Interesting barrel length observation on S/A pistols

On another forum there was a topic about how a semi auto pistol with say a 5 inch barrel doesn't really have a 5 inch barrel because they count the chamber length in with over all barrel length, and they don't do this on revolvers. So, I went and got on of my 1911's that has a 5 inch barrel and measured it. Sure enough not counting the chamber, I only had little more than a 4 inch barrel! The booklet that came with it says it has a 5 inch barrel. I didn't know this. Should I be mad? Irked? Peeved?

Hmmmm....my FNX .45 measures right at 5.3 as the manual states.

I take that back.
They do apparently measure from the back of the breach.
Yeah, I just didn't realize that was the deal. Gun still shoots like it did, but I want my missing inch! ;)

On another forum there was a topic about how a semi auto pistol with say a 5 inch barrel doesn't really have a 5 inch barrel because they count the chamber length in with over all barrel length, and they don't do this on revolvers. So, I went and got on of my 1911's that has a 5 inch barrel and measured it. Sure enough not counting the chamber, I only had little more than a 4 inch barrel! The booklet that came with it says it has a 5 inch barrel. I didn't know this. Should I be mad? Irked? Peeved?

Hmmmm....my FNX .45 measures right at 5.3 as the manual states.

I take that back.
They do apparently measure from the back of the breach.
Yeah, I just didn't realize that was the deal. Gun still shoots like it did, but I want my missing inch! ;)

That’s what she said.

Sorry. Could not resist.

Forum List

Back