratic Party’s Jefferson-Jackson Dinner with Vice-President Joe Biden as the headliner.

But representatives from other Iowa-based political advocacy groups said they would never consider shelling out money for what many politicians see as a privilege: the opportunity to speak to a room full of sure-fire caucus-goers who often serve as precinct captains and can be instrumental to a presidential candidate’s success.

“If somebody tells me they want me to pay an appearance fee, it tells me they’re not very serious about running for president,” said Ed Failor, Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief and an influential GOP insider.

It's all about the money for Palin now. And all of these "conservatives" are falling for it. BEAUTIFUL!

LMAO...spoken by a liberal who supports a president who has spent 26 days and/or nights at fundraisers while we have brave men and women waitring for him to decide if he should give them the support they need.

And HE is supposed ot be working for the people...not for his party's financial needs.

But please....continue with the hypocrisy.

LMAO...spoken by a liberal who supports a president who has spent 26 days and/or nights at fundraisers while we have brave men and women waitring for him to decide if he should give them the support they need.

And HE is supposed ot be working for the people...not for his party's financial needs.

Do you REALLY want to get into a discussion about hypocrisy, neocon???

487 Days At Camp David For Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
He will likely miss the place: According to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, today's trip marks Mr. Bush's 149th visit to the presidential retreat. The planned three-day stay, during which the president is being joined by family and former and current aides, will bring his total time spent at Camp David to all or part of 487 days.
Yes, that's 487 days. And Camp David is not even where the president has spent the most time when not at the White House: Knoller reports that Mr. Bush has made 77 visits to his ranch in Crawford during his presidency, and spent all or part of 490 days there.

Do you REALLY want to get into a discussion about hypocrisy, neocon???

487 Days At Camp David For Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
He will likely miss the place: According to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, today's trip marks Mr. Bush's 149th visit to the presidential retreat. The planned three-day stay, during which the president is being joined by family and former and current aides, will bring his total time spent at Camp David to all or part of 487 days.
Yes, that's 487 days. And Camp David is not even where the president has spent the most time when not at the White House: Knoller reports that Mr. Bush has made 77 visits to his ranch in Crawford during his presidency, and spent all or part of 490 days there.

Nah....I have better things to do than to make yopu look sillier than you already look.

Besides.....I simply pointed out the hypocrisy of your post....I have no interest in backing up anyone other than myself as it pertains to their hypoicrisy...

Politicians are ALL hypocrites.

So, please...move along now. You are best to leave well enough alone.

The left is really against Free Market Capitalism. If the Iowan group doesn't want to pay the bucks, maybe they should try Sean Penn. Others will pay for the 100,000 fee. These posts on this thread are really unbelievable. Sorry to interrupt, please carry on.

The left is really against Free Market Capitalism. If the Iowan group doesn't want to pay the bucks, maybe they should try Sean Penn. Others will pay for the 100,000 fee. These posts on this thread are really unbelievable. Sorry to interrupt, please carry on.
you missed the point of the article!
Most politicians especially ones who are rumored to be running for president one day usually jump at the opportunity to speak in Iowa.

This quote says it all, "If somebody tells me they want me to pay an appearance fee, it tells me they’re not very serious about running for president,” said Ed Failor, Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief and an influential GOP insider.

If she can get that dollar amount for her services as a speaker... great... if not... who cares??

But at least the market for her services will determine whether she gets that pay or not

Oh... and already funny to see the obligatory 'But Boooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhh' post by one of the wingers... priceless

So, with Palin out and now Gingrich out thanks to his comments on NY23....where the hell does the GOP turn in 2012?

I heard a rumor that Huckabee is back on his diet. That might be a clue:lol::lol:

I hate to keep bring this up....but, wasn't it Hillary that the right was calling the "ordained one" leading up to the presidential campaign? Who on the left really considered obama until after the primaries were going on?
Some of you people are not acting very intelligent on this.

If she can get that dollar amount for her services as a speaker... great... if not... who cares??

But at least the market for her services will determine whether she gets that pay or not

Oh... and already funny to see the obligatory 'But Boooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhh' post by one of the wingers... priceless

the point is she should be so greedy when she is trying to gain support if she is going to run for president.
Bush can get whatever he wants he isn't going to be running for office.

Most politicians especially ones who are rumored to be running for president one day usually jump at the opportunity to speak in Iowa.

This quote says it all, "If somebody tells me they want me to pay an appearance fee, it tells me they’re not very serious about running for president,” said Ed Failor, Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief and an influential GOP insider.

Most on the right never really did take her as a serious presidential nominee, It was the left that were hyperventilating over the possibility.

Last edited:

the point is she should be so greedy when she is trying to gain support if she is going to run for president.
Bush can get whatever he wants he isn't going to be running for office.

And who the fuck cares?? If she wants to go that route, so be it.. If she chooses not to to go in some 'presidential' route, so be it... If she goes for the money AND decides on some presidential run, so be it....

Most on the right never really did take her as a serious presidential nominee, It was the left that were hyperventilating over the possibility.

I would love for her to be the presidental nominee! ;)
Especially if she keeps pulling this kind of crap.:lol:

I heard a rumor that Huckabee is back on his diet. That might be a clue:lol::lol:

I hate to keep bring this up....but, wasn't it Hillary that the right was calling the "ordained one" leading up to the presidential campaign? Who on the left really considered obama until after the primaries were going on?
Some of you people are not acting very intelligent on this.

And that has what to do with what?

I would love for her to be the presidental nominee! ;)
Especially if she keeps pulling this kind of crap.:lol:

When Obama became more and more popular earlier in the Primaries, many conservatives and republicans, myself included, posted on boards such as this making very similar jokes.....because we were nervous about the candidate.

Hmmm......

Forum List

Back