Interesting article on guns in Japan

All countries compared for Crime > Violent crime > Murder rate per million people

Japan simply has low crime. Has nothing to do with guns.

They still have crime, but at the rate of 4 per million population.

They are 7th lowest in the world.

Monaco and Palau are the lowest in the world with virtually no crime.

The top most violent 98 countries in the world already make guns illegal and it has not changed anything there.

The USA is 99th. We are about in the middle -- the median.

Switzerland has MORE guns per capita than the USA and it is among the LOWEST crime rates -- 182nd .

And most US crime is committed in states like Calif and NYS which already limit or prohibit guns.

So your thinking on this is a fallacy. No logic to your thinking and rhetoric at all.

Loser !!

How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime - BBC News

Ever been to Japan? I have, much safer, nice country. Why? Well maybe because they actually give a damn about their people and their country.
What about crime in general?

Whether crime is committed with guns, knives, baseball bats, hammers, or screwdrivers is not really relevant.

Crime is still crime.

It is, then again Japan's crime is lower than the US's crime too.

Murder rates are much lower.
Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

US has 41.29 compared to Japan's 22.39.

Problem always is that crime is different in different countries.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

Japan's murder rate is 0.3 compared to the US's 3.9, I mean, a murder rate 13 times higher, well, not that much, is it? No....

All countries compared for Crime > Violent crime > Murder rate per million people

The top most violent 98 countries in the world already make guns illegal and it has not changed anything there.

And most US crime is committed in states like Calif and NYS which already limit or prohibit guns.

So your thinking on this is a fallacy. No logic to it at all.

Most murders - Louisiana. They also lock the most people up. Apparently locking people up solves crime problems. Oh, you want fallacies, huh?

this gun situation in Japan is really more of the rulers being anti weapon for everyone but themselves . I think that the 'samurai' started the no weapons for serfs and peasants because they didn't want anyone to have weapons when they decided to behead YOU or your peasant wife and kids . Info is out there , I might get some to back up my words just for FWierdo . .

frigidweirdo you are turning into a spam bot.

If you keep this illogical crap up then I will put you on my ignore list with the other morons who are spam bots.

So your thinking on this is a fallacy. No logic to it at all.

Most murders - Louisiana. They also lock the most people up. Apparently locking people up solves crime problems. Oh, you want fallacies, huh?
--------------------------------------------------------- and this talk about murders in the USA . People murder with guns , knives , pills , clubs , hammers and all kindsa implements . Guns though allow a five foot , 100 pound women to protect herself from a 260 pound violent thug FWierdo .

Japanese are pretty much disarmed , same as the Brits and other countries where the people are pretty much reduced to being workers , taxpayers , consumers or simply Subjects to be herded about . USA is unique and the USA should never bend to the SAFETY Freaks demands and schemes FWierdo !!

Ever been to Japan? I have, much safer, nice country. Why? Well maybe because they actually give a damn about their people and their country.

They are a much safer country because their culture puts a premium on obeying authority and submitting the individual to the collective.....they are law abiding......

And as I have shown over and over, it is the fact that the police have incredible powers to arrest and interrogate prisoners and the prosecutors and judges go along with it....the conviction rate if you are arrested in japan is well over 90%....

Add to that they have 30 year sentences for gun crimes....that is what has discouraged most gun violence.....given the fact that until the creation of long prison sentences the Yakuza easily got guns and used them when they wanted to...I have posted those articles in the past.....

Whether crime is committed with guns, knives, baseball bats, hammers, or screwdrivers is not really relevant.

Crime is still crime.

It is, then again Japan's crime is lower than the US's crime too.

Murder rates are much lower.
Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

US has 41.29 compared to Japan's 22.39.

Problem always is that crime is different in different countries.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

Japan's murder rate is 0.3 compared to the US's 3.9, I mean, a murder rate 13 times higher, well, not that much, is it? No....

Our non gun murder rate is far higher than Japan...again...it is their culture, not their gun control that keeps all crime low in Japan.....

This is the reason Japan has low crime rates of all kinds....not just murder....

People control...not gun control...and if you like police having these powers......then you should support stop and frisk, searching homes.....all without the need for warrants....

Japan: Gun Control and People Control

Do the gun banners have the argument won when they point to these statistics? No, they don't.

A realistic examination of Japanese culture leads to the conclusion that gun control has little, if anything, to do with Japan's low crime rates. Japan's lack of crime is more the result of the very extensive powers of the Japanese police, and the distinctive relation of the Japanese citizenry to authority. Further, none of the reasons which have made gun control succeed in Japan (in terms of disarming citizens) exist in the U.S.

The Japanese criminal justice system bears more heavily on a suspect than any other system in an industrial democratic nation. One American found this out when he was arrested in Okinawa for possessing marijuana: he was interrogated for days without an attorney, and signed a confession written in Japanese that he could not read. He met his lawyer for the first time at his trial, which took 30 minutes.

Unlike in the United States, where the Miranda rule limits coercive police interrogation techniques, Japanese police and prosecutors may detain a suspect indefinitely until he confesses. (Technically, detentions are only allowed for three days, followed by ten day extensions approved by a judge, but defense attorneys rarely oppose the extension request, for fear of offending the prosecutor.) Bail is denied if it would interfere with interrogation.

Even after interrogation is completed, pretrial detention may continue on a variety of pretexts, such as preventing the defendant from destroying evidence. Criminal defense lawyers are the only people allowed to visit a detained suspect, and those meetings are strictly limited.

Partly as a result of these coercive practices, and partly as a result of the Japanese sense of shame, the confession rate is 95%.

For those few defendants who dare to go to trial, there is no jury. Since judges almost always defer to the prosecutors' judgment, the trial conviction rate for violent crime is 99.5%.
Of those convicted, 98% receive jail time.

In short, once a Japanese suspect is apprehended, the power of the prosecutor makes it very likely the suspect will go to jail. And the power of the policeman makes it quite likely that a criminal will be apprehended.

The police routinely ask "suspicious" characters to show what is in their purse or sack. In effect, the police can search almost anyone, almost anytime, because courts only rarely exclude evidence seized by the police -- even if the police acted illegally.

The most important element of police power, though, is not authority to search, but authority in the community. Like school teachers, Japanese policemen rate high in public esteem, especially in the countryside. Community leaders and role models, the police are trained in calligraphy and Haiku composition. In police per capita, Japan far outranks all other major democracies.

15,000 koban "police boxes" are located throughout the cities. Citizens go to the 24-hour-a-day boxes not only for street directions, but to complain about day-to-day problems, such as noisy neighbors, or to ask advice on how to raise children. Some of the policemen and their families live in the boxes.

Police box officers clear 74.6% of all criminal cases cleared. Police box officers also spend time teaching neighborhood youth judo or calligraphy. The officers even hand- write their own newspapers, with information about crime and accidents, "stories about good deeds by children, and opinions of
residents."

Japanese are pretty much disarmed , same as the Brits and other countries where the people are pretty much reduced to being workers , taxpayers , consumers or simply Subjects to be herded about . USA is unique and the USA should never bend to the SAFETY Freaks demands and schemes FWierdo !!

And the criminals in Japan still get guns and grenades when they decide to kill each other...

And of course....the cops and criminals have guns....and you stop gun crime in Japan the same way here...long prison sentences for gun criminals....

21st-Century Yakuza: Recent Trends in Organized Crime in Japan ~Part 1 21 ―― | The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus

Gun use by yakuza has declined markedly. This is due to the increased severity of legal sanctions, as many yakuza have acknowledged in media interviews. A 2004 ruling by the Supreme Court ended a long legal battle by the Yamaguchi-gumi and made yakuza bosses liable for certain criminal acts committed by their men, including violations of firearms laws. Yamaguchi godfather Tsukasa Shinobu spent six years in jail after one of his bodyguards was found to be carrying an illegal firearm. Many yakuza bosses subsequently banned the use of guns by their men. In addition, jail terms for gun users have increased. Up until the 1980s yakuza gunmen convicted of fatal shooting were usually serving jail terms of between 12 and 15 years. Three gangsters involved in a fatal gang-related shooting in Hiratsuka in 2009 (see below) received jail terms of 24 to 30 years each, while the gangster who shot the mayor of Nagasaki received the death sentence, though this was later revoked and reduced to lifetime imprisonment.71

Crime is still crime.

Would you rather face a gun, or anyone of the items you listed? Me, I'd take my chances with the latter, the former give's one no chance.

Crime is still crime.

Would you rather face done a gun, or anyone of the items you listed? Me, I'd take my chances with the latter, the former gives one no chance.

If you have your own gun you have even better odds, especially considering most criminals will run away or surrender when faced with an armed civilian.

Forum List

Back