Internet access is now a “right”?

ya but I know the difference between doing and dong------sucks to get busted --I know

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... lol.. a typo! lol.. leave it to you to pick up that one!
His dong meter is always on. :lol:

you think he did the beavis and butthead snicker when he read that?

i can just hear it...

"heh..heh...heh heh... she said 'dong'" (snort, snort, chortle).

:lol:

and, dillo, i kid because i love ;)

Last edited:
I love how easily derailed we are :lol: one typo which comes out DONG and we fall apart. Some just cannot leave the dong alone :eek: Okay I am gonna stop now before the dong jokes 'get out of hand" :clap2:

No it is not a right but I suspect that once the government is paying for your internet they will control the access to it and what you see. Haven't you noticed that the drive to do this comes right after the first failed attempt to pass national health care. I suspect that the Obama administration doesn't like people talking openly on the internet and is now trying to "regulate" it by his standards.

Can we say fairness doctrine?

Yeah, that's it. :cuckoo:

I know lots of kids whose families are on welfare. They all have internet. Now they just won't have to pay for it. Isn't that special?

How is it you people continually ignore the crux of something and immediately begin adding to it by making shit up? What they are "mulling" is to connect all American households to high-speed Internet service,, not to pay for internet service for everyone on welfare. Pay attention. There are still many rural areas that DO NOT have broadband access and are still stuck with dialup, and surprise surprise, some of those are actually folks not on welfare.

I know lots of kids whose families are on welfare. They all have internet. Now they just won't have to pay for it. Isn't that special?

And by the way, do all those kids on welfare you speak of know what a holier-than-thou "friend" you are?

See wasteful govt spending

Really? Did you know that kids from middle school on up can't do a lot of their homework assignments without internet access?

Good point, but if I had my wish, there would be NO internet access allowed in middle or high school. I don't know how that could be controlled, except by forcing students to actually do their homework in monitored study halls, but one of the reasons we're failing on all the education scales is because kids are lifting everything off the Internet, learning by rote, instead of LEARNING.

Whoopie.

I live in rural areas for a good part of any given year and we don't have 8-lane interstates either. Yet, at the family compound in the Wisco backwoods, we still have broadband service.

Your decade-old lefty dog just don't hunt.

Well then you must also be missing out on a lot of current news up in them thar woods because it is true.

How is it you people continually ignore the crux of something and immediately begin adding to it by making shit up? What they are "mulling" is to connect all American households to high-speed Internet service,, not to pay for internet service for everyone on welfare. Pay attention. There are still many rural areas that DO NOT have broadband access and are still stuck with dialup, and surprise surprise, some of those are actually folks not on welfare.
Talk about missing the crux of the matter!

How does everyone everywhere have a right to broadband service, any more than they have such a right to cable teevee or cell service?

I guess there just isn't any up to date information on your subject. I'm not blaming you at all on the info, just that there is nothing more current, and with the way this industry has been expanding, I would think there is some very critical data on this.

Is this current enough? There's all kinds of information on lack of access by a simple Google search.

farmgate: Broadband Internet: Is It Really That Important For Rural America To Have It?

...Some farmers in rural America are very efficiently connected and others have no way of getting an Internet connection. This so-called “digital divide” not only puts some farmers behind their counterparts, but also impacts entire communities, which lose out on health, education, and economic development. But as we approach the end of the decade, has rural America really achieved satisfactory broadband connectivity?...

I have to wonder what is broadband access? If you have a cell phone that is G3 capable is that broadband access? Even if it does not work in your area?

Also those who have multiple accounts on the net do they count as multiple users? ie net at work, at home and on blackberry?
Irrelevant...I want my cell phone to work everywhere!

Gimmie my subsidy!

Then use some private contractor to install a tower on one of your fucking manure silos!!

I see it as more of an access to communications issue...like television.

As Jillian pointed out, most schools require some hook up to the internet for their students.

Thanks. It also replaces encyclopedias; newspapers; and libraries in terms of students dong research and projects. My son's english classes couldn't even get their reading assignments and worksheets without internet access.

why do they always get up in arms about spending money on things that help people and are all gung ho about spending money on wars?

Or things that DON'T work?

No it is not a right but I suspect that once the government is paying for your internet they will control the access to it and what you see. Haven't you noticed that the drive to do this comes right after the first failed attempt to pass national health care. I suspect that the Obama administration doesn't like people talking openly on the internet and is now trying to "regulate" it by his standards.

Can we say fairness doctrine?

IHF,

They won't be paying for yours or my internet access. They will be paying for access for the poor. We'll probably also be buying new computers for them as well.

Just like with Safelink, I can see it now, we will now be taxed on our internet service, to provide internet services to the poor. I'm sure they will be giving us a reason for why we should do this.

Immie

Just like our telephone bills, for example the Universal Service Fund.

Universal Service Fund (USF)/Universal Connectivity Fee- This federal fee helps to make phone service affordable and available to all Americans, including consumers with low incomes, schools, libraries, rural health care providers, and those living in areas where the costs of providing telephone service is high.

Anything is fair game to tax, for any cause. You have DSL? It's in your phone bill. Our internet services using DSL are already taxed providing monies to a multitude of services etc. and more to come very soon I am afraid.

Control of the internet by this government is only a matter of time, the noose is tightening as the Marxist beast grows in America. Control though, threats, intimidation, Fines and jail for stupid reasons, restriction and monitoring of services, and later, well, the list is long, we can sit and watch, or do something about it as many are doing now.

I suggest people like you with that kind of ME ME ME, AND ONLY ME attitude just get the fuck out of OUR country. Howzat.

Talk about missing the crux of the matter!

How does everyone everywhere have a right to broadband service, any more than they have such a right to cable teevee or cell service?

Yeah, I guess we should just deny electricity to people on welfare too. There's really no bigger asshole than you on this board.

wouldn't it be "nice" for everyone to have a comfortable house and a car? Wouldn't it be "nice" if every American didn't have to live in polluted cities or hear the noise of trains, planes, and automobiles? Where does it stop? If someone wants to live in a cabin in the woods, that's wonderful for them. But they may not be able to access internet or cable. Oh well.

We should not have to oay for the comfort and convenience oif others - whether they are on welfare or not. It is not a "right".

I have to wonder what is broadband access? If you have a cell phone that is G3 capable is that broadband access? Even if it does not work in your area?

Also those who have multiple accounts on the net do they count as multiple users? ie net at work, at home and on blackberry?
Irrelevant...I want my cell phone to work everywhere!

Gimmie my subsidy!

Then use some private contractor to install a tower on one of your fucking manure silos!!
Fuck you. I have a right to my phone calls.

Gimmie my subsidy, you fucking cheapskate.

CaféAuLait;1728614 said:
Internet access is now a “right”?

Feds Mull Rules, Fees to Spur Net Access

WASHINGTON -- Federal regulators are considering whether the government should take greater control of the Internet and ask consumers to pay higher phone charges in order to provide all Americans with cheaper access to broadband Internet service.

FCC officials estimate it could cost anywhere from $20 billion to $350 billion to connect all American households to high-speed Internet service, depending on speed offered.
They haven't yet said how much of that investment might come from taxpayers.

Feds Mull Rules, Fees to Spur Net Access - WSJ.com

Give me a freaking break!

Well isn't this special, the cost of my phone will go up so the cost of broadband internet will (supposedly) go down. Meanwhile, some government oversight agency will skim off 50% of that money.
What do you want to bet that the decrease in your internet bill wont offset the increase in your phone bill? Married couple with 2 cell phones gets hit twice on the new tax, but I guarantee you they only have one internet connection at home.

I'm sick of these fuckers just devising new taxes as a way to justify their positions.

I'm just getting back to this thread, but so what?

Broadband connection is not a right in this country nor is internet connection for that matter or even cell phones. Nor are they necessities.

Why is the government giving (or considering doing so) this stuff away?

See wasteful govt spending

Really? Did you know that kids from middle school on up can't do a lot of their homework assignments without internet access?

Sorry, but ever hear of the library?

Also, the schools I know of make exceptions for students who don't have internet access and they also provide access on school property.

What this proposal will provide is access to MySpace and Facebook to a lot of middle school students rather than study materials.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back