Interpretation of signs.

There is a photograph going around taken frim somewhere in the Philippians, that shows near total destruction except for a giant statue if Jesus. The picture is said to be an inspiration to the survivors.

I guess it takes a very strong faith not to look at that statue and ask Why? Why Jesus, did you allow this to happen? Do you really exist? Are you simply as helpless as we are against the forces of nature?

I'm not an atheist at all, but my faith is not strong enough to not ask these questions when I see that statue.

and during the earthquake a week earlier.... the oldest church was destroyed.

There is a photograph going around taken frim somewhere in the Philippians, that shows near total destruction except for a giant statue if Jesus. The picture is said to be an inspiration to the survivors.

I guess it takes a very strong faith not to look at that statue and ask Why? Why Jesus, did you allow this to happen? Do you really exist? Are you simply as helpless as we are against the forces of nature?

I'm not an atheist at all, but my faith is not strong enough to not ask these questions when I see that statue.

This is earth. The rain falls on the just and the unjust. The Philippians were in the path of a storm.

Will God get them through it? Yes. :eusa_angel:

I'm amazed in the 21st century people still believe in all powerful mythical beings.

I'm always amazed that people are so fixated on the faith of others that they would go out of their way to try to destroy that faith. I just don't see what another believes, that harms the person in no way and in fact gives that person comfort and joy and has absolutely no ability to affect you or me in any way, should be a cause for concern for anybody.

I'm amazed in the 21st century people still believe in all powerful mythical beings.

I'm always amazed that people are so fixated on the faith of others that they would go out of their way to try to destroy that faith. I just don't see what another believes, that harms the person in no way and in fact gives that person comfort and joy and has absolutely no ability to affect you or me in any way, should be a cause for concern for anybody.

Given what some people profess to believe, they can become like God, they will rule the earth, everyone else is lost etc, etc, it should be a cause for concern for everybody.

If these loonies weren't kept in check it would only be a matter of time before they rounded up unbelievers to save their souls, or society, or family values, whatever, even if it meant destroying lives and killing people in the name of the Lord.

Its not like its never happened before......

Given what some people profess to believe, they can become like God, they will rule the earth, everyone else is lost etc, etc, it should be a cause for concern for everybody.

If these loonies weren't kept in check it would only be a matter of time before they rounded up unbelievers to save their souls, or society, or family values, whatever, even if it meant destroying lives and killing people in the name of the Lord.

Muslims do that now.

And yet it's the anti religionists that have the tendency and track record of exterminating people.

And yet it's the anti religionists that have the tendency and track record of exterminating people.

the atrocities committed by atheists are not a very good excuse for the bloody history of the church, is it?

and what about the many devout believers who are fighting tooth and nail to marginalize and criminalize unbelievers to this day?

What are you defending?

Hey wait a minute! Aren't you one of those people who thinks you can be like God and will rule the earth?

nevermind.......

Last edited:

So you would say that it is less dangerous to control what others are allowed to believe and make sure they are not allowed to profess their beliefs with impunity?

Are you an American? If so, that is really a remarkable statement.

Not what, but who do we defend. Because you marginalize and criminalize God based on the action of man, we defend Him based on His love for us. You condemn Him based on our hate for each other. We defend Him for having mercy on our souls even when we are at our very worst.

The Garden of Eden is our Father's destination for us and He will be restoring it for us after we explode so many nukes we change the tilt of earth's axis. We'll come near to annihilating life on earth before we realize that we need His help to soften our hearts and live a life of brotherly love. Without Him we are nothing. We are proving that. Once Iran has the capability to wipe Israel off the map, all eyes will be on Israel. so says the same God that said He would restore us, right here on earth.
Lets see if He's right.......
He also said there would be no blessings on the nation that forces Israel into a land grab peace deal.
Let's see.....

So you would say that it is less dangerous to control what others are allowed to believe and make sure they are not allowed to profess their beliefs with impunity?

So, you are agreeing that some people are loonies?

What problem exactly do you have with me saying that they must be kept in check exactly as they are through the separation of church and state?

I do not suggest that people shouldn't be able to believe what they want to believe but do you really want loonies influencing laws and customs or people making prophecies about destruction being in positions of authority with the ability to cause destruction?

Do you really want people who believe that humans are hopeless sinners, the world is evil and who get all giddy about the fact that Jesus was tortured and crucified to be educating your children?

What problem exactly do you have with me saying that they must be kept in check exactly as they are through the separation of church and state?

I do not suggest that people shouldn't be able to believe what they want to believe but do you really want loonies influencing laws and customs or people making prophecies about destruction being in positions of authority with the ability to cause destruction?

Do you really want people who believe that humans are hopeless sinners, the world is evil and who get all giddy about the fact that Jesus was tortured and crucified to be educating your children?

The Founders wrote for a reason that there be no religious test for those running for high office. It was to protect us all from people who would presume to dictate who was and was not qualified to function in society because they held certain religious beliefs.

I would much rather have the person who believes Jesus was tortured and crucified and who knows he or she is a sinner teaching my children than somebody who believes that person should be excluded from the classroom. What we believe is not the issue we should be concerned with but rather what the person does and what the person teaches.

And THAT my dear, is what the Founders intended with separation of Church and State; i.e. the state would have no ability whatsoever to reward or punish anybody based on that person's personal beliefs. And I sure as hell want a President who knows he or she is a sinner and capable of error and who doesn't consider himself fallible than one who thinks he can make no mistake, do no wrong, or be validly criticized for anything.

And I will continue to think it mean spirited and possibly even evil for somebody to criticize people who are trying to survive a disastrous typhoon and whose religious faith helps them to cope.

Last edited:

The Founders wrote for a reason that there be no religious test for those running for high office. It was to protect us all from people who would presume to dictate who was and was not qualified to function in society because they held certain religious beliefs.

I would much rather have the person who believes Jesus was tortured and crucified and who knows he or she is a sinner teaching my children than somebody who believes that person should be excluded from the classroom. What we believe is not the issue we should be concerned with but rather what the person does and what the person teaches.

And THAT my dear, is what the Founders intended with separation of Church and State; i.e. the state would have no ability whatsoever to reward or punish anybody based on that person's personal beliefs. And I sure as hell want a President who knows he or she is a sinner and capable of error and who doesn't consider himself fallible than one who thinks he can make no mistake, do no wrong, or be validly criticized for anything.

And I will continue to think it mean spirited and possibly even evil for somebody to criticize people who are trying to survive a disastrous typhoon and whose religious faith helps them to cope.

Who said anything about a typhoon?

relax my dear. The subject was loonies.

If you want to elect someone who is out of their religiously addled mind elected to high office then vote for them. No one is stopping you.

and you can't stop me either from speaking out against electing idiots to public office.

And if there are not already minimum standards of intelligence and sanity required to be met by any person of any authority, there should be.

If there are subjects like sex or violence that children are restricted from viewing or learning about before maturity because it is deemed inappropriate for the developing mind then irrational violent and perverse religious beliefs should likewise be restricted for the same reasons and concerns.

Forum List

Back