Internet access is now a “right”?

No it is not a right but I suspect that once the government is paying for your internet they will control the access to it and what you see. Haven't you noticed that the drive to do this comes right after the first failed attempt to pass national health care. I suspect that the Obama administration doesn't like people talking openly on the internet and is now trying to "regulate" it by his standards.

Can we say fairness doctrine?

IHF,

They won't be paying for yours or my internet access. They will be paying for access for the poor. We'll probably also be buying new computers for them as well.

Just like with Safelink, I can see it now, we will now be taxed on our internet service, to provide internet services to the poor. I'm sure they will be giving us a reason for why we should do this.

Immie

Just like our telephone bills, for example the Universal Service Fund.

Universal Service Fund (USF)/Universal Connectivity Fee- This federal fee helps to make phone service affordable and available to all Americans, including consumers with low incomes, schools, libraries, rural health care providers, and those living in areas where the costs of providing telephone service is high.

Anything is fair game to tax, for any cause. You have DSL? It's in your phone bill. Our internet services using DSL are already taxed providing monies to a multitude of services etc. and more to come very soon I am afraid.

Control of the internet by this government is only a matter of time, the noose is tightening as the Marxist beast grows in America. Control though, threats, intimidation, Fines and jail for stupid reasons, restriction and monitoring of services, and later, well, the list is long, we can sit and watch, or do something about it as many are doing now.

:lol:
I see it as more of an access to communications issue...like television.

As Jillian pointed out, most schools require some hook up to the internet for their students.

Thanks. It also replaces encyclopedias; newspapers; and libraries in terms of students dong research and projects. My son's english classes couldn't even get their reading assignments and worksheets without internet access.

why do they always get up in arms about spending money on things that help people and are all gung ho about spending money on wars?

DONG research ???

Broadband Internet is also good for the economy.

Yes, a lot of businesses depend on rapid data transmission.

Also before I quit working I had worked remotely over the net for 8 years.

That floor was cold some mornings during my commute to the computer to get to work.

I had to pay close to $100 for bonded channel 128 kb ISDN access for those years.
I think I was one of the 6 ISDN customers in the county.

Bell South ( now ATT) kept sending me mail wanting me to sign up for DSL when they did not even offer it to me.

The $49 3mb DSL I have now is nice :)

I see it as more of an access to communications issue...like television.

As Jillian pointed out, most schools require some hook up to the internet for their students.

Thanks. It also replaces encyclopedias; newspapers; and libraries in terms of students dong research and projects. My son's english classes couldn't even get their reading assignments and worksheets without internet access.

why do they always get up in arms about spending money on things that help people and are all gung ho about spending money on wars?

DONG research ???

yes. doing research. we've done entire science projects using data we've gotten from the web, including college websites.

been a while since your kid was in school, eh? :lol:

DONG research ???

yes. doing research. we've done entire science projects using data we've gotten from the web, including college websites.

ya but I know the difference between doing and dong------sucks to get busted --I know

ya but I know the difference between doing and dong------sucks to get busted --I know

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... lol.. a typo! lol.. leave it to you to pick up that one!
His dong meter is always on. :lol:

Broadband Internet is also good for the economy.

And with salaries lower in the sticks...companies might be enticed to move there if they could get broadband...and offshoring would be less of a problem.
Turnover costs -which is a large part of why many service centers are moved offshore- are relatively expensive in rural areas, too.

And with salaries lower in the sticks...companies might be enticed to move there if they could get broadband...and offshoring would be less of a problem.
Turnover costs -which is a large part of why many service centers are moved offshore- are relatively expensive in rural areas, too.

yeah right - more absurd undocumented claims.

It isn't that Dude doesn't know anything ... he just knows a lot that isn't true.

Forum List

Back