Iowa Hospital Announces Layoffs Due to Obamacare

BrightBod

Rookie
Apr 22, 2014
need to delete because i just realized it didn't meet guidelines.

Last edited:
Des Moines, IA NBC affiliate WHO recently reported that Mercy Medical Center, a hospital in Des Moines, has had to lay off 29 people, which is attributed in part to the Obamacare law according to Bob Ritz, president of Mercy Medical Center.

“As the Federal Government and State payment systems continue to ratchet down on what they pay us and our costs go up, we have to look for opportunities to create cost efficiencies,” Ritz said. “And one way you do that is you reduce your management costs. So if we have a department that has a director and a manager and two supervisors for let’s say 75 staff, we may remove one of those positions to what we say are the layers of management.”

Mercy Medical Center Forced to Layoff Employees Because of Obamacare

One of Des Moines’ main hospital and clinic systems laid off 29 employees this week as part of an attempt to cut $15 million in payroll costs.

Mercy President Bob Ritz told employees that the cuts were needed to deal with financial strains, including low payments from public and private health-insurance programs.

“It may be small comfort to those negatively impacted, but please know Mercy is not alone in facing these challenges,” Ritz wrote in a memo to employees. “Many Iowa hospitals are faring worse and losing money. Several have implemented similar cost-cutting measures, including downsizing of staff.”

Fascinating! The OP proclaims that these layoffs are due to "Obamacare", yet not one quoted word mentions either "Obamacare" or ACA. My guess is that the poster is Karnack the Magnificent, and was able to determine the reason for the layoffs.

Or could it be that privately owned HMO's (which contract with the federal government to handle their employees) and state government (which contracts with the hospitals to handle Medicaid patients) are negotiating hospital rates downward, like they have been doing every year since 1981?

Last edited:
Des Moines, IA NBC affiliate WHO recently reported that Mercy Medical Center, a hospital in Des Moines, has had to lay off 29 people, which is attributed in part to the Obamacare law according to Bob Ritz, president of Mercy Medical Center.

“As the Federal Government and State payment systems continue to ratchet down on what they pay us and our costs go up, we have to look for opportunities to create cost efficiencies,” Ritz said. “And one way you do that is you reduce your management costs. So if we have a department that has a director and a manager and two supervisors for let’s say 75 staff, we may remove one of those positions to what we say are the layers of management.”

Mercy Medical Center Forced to Layoff Employees Because of Obamacare

One of Des Moines’ main hospital and clinic systems laid off 29 employees this week as part of an attempt to cut $15 million in payroll costs.

Mercy President Bob Ritz told employees that the cuts were needed to deal with financial strains, including low payments from public and private health-insurance programs.

“It may be small comfort to those negatively impacted, but please know Mercy is not alone in facing these challenges,” Ritz wrote in a memo to employees. “Many Iowa hospitals are faring worse and losing money. Several have implemented similar cost-cutting measures, including downsizing of staff.”

Fascinating! The OP proclaims that these layoffs are due to "Obamacare", yet not one quoted word mentions either "Obamacare" or ACA. My guess is that the poster is Karnack the Magnificent, and was able to determine the reason for the layoffs.

Or could it be that privately owned HMO's (which contract with the federal government to handle their employees) and state government (which contracts with the hospitals to handle Medicaid patients) are negotiating hospital rates downward, like they have been doing every year since 1981?

why that couldn't be it now could it ??? the sane reason !!!

oh this is JUST A START to reach the goals of, OScamCare to destroy our health care and replace it with:

The CBO has acknowledged that the PPACA will cost jobs in the healthcare industry. Why can't you just accept that aspect of it? Where do you think these savings and reduced costs are going to come from that do not affect jobs? It is what it is, warts and all.

The CBO has acknowledged that the PPACA will cost jobs in the healthcare industry. Why can't you just accept that aspect of it? Where do you think these savings and reduced costs are going to come from that do not affect jobs? It is what it is, warts and all.

Most New Jobs : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You sure?

Most New Jobs : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You sure?

I'll have to go back and find it. It was something in the 2014-2024 Budget Outlook by the CBO.

It may be that jobs will be lost in the healthcare industry.......more than likely on the administrative side. But there is clearly a shortage of medical professionals. I don't think jobs will be lost there for some time.

The net.......an increase.

wow, go stand in line..Hope it's not too late when you need heart surgery
The Va hospitals and all their problems wasn't enough for you fools

Staph.....have you taken the time to thank your fellow USMB members today?

The VA model largely needs to be abandoned. It served its purpose well for awhile. Other than keeping a few places like Reed or Bethesda open in big cities where there is a lot of demand so we have them for freshly wounded troops, most of them should be shuttered as they are little more than a place for old soldiers to go die for free. Just give Vets better insurance and let them see the cardiologist in their town instead of having to drive an hour or two for a follow up, and die in their local nursing home where their family can more readily be with them.

The VA model largely needs to be abandoned. It served its purpose well for awhile. Other than keeping a few places like Reed or Bethesda open in big cities where there is a lot of demand so we have them for freshly wounded troops, most of them should be shuttered as they are little more than a place for old soldiers to go die for free. Just give Vets better insurance and let them see the cardiologist in their town instead of having to drive an hour or two for a follow up, and die in their local nursing home where their family can more readily be with them.

That would cost more. So it won't happen.

Doesn't change that is what needs to be done. I knew a woman in my neighborhood who wasn't able to go see her husband for the last weeks of his life because he was at the VA 90 minutes away and she was unable to make that trip one way, let alone both, because she was in such bad shape herself. It was kind of sad. There was nothing she could have done to change anything, but after spending a lifetime together, it was a shame they couldn't spend those last weeks together.

Doesn't change that is what needs to be done. I knew a woman in my neighborhood who wasn't able to go see her husband for the last weeks of his life because he was at the VA 90 minutes away and she was unable to make that trip one way, let alone both, because she was in such bad shape herself. It was kind of sad. There was nothing she could have done to change anything, but after spending a lifetime together, it was a shame they couldn't spend those last weeks together.

How old was he?

How old was he?

old as dirt--past retirement age--but that was awhile ago so I do not recall exactly. Fortunately at least medicare has expanded slightly access to nursing home care for 20 free days before you have to start paying the $152 a day copay, but none around here will take you if you are on chemo because they lose money on you, and the for-profit hospital is only certified with medicare as a sort-term facility so if you have complex issues at end of life as many do, they either give you minimal treatment to keep you stable until you die or push you off onto a long-term facility that likewise is a hike from where we live.

We ran into that latter situation with my mom. They treated her for a week locally and then just politely told us they were going to lose money on her so when we didn't sign off on terminating treatment we had to find somewhere else for them to send her to, at which point the swarm of doctors who had been coming around suddenly couldn't be found.

It may be that jobs will be lost in the healthcare industry.......more than likely on the administrative side. But there is clearly a shortage of medical professionals. I don't think jobs will be lost there for some time.

The net.......an increase.

The loss...failed patient care.

Who's in charge of making sure all the rules and regs are met to keep hospitals licensed?

Doctors?
Nurses?
Therapists?

How old was he?

old as dirt--past retirement age--but that was awhile ago so I do not recall exactly. Fortunately at least medicare has expanded slightly access to nursing home care for 20 free days before you have to start paying the $152 a day copay, but none around here will take you if you are on chemo because they lose money on you, and the for-profit hospital is only certified with medicare as a sort-term facility so if you have complex issues at end of life as many do, they either give you minimal treatment to keep you stable until you die or push you off onto a long-term facility that likewise is a hike from where we live.

We ran into that latter situation with my mom. They treated her for a week locally and then just politely told us they were going to lose money on her so when we didn't sign off on terminating treatment we had to find somewhere else for them to send her to, at which point the swarm of doctors who had been coming around suddenly couldn't be found.

It sounds like they both were victims of for-profit health care to me.

It sounds like they both were victims of for-profit health care to me.

Sure, but people own those hospitals and have a right to that which they own, just as the insurance company stockholders have a right to expect a return on their investment, just as the doctor who spent a ton of year in school has a right to expect a better than average wage. The list goes on and on.

I don't care so much about the PPACA, etc, except that it just isn't realistic to expect that quality of care is not going to be the price we pay for the price pressures that are being forced upon the industry. Most every medicare and medicaid patient represents a loss of money to the treating facility and then we will still be having uninsured patients on top of that with the federal funds previously being used to subsidize that indigent care being reallocated to premium subsidies. Those costs will be absorbed by a combination of things, but none of them are going to be favorable to the patients.

Going back to the OP, the layoffs are blamed on the ACA.

But what about ALL OF THE HOSPITAL LAYOFFS THAT OCCURRED BEFORE THE ACA?

Yup, hospitals have had layoffs for as long as I've been alive. Explain what that can be blamed on.

Forum List

Back