Insomnia

It started for me when I retired. Still lots to do, but no specific time to do it, so I enjoyed sleeping past 4:30 am. Later up meant later to sleep the next night. After about a year, it came down to sleeping 3 to 5 hours a couple of times a day whenever the mood hit. It is a really weird schedule, but I don't see it as a problem.

So I've been inflicted with Insomnia for about 10 years now, I'm actually now conditioned to being okay with four hours of sleep, usually I'll be up each day at 9am, again conditioned.

This began when I was about 16 years-old, why I'm not sure. However, when I was at University, this is where the conditioning began, especially during exam times, I managed on four hours of sleep, like many of the other students, and still performed the exams well.

I know Tilly also is inflicted with Insomnia....maybe some others are, but I've missed any comments they might have made about this situation.
Hi Lucy, same here. Insomnia since childhood, perfected in uni, lol.
I've never really needed more than 4-5 hours sleep, but there are times when the insomnia seems to worsen, when I can't switch the brain off, and that's not so good. I tried Zopiclone for such times, it was excellent in terms of getting me to sleep and keeping me asleep, BUT it made me feel so awful the next day that I'd have felt better if I hadn't slept at all. It was a bit like being badly hungover. Plus it might have a negative impact on memory, so not for me.
A glass or two of wine seems to help a bit, but I don't feel like drinking wine every night, so not much use. Herbal remedies, some seem to work on the GABA neurotransmitter, and they just make me anxious, as does 5htp, the opposite of the desired effect. Working nights and being on call also has not been good for my sleep for various reasons.
Anyway, a few items of interest (not advice) I have found that melatonin helps, but the problem is it's potentially a bit risky to take unless you are post menopausal, as it may affect other hormones. So for me, this is only used in extremis a couple of times a month. You can't buy it in the UK, but you can online (ie Eurovital). Recently, my sis was over from Australia and she was grateful for my sinsomnia, lol.
Anyway, for those who possibly shouldn't use melatonin, and for whom 5htp is contraindicated, Tryptophan can work to some degree. It is on the same metabolic pathway as 5htp, and it makes melatonin. It's an amino acid, and it works better for my husband than me, but it does help a bit with switching off the brain.
Another point is, once you've become accustomed to being a night owl, your production of cortisol shifts, making sleeping earlier even more difficult to achieve. A saliva test at various times of the day can be used to
ascertain to what degree this has happened, and some people have success using phosphorylated (not phosphatidyl) Serine (amino acid) taken at specific times of the day to reduce cortisol when it is high at inappropriate times. I haven't tried this yet but might.
Anyway, today I managed to get to sleep by midnight for a change, but was still up by 4 am. Sigh.

Last edited:
I have had this problem since childhood. I will get about 4 hours of sleep on a good night. Sometimes it gets really bad and I'm up for 36-48 hours straight. Eventually I shut down and sleep for 18-20 hours. I tried otc products like sleep aid but it takes 4 or 5 to actually make me fall asleep. About the only thing I haven't tried is seeing a psychiatrist.
I used to skip sleep at uni with no problem. I still do it occasionally, but usually deliberately in an attempt to reset my clock. However, although it works, after a few days to a week I'm back to the usual routine, so it's not worth the effort unless it's for a specific reason.

I've had bouts of insomnia for most of my adult life. I spend the sleepless parts of the night reading. Insomnia has allowed me to read more books than I would have otherwise.
Do you just stay in your room or do you get out of bed once you wake up?
I stay in bed. There's a reading light set up above the bed and the headboard is a bookcase! Happily, my reading does not disturb my husband.

You have to get a Kindle Paper White.
I go in the back yard or anywhere else I want and read.
I resisted for years but I'm very glad I gave into tech when it comes to books.
Just think about it...you're laying in bed and you finish a book you know has a sequel,turn off airplane mode,order your book and you're reading the sequel in thirty seconds. And if you're a Prime member you get a shitload of free books,of course that costs around 80 bucks a year but I read far more than that.
I'll never give up my Paper White.

I've had bouts of insomnia for most of my adult life. I spend the sleepless parts of the night reading. Insomnia has allowed me to read more books than I would have otherwise.
I stay in bed. There's a reading light set up above the bed and the headboard is a bookcase! Happily, my reading does not disturb my husband.

Just think about it...you're laying in bed and you finish a book you know has a sequel,turn off airplane mode,order your book and you're reading the sequel in thirty seconds. And if you're a Prime member you get a shitload of free books,of course that costs around 80 bucks a year but I read far more than that.
I did the same. Resisted getting a kindle as I adore real books, but when I got a boat, space is so precious I gave in and got the kindle. Also can read in the dark so no need to waste the electricity on the boat. Kindles are a godsend.

I did the same. Resisted getting a kindle as I adore real books, but when I got a boat, space is so precious I gave in and got the kindle. Also can read in the dark so no need to waste the electricity on the boat. Kindles are a godsend.

Wait...you live on a boat?
Aww hell I'm jealous!!! The wife and I are considering doing the same.
Maybe hopping around the Caribbean until we get tired of it.
Thought about a circumnavigation in our younger days but I dont see it as we get older.

Thought about a circumnavigation in our younger days but I dont see it as we get older.
Hi, HWGA, We don't actually live on it, although last year we took time out and spent 6 months on it to experience Autumn and some of the winter to see if we could live on it, as we were thinking of selling the house, and living on the boat whilst house hunting, so as not to be in a chain. We will probably do that next year, it's work that's the problem, ie mooring somewhere practicable. This isn't a sail boat, btw, it's a 70ft canal boat, so mostly for inland waterways and coastal waterways.. Not exciting like a sailboat, but great fun.

Hi, HWGA, We don't actually live on it, although last year we took time out and spent 6 months on it to experience Autumn and some of the winter to see if we could live on it, as we were thinking of selling the house, and living on the boat whilst house hunting, so as not to be in a chain. We will probably do that next year, it's work that's the problem, ie mooring somewhere practicable. This isn't a sail boat, btw, it's a 70ft canal boat, so mostly for inland waterways and coastal waterways.. Not exciting like a sailboat, but great fun.

Still very cool. At 70ft it should be plenty livable.
We've looked at some 45ft blue water cats for our journey and we just might do it.
We love the idea of seeing the Caribbean on our own terms.

Wonder if lizards ever suffer from insomnia?...

Lizards share sleep patterns with humans
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 - Scientists say sleep patterns previously thought exclusive to mammals and birds are also found in lizards.
Lizards share sleep patterns with humans, according to scientists. Until now, it was thought features of human sleep such as rapid eye movements were seen only in mammals and birds. Now, a study of the bearded dragon - a popular pet - suggests these distinctive sleep rhythms emerged hundreds of million of years ago in a distant ancestor. They could even have been present in dinosaurs, say scientists. Some form of sleep has been described in everything from worms to people. But the sleep phases of humans and birds are very distinctive, involving cycles of deep (slow-wave) sleep, followed by awake-like brain activity and rapid eye movement (REM).

Faster rhythm

German researchers recorded the brain activity of bearded dragons when they were sleeping. They found that similar to humans and other mammals, the reptiles showed cycles of eye movements and deep sleep. However, while humans typically go through four or five 90-minute cycles of slow-wave sleep and REMs, the lizard sleep rhythm is faster and more regular, resulting in hundreds of much shorter cycles. And in lizards the activity seems to originate from a different brain area from mammals. "Although similar to mammalian sleep, lizard slow-wave sleep and REMs resemble a stripped-down version of the richer mammalian repertoire," the scientists write in the journal Science.

_89465862_dragon_1.jpg

Common ancestor

The fact that reptiles, birds and mammals share similar sleep patterns suggests these evolved in a common ancestor some 300 to 320 million years ago. At the time, the land was ruled by amniotes - a class of four-legged, backboned animal that laid eggs protected by amniotic membranes. "Those were probably small and lizard-like animals," said lead researcher Dr Gilles Laurent of the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research in Frankfurt, Germany. "They lived between 300 and 320 million years ago, at a time when the earth's continents formed a single land mass." It could be that the true source was even more ancient, he added. "This would require evidence of REMs and slow-wave sleep from amphibians or fish, which has so far been negative," he said. "But it may be worth checking again."

Ancient origin

Lizard sleep may be similar to the sleep patterns of our ancestors, said Dr Laurent. And lizards might even dream in a rudimentary way. Asked if dinosaurs slept, he said: "I wish I knew but it seems likely that they expressed REM and slow-wave sleep." Thanos Siapas, professor of computation and neural systems at Caltech, California, who was not involved in the research, said it shed new light into how the architecture of sleep evolved. "The data and analysis are very compelling and suggest an ancient origin of the two alternating stages of sleep, REM and slow-wave sleep," he said. "Comparing the circuit mechanisms and role of these network events across species may provide critical new insights into their function."

Lizards share sleep patterns with humans - BBC News

A boat? What kind?

That's massive! I didnt realize you'd done so well!

It sounds like a very cool gadget. For now, I'm still in resistance!

I here ya Lucy.
Part of my problem is waking up at 5:00am everyday for 25 years.
But I didnt mind because I was home by 3:00 everyday.
After 4 years of retirement I still cant kick the early wake up call,but to tell you the truth I love the early mornings.
It's my favorite time of day.
The bad part is when you're on vacation somewhere and you want your 5 a.m. coffee and newspaper and the hotel and the world is still asleep.

I here ya Lucy.
After 4 years of retirement I still cant kick the early wake up call,but to tell you the truth I love the early mornings.
The bad part is when you're on vacation somewhere and you want your 5 a.m. coffee and newspaper and the hotel and the world is still asleep.

Dont think I've ever stayed in a hotel that didnt have a coffee maker in the room and now days you have WI-FI so you can still read the paper.

Owls aren't dangerous....or are they? I love Owls, they're beautiful creatures.

Dangerous? Depends, are you a woodland creature?
Except the screech owl that visited the blue spruce outside my bedroom window one night and started up such a fierce screaming that I was sure (1) the cat had somehow gotten outside and was being murdered, then (2) (once I'd gotten my heart down out of my throat) another very large creature was outside being murdered. It was the most chilling noise in the middle of the night I've ever heard. They're little tiny things. Unbelievable.

I here ya Lucy.

Dont think I've ever stayed in a hotel that didnt have a coffee maker in the room and now days you have WI-FI so you can still read the paper.
I now ask before booking a room.

I just get up and get on here or clean or cook.
That's cool that you get some chores done. I keep thinking one of these nights I'll go outside and bird watch. It would be fun to see an owl.

I've always loved Owls, gorgeous creatures:

parliament14.jpg

A Parliament of Owls:

large.jpg
I like the way they look too. I don't think I've ever seen one really. I've heard them.

Forum List

Back