~Insomnia Kicking My Ass~

Insomnia like that sucks. I get that bad about twice a year. It is so frustrating.

Otherwise, I in a mild state of insomnia more often than I am not. That's more tolerable.

Insomnia like that sucks. I get that bad about twice a year. It is so frustrating.

Otherwise, I in a mild state of insomnia more often than I am not. That's more tolerable.

I've gotten it when my sleep patterns are thrown off. Getting the blood flowing by doing physical activity in the sun helps.

I've gotten it when my sleep patterns are thrown off. Getting the blood flowing by doing physical activity in the sun helps.
That is so true. I regularly work out, but most of the time it's inside and I see no improvement in my sleep with the work outs.

But, during nice weather, when I'm outside more, my sleep is much better than usual. :)

No sleep...again *sigh*
I went for 3 days with no sleep.....up till a day or two ago, then I finally was able to get a few hours.
Then again last night, no sleep...I laid down at 10:30 p.m. this evening, dozed off for a short while, only to be rudely awakened by the sound of thunder at 12:08 a.m........fucking shit.
I tried to go back to sleep....but no doing, I am a very light sleeper and once I am woken up, I have a hard time going back to sleep.
So....there must be a reason I'm not meant to get much sleep.....better be a damn good reason too :lol:

It's all payback because you voted for Obama!:lol:

Smoke some weed.

~LMAO~
No thanks dude, I appreciate your concern tho.
I don't even smoke cigarettes.......I sure as hell don't want weed near me...it fucking stinks! :lol:

Well...I don't lose any sleep over that.

Meanwhile you're taking how many pills every day, dabs?

I am prescribed 3 Xanax per day.
A total of 90 per month, but some days I don't end up taking all 3, then other days, I find I have taken a couple more than the norm.

No sleep...again *sigh*
I went for 3 days with no sleep.....up till a day or two ago, then I finally was able to get a few hours.
Then again last night, no sleep...I laid down at 10:30 p.m. this evening, dozed off for a short while, only to be rudely awakened by the sound of thunder at 12:08 a.m........fucking shit.
I tried to go back to sleep....but no doing, I am a very light sleeper and once I am woken up, I have a hard time going back to sleep.
So....there must be a reason I'm not meant to get much sleep.....better be a damn good reason too :lol:

It's all payback because you voted for Obama!:lol:

Nope, I did not vote for Obama....really truth!

I'm a good sleeper, hit the sack and I'm asleep. My wife is a light sleeper and sometimes takes an hour or more to get to sleep. A while ago we had some wind after days of rain and then heat. The weeds were a blow'n and we both had some allergy issues. She took an OTC allergy pill and so did I. I went to sleep as usual and she fell asleep quickly. In the morning I slept over an hour longer than usual (I slept 8 hours, my usual is seven) and though I felt a little 'hung over' and not as refreshed as usual it was this little pill that put me out 'hard'. I didn't dream, I usually do, and L.... has since taken one each night and she rarely wakes in the middle of the night or needs to watch TV or read for an hour or more.

For what it's worth, and before going to Rx drugs and their many side efffects you might try an Antihistamine (ours from Costco is: Diphenhydrmine HCL 25 mg).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Dabs I so relate. You'll go mad without sleep.

Melatonin works if i am in bed, spray the lavendar, put the eye mask on and 'wait' for the sleep. It usually does.

I have no great advice except exercise, no late eating, get a nighttime routine, which I am sure you've already heard.

Sleep/ blood pressure connection...
:confused:
Bad sleep ups blood pressure risk
30 August 2011 - A lack of deep sleep has been linked to higher blood pressure
Elderly men who spend little time in deep sleep could be at risk of developing high blood pressure, according to US scientists. A study on 784 patients, in the journal Hypertension, showed those getting the least deep sleep were at 83% greater risk than those getting the most. Researchers say they would expect a similar effect in women. The British Heart Foundation said it was important for everyone to prioritise sleep.

High blood pressure - also known as hypertension - increases the risk of heart attack, stroke and other health problems. Researchers measured the "sleep quality" of 784 men over the age of 65 between 2007 and 2009. At the start none had hypertension, while 243 had the condition by the end of the study. The patients were split into groups based on the percentage of time asleep spent in deep, or slow wave, sleep. Those in the lowest group - 4% deep sleep - had a 1.83-fold increased risk of hypertension compared with those in the highest group, who spent 17% of the night in deep sleep.

One of the report's authors, Professor Susan Redline from Harvard Medical School, said: "Our study shows for the first time that poor quality sleep, reflected by reduced slow wave sleep, puts individuals at significantly increased risk of developing high blood pressure. "Although women were not included in this study, it's quite likely that those who have lower levels of slow wave sleep for any number of reasons may also have an increased risk of developing high blood pressure." The report said further studies were needed to determine if improving sleep could reduce the risk.

Natasha Stewart, senior cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Whilst this study does suggest a link between lack of sleep and the development of high blood pressure, it only looked at men aged over 65. "We would need to see more research in other age groups and involving women to confirm this particular association. "However, we do know more generally that sleep is essential for staying healthy. It's important we all try to make sleep a priority and get our six to eight hours of shut-eye a night."

BBC News - Bad sleep ups blood pressure risk

No sleep...again *sigh*

I have trouble sleeping regularly, had the issue since I can remember. Mine is at its worst when I am the least active. For instance when I was in High School I played football, wrestled and played Baseball. When those seasons were on (and part of the post and pre-seasons) I slept regularly and like a log. When off-season came I would be unable to sleep at all or for any quality amount of time.

I try and keep myself busy outside of my normal day and work. Something to fill in a few hours here and there. This works two-fold for me. It burns up excess energy I have leaving less to haunt me at night, and occupies my mind for a time allowing it to exercise itself somewhat more to allow it to desire sleep.

In summer I coach Baseball at the local Little League, the rest of the time I Teach a class or two at the local YMCA, practice Kali, work on the heavy bag, and even work a baseball drill or even a Hubud drill or two with my son from time to time.

Tai Chi is supposed to be good for insomnia as well, I haven't tried it but heard some good things from my brother about it. I always see the old people practicing it in the park and well... I am not quite that old yet ..LOL

Apply to head with moderate force.
Use as needed.
(Side effects may include headache, dizziness, blurred vision, raised areas on the scalp, tenderness around the cranium, occasional concussion and in rare instances even death. Always consult with your local neanderthal before using any physical sleeping aids).

kunane022.jpg

Last edited:
Apply to head with moderate force.
Use as needed.
(Side effects may include headache, dizziness, blurred vision, raised areas on the scalp, tenderness around the cranium, occasional concussion and in rare instances even death. Always consult with your local neanderthal before using any physical sleeping aids).

kunane022.jpg

Ringel, that particular piece looks like it belongs somewhere else IN one's body...and not on the face :lol:

Sleep/ blood pressure connection...
:confused:
Bad sleep ups blood pressure risk
30 August 2011 - A lack of deep sleep has been linked to higher blood pressure
Elderly men who spend little time in deep sleep could be at risk of developing high blood pressure, according to US scientists. A study on 784 patients, in the journal Hypertension, showed those getting the least deep sleep were at 83% greater risk than those getting the most. Researchers say they would expect a similar effect in women. The British Heart Foundation said it was important for everyone to prioritise sleep.

High blood pressure - also known as hypertension - increases the risk of heart attack, stroke and other health problems. Researchers measured the "sleep quality" of 784 men over the age of 65 between 2007 and 2009. At the start none had hypertension, while 243 had the condition by the end of the study. The patients were split into groups based on the percentage of time asleep spent in deep, or slow wave, sleep. Those in the lowest group - 4% deep sleep - had a 1.83-fold increased risk of hypertension compared with those in the highest group, who spent 17% of the night in deep sleep.

One of the report's authors, Professor Susan Redline from Harvard Medical School, said: "Our study shows for the first time that poor quality sleep, reflected by reduced slow wave sleep, puts individuals at significantly increased risk of developing high blood pressure. "Although women were not included in this study, it's quite likely that those who have lower levels of slow wave sleep for any number of reasons may also have an increased risk of developing high blood pressure." The report said further studies were needed to determine if improving sleep could reduce the risk.

Natasha Stewart, senior cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Whilst this study does suggest a link between lack of sleep and the development of high blood pressure, it only looked at men aged over 65. "We would need to see more research in other age groups and involving women to confirm this particular association. "However, we do know more generally that sleep is essential for staying healthy. It's important we all try to make sleep a priority and get our six to eight hours of shut-eye a night."

BBC News - Bad sleep ups blood pressure risk

Thanks Waltky....they did say I have high blood pressure, in fact, at one point while being examined, it was at 185/120.
I always chalk everything up to stress....stress, stress, stress....that's my answer to most things :lol:

Sometimes Granny drowses off when ya talkin' to her...
:eusa_shifty:
Study: Half of women may have sleep apnea
8 Sept.`12 - 'We see that it doesn't go away and it gets worse'
Fully half of the 400 women given overnight sleep tests in a new Swedish study turned out to have mild-to-severe sleep apnea. In the random population sample of adult women who answered a questionnaire and were monitored while sleeping, half experienced at least five episodes an hour when they stopped breathing for longer than 10 seconds, the minimum definition of sleep apnea. Among women with hypertension or who were obese – two risk factors for sleep apnea – the numbers were even higher, reaching 80 to 84 percent of women.

Many of the women in the study represent mild cases of sleep apnea. “How important is the mild sleep apnea, we don’t know,” said Dr. Karl Franklin, the lead author of the study and a professor at Umea University in Sweden. Terry Young, a professor in the School of Medicine and Public Health at the University of Wisconsin, said mild sleep apnea is important to pay attention to. "We see that it doesn't go away and it gets worse," she said.

Sleep apnea is tied to a higher risk of stroke, heart attack and early death. One recent study also found that women who have sleep apnea are more likely to develop memory problems and dementia (see Reuters Health story of August 9, 2011). Franklin said his group wanted to get updated evidence of how common the condition is. The researchers selected 400 women between the ages of 20 and 70 from a larger population sample of 10,000, and asked them to sleep overnight at home with sensors attached to their bodies.

Half of women may have sleep apnea: study | Reuters

Sleep apnea claims explode...
:eusa_eh:
Attorney urges Congress to end sleep apnea claims 'abuse'
May 30, 2013 > In 2001, the year U.S. forces invaded Afghanistan, 983 veterans began to draw disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs for sleep apnea, a disorder linked to obesity and characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep that can cause chronic drowsiness.
Last year, 25 times that number of veterans and military retirees (24,791) were added to VA compensation rolls for service-connected sleep apnea, raising the number of vets and retirees drawing apnea payments to 114,103, double the number VA reported just three years earlier. VA compensation for sleep apnea now exceeds $1.2 billion annually under the most conservative of calculations. Michael T. Webster, a former naval aviator and family law attorney in Shalimar, Fla., calls this boom a scam and an offense to veterans who suffer from “real disabilities.”

Webster seeks to shine a spotlight on what he sees as “widespread abuse” of the VA claims system, mostly by recent retirees. He began with a May 6 letter to his congressman, Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), who is chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. “Virtually every single family law case which I have handled involving military members during the past three years has had the military retiree receiving a VA ‘disability’ based upon sleep apnea,” Webster wrote. “A recently retired colonel told me that military members approaching retirement are actually briefed that if they claim VA disability based on sleep apnea, then they receive an automatic 50 percent disability rating thereby qualifying for ‘concurrent’ payment status.”

A spokesman for Chairman Miller said: “These are obviously very serious allegations and the committee is looking into them to ensure that veterans benefits go only to those who have earned them.” VA data show 88 percent of veterans diagnosed with sleep apnea have a 50-percent disability rating. That’s because if a sleep study confirms apnea on active duty, or the condition can be linked back to time in service, and a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine is prescribed, then the current VA rating schedule requires a 50 percent disability rating.

Ironically, physicians who treat the disorder say that if a CPAP provides relief, vets no longer should be viewed as disabled, a nuance ignored by the Veterans Affairs Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD). “Many people who have sleep apnea and are on treatment are not disabled. I would say the majority,” said Dr. Samuel Kuna, chief of sleep medicine at the Philadelphia VA Medical Center, in a phone interview. That seems to support Webster’s argument that VA is compensating increasing numbers of veterans who aren’t disabled. Webster said he knows of retired Air Force pilots diagnosed with sleep apnea who have passed rigorous flight physicals to be able to fly commercial aircraft.

MORE

I find that snuggling up with a warm, sweet doberman or two helps me sleep like a baby. : )

Dabs, I would think if you're going to take those powerful pharmaceuticals, you should at least take them consistently!

I'm agoraphobic and will have nothing to do with their drugs!

@ Retired- I was on Lunesta at one time, but I didn't like the way it made me feel. I have Xanax now, to help with my stress and anxiety issues. Sometimes I take a couple of those to help me sleep, which I did at 10, before I went to bed. But once the thunder came along...I was up~

@ Shintao- Yes I have heard sex can help a person rest better, and orgasm, anyway you can get one *haha* But I am a single person at the moment, and I really don't have the desire or urge to pleasure myself. So....thanks for the advice, but those won't be of use ~LoL~

@ MeBelle- I have tried Melatonin, I have a bottle of it right now in my closet in fact. Does nothing for me...4 tablets even, still nothing~

That is because you have zanax in your system. That is a synthetic drug and it will shut down your ability to sleep when you are not taking it - it is highly addictive and a dangerous drug in my opinion.

I think you should talk to your doctor and let him prescribe something to transition you temporarily - a low dose of Atavan maybe - ask him - wean yourself off of it - use the herbal passion flower tea full strength you buy from herbal stores. Drink alot of water - you have to flush your system out. Staying hydrated is a good idea anyhow.

Start walking, get into a routine of exercise to wear you out so that your body will feel tired.. eventually you will gradually get into a deep sleep just using the Passion Flower Tea - talk to your Doctor about all of this including exercise - see what he says and do it.

Don't concentrate on whether or not you'll go to sleep. Just go to bed when you feel tired and take your mind off of that drifting off process - definitely get off that Zanax no matter what they tell you. It is not good to take synthetic drugs. - Jeri

Forum List

Back