Internet access is now a “right”?

I guess these are the types that would have opposed rural electrification, TVA, the interstate highway system,etc.

Which was the best thing to happen to rural america. And also helped us win WW2.
Where do you think they got that electricity to make aluminum to make airplanes out of?

How did we transport much of the war materials, food, etc?
Going for a logical fallacy land speed record, or what? :lol:

BTW, bauxite was mined, smelted and alloyed by use of coal and oil, not electricity.

Probably for the same reason you're paying a tax to pay for the Spanish-American war on your phone bill.

Once those parasites get their hooks into you, they don't come back out.

Let me point out, that was a tax that was "only on the rich", because back then, only the rich had phones.
Funny how everybody pays that tax now. And so many years after that war is over.
The morons that keep supporting these types of things just don't get it.

I guess these are the types that would have opposed rural electrification, TVA, the interstate highway system,etc.

Which was the best thing to happen to rural america. And also helped us win WW2.
Where do you think they got that electricity to make aluminum to make airplanes out of?

Going for a logical fallacy land speed record, or what? :lol:

BTW, bauxite was mined, smelted and alloyed by use of coal and oil, not electricity.

Wrong TVA powered the aluminum smelters in TN. And also was used used for centrifuges to purify uranium for the atomic bombs at oak ridge TN.

Coke/coal is used for steel production but Aluminum production requires massive amounts of electricity.

Hydro power baby!

Last edited:
And the TVA was also one of the greatest environmental disasters of the last century.

While electricity is in fact required to separate the aluminum molecules from the bauxite, the mining, transportation and processes involved in making aluminum into useful products still requires huge amounts of oil and coal fired machinery.

None of which is here nor there as it relates to broadband access.

And the TVA was also one of the greatest environmental disasters of the last century.

While electricity is in fact required to separate the aluminum molecules from the bauxite, the mining, transportation and processes involved in making aluminum into useful products still requires huge amounts of oil and coal fired machinery.

None of which is here nor there as it relates to broadband access.

It relates to progress in rural america and therby benefits the entire country.

btw the TVA disaster was from coal fired plants not hydro. Coal fired plants were added later. TVA was first hydro power. And the disaster was due to shortsighted greedy management.

Last edited:
Your version of "progress" was not only an environmental calamity, it also forced tens of thousands of people out of their homes and off their lands. The greed was enabled and abetted by the federal policy, not despite it.

Bu what are the lives of a few backwoods hillbillies worth, when we have the façades of nice well-heeled east coast authoritarian elitists to erect, eh?

Your version of "progress" was not only an environmental calamity, it also forced tens of thousands of people out of their homes and off their lands. The greed was enabled and abetted by the policy, not despite it.

Bu what are the lives of a few backwoods hillbillies worth, when we have the façades of nice well-heeled east coast authoritarian elitists to erect, eh?

but that is ok we had already ran the indians off from there.

Virtually every dam ever built ran people off from their homes.

So did WW2. Ft knox did the same thing to hundreds of people. Took their land with the promise of selling it back to them for the same amount after the war was over. Which the govt renigged on.

How many lost their homes becuase of the interstate highway system? Becuase of sports stadiums, etc.

Your version of "progress" was not only an environmental calamity, it also forced tens of thousands of people out of their homes and off their lands. The greed was enabled and abetted by the policy, not despite it.

So did WW2. Ft knox did the same thing to hundreds of people. Took their land with the promise of selling it back to them for the same amount after the war was over. Which the govt renigged on.

How many lost their homes becuase of the interstate highway system? Becuase of sports stadiums, etc.
Ahhh...The heart and soul of the moral relativist looter.

Life's always better when you can get someone else to commit the robbery for you, under the rubric of "progress", huh?

wouldn't it be "nice" for everyone to have a comfortable house and a car? Wouldn't it be "nice" if every American didn't have to live in polluted cities or hear the noise of trains, planes, and automobiles? Where does it stop? If someone wants to live in a cabin in the woods, that's wonderful for them. But they may not be able to access internet or cable. Oh well.

We should not have to oay for the comfort and convenience oif others - whether they are on welfare or not. It is not a "right".

Of course you ignore the fact that a small business entrepreneur might want to set up shop in some rural area that doesn't have internet access. But what the fuck? Eh? Just so long as you make goddamned sure those folks on welfare don't have access, even though they too might need it in order to find work. Make 'em go to the library on their way to the local food bank.

Talk about missing the crux of the matter!

How does everyone everywhere have a right to broadband service, any more than they have such a right to cable teevee or cell service?

Yeah, I guess we should just deny electricity to people on welfare too. There's really no bigger asshole than you on this board.

Never, EVER, try to rationalize with the typical herd mentality like we're seeing on this thread. They think they are so right because they've got their groupies all together regurgitating their platitudes, and that should be enough to convince intelligent people.

Why should I have to pay school tax on my phone bill?

I do too, and my kids were probably the last generation to actually receive a terrific education and I never minded paying it then. Nor did I mind paying property taxes which benefited every child, not just those of property owners. Now it's basically money down the drain.

Ahhh...The heart and soul of the moral relativist looter.

Life's always better when you can get someone else to commit the robbery for you, under the rubric of "progress", huh?

You're so transparent it's hilarious. Whenever you realize you've lost the argument, you retort with one of your infamous platitudes. [Finger-wagging]

wouldn't it be "nice" for everyone to have a comfortable house and a car? Wouldn't it be "nice" if every American didn't have to live in polluted cities or hear the noise of trains, planes, and automobiles? Where does it stop? If someone wants to live in a cabin in the woods, that's wonderful for them. But they may not be able to access internet or cable. Oh well.

We should not have to oay for the comfort and convenience oif others - whether they are on welfare or not. It is not a "right".

Of course you ignore the fact that a small business entrepreneur might want to set up shop in some rural area that doesn't have internet access. But what the fuck? Eh? Just so long as you make goddamned sure those folks on welfare don't have access, even though they too might need it in order to find work. Make 'em go to the library on their way to the local food bank.

When do we stop expecting the government to pay for everything?

How long before I can expect the government to start paying my mortgage? After all, I am not "rich". How long before I can ask the government to start making my car payment for me? How about just paying my cell phone bill or my broadband access?

I have no problem feeding the poor, but when it comes to cell phones, internet access, car payments or mortgages; I'm sorry people make choices and if they are not willing to work for the conveniences of life... well then, they should not have those conveniences until they are ready to put out the effort to get them.

I've had to work for my own conveniences... you know, I need a boat! It is a necessity that I have a sailboat! The government should damned well have to pay for one for me because I can't afford one.

Immie

How long before I can expect the government to start paying my mortgage? After all, I am not "rich". How long before I can ask the government to start making my car payment for me? How about just paying my cell phone bill or my broadband access?

I have no problem feeding the poor, but when it comes to cell phones, internet access, car payments or mortgages; I'm sorry people make choices and if they are not willing to work for the conveniences of life... well then, they should not have those conveniences until they are ready to put out the effort to get them.

I've had to work for my own conveniences... you know, I need a boat! It is a necessity that I have a sailboat! The government should damned well have to pay for one for me because I can't afford one.

Immie

As I've said many times before, I don't think government SHOULD pay for "everything." But I do believe it has a responsibility to level the playing field when something like access to the Internet (or health care), or lack thereof, has the potential to affect every single American.

Your analogy of helping with someone's mortgage, I presume is because of the recent government assistance to help people stay in their homes. That's an extraordinary situation, my friend. With an unprecedented number of homes in foreclosure due to job loss, and other recessionary factors, to just allow people to become homeless would have been an ever greater drain on the federal government as more and more people look to the social safety nets. THINK!!

And your further analogy of a boat as a "necessity" is just plain silly. You surprise me.

Immie

As I've said many times before, I don't think government SHOULD pay for "everything." But I do believe it has a responsibility to level the playing field when something like access to the Internet (or health care), or lack thereof, has the potential to affect every single American.

Your analogy of helping with someone's mortgage, I presume is because of the recent government assistance to help people stay in their homes. That's an extraordinary situation, my friend. With an unprecedented number of homes in foreclosure due to job loss, and other recessionary factors, to just allow people to become homeless would have been an ever greater drain on the federal government as more and more people look to the social safety nets. THINK!!

And your further analogy of a boat as a "necessity" is just plain silly. You surprise me.

The boat analogy is no more silly than expecting the government to pay for your cell phone and your internet access.

As for the examples of mortgages and car payments, that is all they were... examples. The government should not be paying mortgages or car payments and for now they don't, but those could be next. This whole bullshit is nothing more than the attitude that Americans have fallen in to that says the government owes us everything. That is BS!

Immie

You're so transparent it's hilarious. Whenever you realize you've lost the argument, you retort with one of your infamous platitudes. [Finger-wagging]
Claiming victory doesn't make it so, self-righteous sob sister.

BTW, you really ought to learn the difference between a platitude and an epithet.

"No bigger asshole than you on this board", indeed.
:lol:

Forum List

Back