Iowa professor thinks Hawkeyes’ mascot is too mean-looking

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
919.gif

This is Herky. Herky is the official mascot for the University of Iowa. He is a bird that somehow has a full set of teeth, but don’t hold that against him.

Herky the Hawk on Twitter

Anyway, Herky has come under fire from a professor at Iowa’s medical school who thinks his constant state of angered agitation is just too much for the delicate souls who could encounter him at a Hawkeyes sporting event.

“I believe incoming students should be met with welcoming, nurturing, calm, accepting and happy messages,” Resmiye Oral, a clinical professor of pediatrics at UI, wrote recently in an email to UI athletic department officials that was obtained by the Press-Citizen. “And our campus community is doing a great job in that regard when it comes to words. However, Herky’s angry, to say the least, faces conveying an invitation to aggressivity and even violence are not compatible with the verbal messages that we try to convey to and instill in our students and campus community.”

Oral apparently was moved to action by a series of posters and fliers that welcomed students back to campus and featured Herky’s terrifying image:

Iowa professor thinks Hawkeyes’ mascot is too mean-looking

a football mascot
men bashing each other like a game of war, even being carried off in stretchers and years later having brain damage
cheer leaders singing smash 'um, bash 'um, put 'um in the ground...
and they are concerned about a mascot????
What do they want, the strawberry short cake gang or my little pony

Kids are playing helo and grand theft auto and watching Freddy and Jason slice people to confettii but they are worried about a mascot?

Time warp me back to reality

a football mascot
men bashing each other like a game of war, even being carried off in stretchers and years later having brain damage

Kids are playing helo and grand theft auto and watching Freddy and Jason slice people to confettii but they are worried about a mascot?

Welcome to today's college campus.

a football mascot

University of Chicago sent a letter to each student a few days ago telling them that they are adults now and U of Chicago does not provide "Safe Zones" for the weak of heart. All the other namby pamby schools have safe zones.

HAHAHAHA If I were the professor I wouldn't be whining about anything or anyone being scary looking...she looks like a loon from the left. In fact she looks like a transgender. Gawd females on the left are hideous creatures

ImageHandler.ashx

a football mascot

These kids/young adults are about to enter the real world and some might end up going to a real war. These are people that will have to face rape, harassment, conflict and even drug overdoses in school. When are they going to carry this country through the next several generations if they sit around with lollipops, bumper pads and fluffy cartoons. Even Pokemon are not all nice critters. Time to grow up.
I've know kids five years their junior that actually fought and died in war. I've witnessed assassinations and massacres before I was in college. When are these student supposed to face the real world, when they are ready for retirement?
My kids have seen and helped at car accidents on the highway and my son had saved three people on his own before he was out of high school.

We want to create leaders in every field for the next half century not thousands of ticket venders for small world at disneyland

Parents and student are paying for an education not a kindergarten/day care

These are people who drink, drive and even have families of their own, in smoe cases. They might have part time jobs as well as a full load of classes. These are not babies, they are adults now.

What next middle school without Knight, Cavaliers, Pirates, Sharks or Tigers?

Bunnies, kittens, puppies, downy ducks and guppies instead? Not intimidating or strong figures to emulate in sports.

HAHAHAHA If I were the professor I wouldn't be whining about anything or anyone being scary looking...she looks like a loon from the left. In fact she looks like a transgender. Gawd females on the left are hideous creatures

ImageHandler.ashx

Hey, hey, hey. Go easy there on the looks.

Time travel can do a number on anyone.

latest

ImageHandler.ashx

let her run a class of knitting after school or baking cupcakes for parent teachers days. She has no business raising the next generations of leaders.
College is not kindergarten. Let her care for infants and toddlers, not nineteen and twenty something adults

College is not kindergarten. Let her care for infants and toddlers, not nineteen and twenty something adults

Unfortunately, college has become kindergarten. A liberal fantasy land taught by people who were raised and nurtured in the insulated bubble of the theoretical. They've never experienced the claws and fangs of reality.

Fortunately, our next generation is fortified with twenty somethings who have passed through the crucible. I trust our future with them. The college pansies will wilt or grow thorns when they face the outside world.

polls_Blacksoldiertears_5127_895144_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Unfortunately, college has become kindergarten. A liberal fantasy land taught by people who were raised and nurtured in the insulated bubble of the theoretical. They've never experienced the claws and fangs of reality.

Fortunately, our next generation is fortified with twenty somethings who have passed through the crucible. I trust our future with them. The college pansies will wilt or grow thorns when they face the outside world.

The current crop of young people in the military are some of the most outstanding people I have seen in my lifetime. I have no doubts about their value to the future of this country.

I guess we'll just have to go to professional "flag" football teams next.
After that, the complaint will be that chasing each other is considered "aggression" and must be stopped. Thus ends most sports.

Wow, they make it sound like this is the worst thing that could be out there. A mean looking mascot should be the least of their worries!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

upload_2016-8-30_22-59-16.png

Forum List

Back