Inspirational

• Banned
10 inspiring stories of everyday heroes - CNN.com

The first one:

After Dale Beatty, right, lost his legs in the Iraq war, his community thanked him for his service by helping him build a home. To pay it forward, Beatty co-founded Purple Heart Homes, which has helped build or modify homes for dozens of disabled U.S. veterans. "We wouldn't leave someone behind on the battlefield," Beatty said. "Why would we do it at home?"

Facebook Helps World War II Veteran Receive Hundreds Of Letters For 90th Birthday

Harold Krueger, 90, has served in three wars. But perhaps his greatest challenge has been facing the death of LaVina, his wife of 63 years, over the last month.

LaVina planned on throwing a party for Krueger's 90th birthday, according to KFYR. After LaVina's death, Krueger's daughter, Debra Turner, took over the celebration and turned to Facebook for help.

"Maybe if I put it on Facebook, and ask some of my friends if they would send my dad a card he might get a few letters and some mail," Turner told KFYR. "I gave a little background of his military, and his life and asked. That's all I meant was for him to have a couple letters."

Turner's small gesture produced a surprising outcome: Her post was shared more than 650 times.

The birthday cards, thank you letters and gifts started pouring in.

Krueger has received approximately 1,000 cards and letters from 48 states, according to a Facebook update that Turner posted on Sunday....

Wow....

• Banned
Facebook Helps World War II Veteran Receive Hundreds Of Letters For 90th Birthday

Harold Krueger, 90, has served in three wars. But perhaps his greatest challenge has been facing the death of LaVina, his wife of 63 years, over the last month.

LaVina planned on throwing a party for Krueger's 90th birthday, according to KFYR. After LaVina's death, Krueger's daughter, Debra Turner, took over the celebration and turned to Facebook for help.

"Maybe if I put it on Facebook, and ask some of my friends if they would send my dad a card he might get a few letters and some mail," Turner told KFYR. "I gave a little background of his military, and his life and asked. That's all I meant was for him to have a couple letters."

Turner's small gesture produced a surprising outcome: Her post was shared more than 650 times.

Krueger has received approximately 1,000 cards and letters from 48 states, according to a Facebook update that Turner posted on Sunday....

Wow....

Oh, that is so sweet. :) My heart goes out to him.

Wow....

Oh, that is so sweet. :) My heart goes out to him.

At the link there is also an address where people can continue to send cards to Mr. Krueger. I just wrote a card and will be popping it in the mail today.

Philanthropist Chuck Feeney who inspired Bill Gates and Warren Buffet wants all his money spent on good causes before he's dead | Mail Online

An Irish-American billionaire who kept his philanthropy secret for 15 years has given away $7.5billion (£4.9billion) - and plans for it all to go to charity before his dies.

Chuck Feeney, 82, wears a $15 Casio watch, travels in coach, does not own a car is a self-confessed 'shabby dresser' and sensibly made his children work their way through college.

He has given away 99 per cent of his fortune to health, science, education and civil rights causes around the world through his Atlantic Philanthropies foundation.

Feeney, who still has a sizeable $2million left in the bank, made his money from duty free shopping and quietly began giving his money away in the 1980s.

And since every adult knows that it's the giving that is a far greater blessing than the receiving - I'm jealous. :) He's likely having a blast.

This picture of two Norwegian guys rescuing a sheep from the ocean. The measure of a man is made by how he treats those who can do absolutely nothing for him" ❤

a77fd1c2bc7400f97ca95d9a460620b5.jpg

Some of this instinctual. If you see a car burning and someone stuck, you'd jump out and try to save them without thinking about it. You just do it. I've seen it happen many times and I've done stuff like that myself.

Some of this instinctual. If you see a car burning and someone stuck, you'd jump out and try to save them without thinking about it. You just do it. I've seen it happen many times and I've done stuff like that myself.

Absolutely, I agree with you, but it is also inspirational in times when many try to forget their instincts.

Tikkun Olam all the way.

Great to have you on this thread.

Quick-Thinking Taco Cook Chases Down Kidnapper, Saves Little Boy

A four-year-old boy is home safe with his family in Los Angeles after a quick-thinking taco cook saved him from the clutches of a kidnapper on Wednesday.

Grady O'Brien was walking home with his six-year-old brother Brendan and their nanny when a man approached them and punched the nanny in the face, reports KTLA. He then grabbed Grady O'Brien and ran away.

Jesus Delgado, a cook at nearby T2 Tacos, heard Brendan's cries for help and ran to search for him. Upon catching up with the alleged kidnapper, Delgado told NBC LA that the kidnapper tried to convince him to walk away.

"He told me, 'It's not your problem, man. It's not your problem. Leave me alone with the kid,'" said Delgado to NBC LA. "I said, 'This is my problem. This is my problem, because why you take this boy?'" Delgado was able to hold the attacker in place until the police arrived to arrest him, reports NBC LA.

'This is my problem." I'm so glad he was there for Brendan.

Rick van Beek: Devoted dad runs triathlon carrying his teenager daughter who has cerebral palsy | Mail Online

A devoted father has completed a triathlon carrying his 13-year-old cerebral palsy-afflicted daughter across land and through water so that she could complete the gruelling event.

Rick van Beek's feat of endurance and show of love for his daughter Madison have led many to call the man from Byron Center, Michigan the 'father of the century'.

But it is not the first race of its kind for van Beek, who said he has participated in more than 70 events, including half-marathons, triathlons and other outdoor races, as part of 'Team Maddy'.

For the swimming portion, van Beek tugs his daughter through the water in a kayak and then pulls her behind him in a cart as he cycles. He runs the last leg pushing her in a buggy.

Van Beek, 39, told the Midland Daily News that he wants to complete the events with his daughter, who is unable to walk or talk, because she adores being outside.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOK4NbRxPxE]Team Maddy - Rick Van Beek Quits Smoking to Race with Daughter - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_f8mV5khg]Drones Over Dolphin Stampede and Whales off Dana Point and Maui - YouTube[/ame]

Captain Dave Anderson of Capt. Dave’s Dolphin and Whale Safari in Dana Point, California recently filmed and edited this 5 minute video taken with a drone. It shows thousands of dolphins, three gray whales migrating off the coast of San Clemente, and a humpback whale snuggling with her calf in Maui.

Forum List

Back