Interesting article on guns in Japan

How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime - BBC News

Ever been to Japan? I have, much safer, nice country. Why? Well maybe because they actually give a damn about their people and their country.

They are careful about who they allow into their country. This is one reason why it's a much safer country and USA isn't. So yeah, they do give a damn about their people and our leaders don't.

yup

and strict border controls

Illegal immigration[edit]
According to Ministry of Justice (MOJ) estimates, the number of foreign nationals staying illegally in Japan beyond their authorized period of stay dropped to approximately 60,000 as of January 1, 2015.[24] Illegal immigrant numbers had peaked at approximately 300,000 in May 1993, but have been gradually reduced through both stricter enforcement of border controls, workplace monitoring and an expansion of government run foreign worker programs for those seeking a legal route to short term employment opportunities in Japan.

Border controls at ports of entry for foreign nationals include examination of personal identification documentation, finger printing and photo recording. Security at both air and maritime ports is closely controlled. As a result, according to MOJ data, the single largest source of illegal immigrants in Japan are those foreign nationals found to have stayed illegally beyond the 90 day time period of the temporary visitor visa.

Immigration to Japan - Wikipedia

Ever been to Japan? I have, much safer, nice country. Why? Well maybe because they actually give a damn about their people and their country.
What about crime in general?

Whether crime is committed with guns, knives, baseball bats, hammers, or screwdrivers is not really relevant.

Crime is still crime.

It is, then again Japan's crime is lower than the US's crime too.

Murder rates are much lower.
Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

US has 41.29 compared to Japan's 22.39.

Problem always is that crime is different in different countries.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

Japan's murder rate is 0.3 compared to the US's 3.9, I mean, a murder rate 13 times higher, well, not that much, is it? No....

13 times higher. Hmm. Japans suicide rate is one of the highest in the world. They aren't killing themselves with guns, but they are just as dead.

Could it be that a country's culture is the true barometer of what happens there?

Mark

Yeah.....the 2nd Amendment supporters here have been pointing out suicide statistics for gun free countries for a while now....so the anti gunners here are not brining up suicide as often.......

Also....the CDC released their final death stats for 2015.......for the second year in a row in the U.S., non gun suicides outnumbered gun suicides....another bad year for the anti gun argument....

They are careful about who they allow into their country. This is one reason why it's a much safer country and USA isn't.

"Careful" is putting it nicely.

When I was there, 'guest' workers from Korea had to wear different caps and a different uniform than the Japanese workers.

And they were shunned by the Japanese.

You REALLY don't want to break the law in Japan. They WILL get you. And you WILL go to Prison.

And you REALLY don't want to go to Prison in Japan. You can't even TALK in their Prisons. If you break one their rules, they'll beat you half to death and not leave a mark.

They're not 'cruel' per se. They're just very, very, very, serious people.

I'll take the USA any time. Crime and all

They are careful about who they allow into their country. This is one reason why it's a much safer country and USA isn't. So yeah, they do give a damn about their people and our leaders don't.

yup

According to Ministry of Justice (MOJ) estimates, the number of foreign nationals staying illegally in Japan beyond their authorized period of stay dropped to approximately 60,000 as of January 1, 2015.[24] Illegal immigrant numbers had peaked at approximately 300,000 in May 1993, but have been gradually reduced through both stricter enforcement of border controls, workplace monitoring and an expansion of government run foreign worker programs for those seeking a legal route to short term employment opportunities in Japan.

Border controls at ports of entry for foreign nationals include examination of personal identification documentation, finger printing and photo recording. Security at both air and maritime ports is closely controlled. As a result, according to MOJ data, the single largest source of illegal immigrants in Japan are those foreign nationals found to have stayed illegally beyond the 90 day time period of the temporary visitor visa.

Enven the oppressed minority poplulation in Japan...the Ainu...is that Right? Are non violent...unlike the democrats here in the states who drive our violent crime rates....

They are careful about who they allow into their country. This is one reason why it's a much safer country and USA isn't.

When I was there, 'guest' workers from Korea had to wear different caps and a different uniform than the Japanese workers.

You REALLY don't want to break the law in Japan. They WILL get you. And you WILL go to Prison.

And you REALLY don't want to go to Prison in Japan. You can't even TALK in their Prisons. If you break one their rules, they'll beat you half to death and not leave a mark.

A friend of mine does business in Japan...he has asked the Japanese people he works with about racism in their country....and they openly acknowledge it and do not consider it a big deal......they actually embrace it.....while here in the states we actually try to end it.....

That is why they have a low crime rate......notice how often the anti gunners and left wingers say we can't put violent criminals in jail to solve our violent crime problem...then they stupidly use Japan as an example of low crime rates......

yup

Enven the oppressed minority poplulation in Japan...the Ainu...is that Right? Are non violent...unlike the democrats here in the states who drive our violent crime rates....

yup

I was taking an iaido class...and met a man who went to Japan to be an Anime Artist...he wanted to go where it was really being done.....and he was there for 7 years, learned the language....and he stated that even friends he had for 7 years would keep asking him when he was going to leave and go back to the states...not in curiosity... but aas in, hey, American, go home....

One thing for sure about Japan, being disarmed doesn't stop them from committing suicide at ridiculously high rates.

True their homogeneous and somewhat isolated island culture commits very few murders, but they make up for that on the back end by wacking themselves. Odd.

its good to see the Americans that rush to support the Second Amendment .

A friend of mine does business in Japan...he has asked the Japanese people he works with about racism in their country....and they openly acknowledge it and do not consider it a big deal......they actually embrace it.....while here in the states we actually try to end it.....

They're not like us. When I was there in the early 60's, they didn't much respect blacks, that's for sure. Blacks sailors had their own clubs to go to where certain girls would entertain them, for a much higher price than the rest of us paid . It was basically segregation like USA in the days of old. Another reason was the blacks usually have a much higher crime and rape record than whites. This is a well kept secret by those in the military.

Japanese people have very laid back and calm personalities. They are also highly educated which results in lower crime rates.

We don't have highly educated people and we definitely do not have low crime rates.

Whether crime is committed with guns, knives, baseball bats, hammers, or screwdrivers is not really relevant.

Crime is still crime.

Would you rather face a gun, or anyone of the items you listed? Me, I'd take my chances with the latter, the former give's one no chance.
I have disarmed someone who had a gun.

No worse than a knife.

Actually a knife is more dangerous close up than a gun.

Crime is still crime.

Would you rather face done a gun, or anyone of the items you listed? Me, I'd take my chances with the latter, the former gives one no chance.

If you have your own gun you have even better odds, especially considering most criminals will run away or surrender when faced with an armed civilian.

LOL, How long does it take to react, draw and fire when one has been surprised, and the Adrenalin has kicked in? Remember, the shooter has already begun to fire, or in a robbery, has already targeted the victim - armed or not?
Average reaction time is 2 seconds.

And typical time to draw from concealment is 1 1/2 seconds.

Total for both is 3 1/2 seconds in case you really are interested.

Criminals are criminals because they are criminals.

Japan has criminals too.

Japanese are a very submissive people and have been for centuries.

The rest of the world is nothing like the Japanese.

If you wanted to try to brainwash the rest of the world into becoming Japanese good luck with that -- it would take several centuries.

Meanwhile the rest of the world will have a lot more crime than Japan does.

And this means there is a lot more reason to arm yourself with a firearm and learn and train to defend yourself from crime.

Not the opposite -- getting rid of your guns in a world full of crime is foolishness.

Crime is still crime.

It is, then again Japan's crime is lower than the US's crime too.

Murder rates are much lower.
Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

US has 41.29 compared to Japan's 22.39.

Problem always is that crime is different in different countries.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

Japan's murder rate is 0.3 compared to the US's 3.9, I mean, a murder rate 13 times higher, well, not that much, is it? No....
Agreed, but their suicide rate is the third highest in the world. With a population slightly less than half of the USA at 127.3 Million, over 27,000 per year, about what ours is with guns. The anti-gun left always flaunts the "30,000 die of gun violence" figure, but about 17,000 of those are suicides, not murders. Comparatively, about 27,000 Americans off themselves using other methods. Is it really surprising that the anti-gun Left only cares about the 17,000 who kill themselves with a gun and doesn't give a fuck about the 27,000 who use other methods?

10 Countries With the Highest Suicide Rates in the World
7. Japan: 21.4 per 100,000
A surprising entry on this list, Japan is a highly industrialized first world nation that plays an important role in the global economy and shares many characteristics with other European and North American powerhouses that have minute suicide rates in comparison. Beneath the surface however, Japan suffers from a near epidemic rate of suicide, with men comprising over 70% of those who commit the act. Many factors play into the reasons why, like economic hardship, societal pressure and depression accounting for the top three reasons. Furthermore, Japan has a very long tradition of committing honourable suicide, and as such, societal attitudes towards taking one’s own life are less frowned upon than those of many other nations. In fact, when one’s honour is shattered, suicide is actually deemed a “morally responsible” option, making stopping the problem, especially when economic failure and mounting societal pressures are involved, a difficult task.

Suicide Statistics — AFSP

Japan's murder lust ended with two Atomic Bombs. They have no racial issues and no illegal alien problem and no Bill of Rights. You can't compare Tokyo with Chicago.

Japanese people have very laid back and calm personalities. They are also highly educated which results in lower crime rates.

We don't have highly educated people and we definitely do not have low crime rates.

They surrender more rights to the government and have a collectivist mindset...that is how they keep their crime rate low...they also do not have large minority populations that have different cultures and values from the main stream Japanese.

Henrietta Moore of the Institute for Global Prosperity at University College London applauds the Japanese for not viewing gun ownership as "a civil liberty",

Sorry Henrietta but our Founding Fathers and the great majority of Americans would disagree with you.

Forum List

Back