Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias

Well here's the data, now what?

Stanford researchers found that black and Latino drivers were stopped more often than white drivers, based on less evidence of wrongdoing.
190313-police-traffic-stops-study-kh_b5860e0c3428d3fe0b1c33773cca14f9.fit-760w.jpg

Jasjyot Singh Hans / for NBC News
March 13, 2019, 10:00 AM PDT
By Erik Ortiz

Three years ago, an unmarked police car tailed Richard Jackson into an alley behind his home on Chicago's West Side and pulled him over. Jackson, a black Navy veteran, had become used to being stopped by police for what he believed was no reason since returning to Illinois from the military in 2012.

But this time was different. After an officer ran his driver's license, then said he was free to go, Jackson pointedly asked what he had done wrong. The officer, who is white, said Jackson had cut him off, which Jackson denied. The officer then issued Jackson citations for failing to yield at a left turn and stop sign, which Jackson also denied.

Although the officer did not allude to Jackson's race, the veteran believed that was why he was stopped. He successfully fought the two citations and filed a complaint with the Chicago police.

190707-richard-jackson-al-0742_7a680137d12eae7c45da45f721d86035.fit-760w.jpg

Richard Jackson filed a complaint after a 2016 traffic stop.Richard Jackson
"With this racial profiling — I'm not just going to roll over," Jackson, 36, said.

The Chicago police did not respond to a request for comment.

Jackson's encounter with the Chicago police reflects the experiences of people of color across the country, who describe being stopped and searched by officers without a good reason. Like Jackson, many believe their race played a role.

Now, Stanford University researchers have compiled the most comprehensive evidence to date suggesting there is a pattern of racial disparities in traffic stops. The researchers provided NBC News with the traffic-stop data — the largest such dataset ever collected — which points to pervasive inequality in how police decide to stop and search white and minority drivers.

Using information obtained through public record requests, the Stanford Open Policing Project examined almost 100 million traffic stops conducted from 2011 to 2017 across 21 state patrol agencies, including California, Illinois, New York and Texas, and 29 municipal police departments, including New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and St. Paul, Minnesota.

The results show that police stopped and searched black and Latino drivers on the basis of less evidence than used in stopping white drivers, who are searched less often but are more likely to be found with illegal items. The study does not set out to conclude whether officers knowingly engaged in racial discrimination, but uses a more nuanced analysis of traffic stop data to infer that race is a factor when people are pulled over — and that it's occuring across the country.

"Because of this analysis, we're able to get to that anecdotal story to say this is really happening," said Sharad Goel, an assistant professor in management science and engineering at Stanford and a co-author of the study.

Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias
And we have a racist president who continues to appoint conservative judges to the Federal courts – and justices to the Supreme Court – willing to allow these Fourth Amendment violations to continue.

Black Americans will continue to be subject to a doctrine of presumed guilty, with no recourse through the judicial process.

probably most of the discrepancy is simply due to the fact that there's more black people in high crime areas

I am white
I was stalked/stopped by white cops for---------------------------------------walking!!!
walking to work!!!!!!!!
never made headline news

2 other times stopped by white cops for -----------------------bicycling !!!!!
to and from work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
never made headline news

Well here's the data, now what?

Stanford researchers found that black and Latino drivers were stopped more often than white drivers, based on less evidence of wrongdoing.​
190313-police-traffic-stops-study-kh_b5860e0c3428d3fe0b1c33773cca14f9.fit-760w.jpg
Jasjyot Singh Hans / for NBC News​
March 13, 2019, 10:00 AM PDT​
By Erik Ortiz​
Three years ago, an unmarked police car tailed Richard Jackson into an alley behind his home on Chicago's West Side and pulled him over. Jackson, a black Navy veteran, had become used to being stopped by police for what he believed was no reason since returning to Illinois from the military in 2012.​
But this time was different. After an officer ran his driver's license, then said he was free to go, Jackson pointedly asked what he had done wrong. The officer, who is white, said Jackson had cut him off, which Jackson denied. The officer then issued Jackson citations for failing to yield at a left turn and stop sign, which Jackson also denied.​
Although the officer did not allude to Jackson's race, the veteran believed that was why he was stopped. He successfully fought the two citations and filed a complaint with the Chicago police.​
190707-richard-jackson-al-0742_7a680137d12eae7c45da45f721d86035.fit-760w.jpg
Richard Jackson filed a complaint after a 2016 traffic stop.Richard Jackson​
"With this racial profiling — I'm not just going to roll over," Jackson, 36, said.​
The Chicago police did not respond to a request for comment.​
Jackson's encounter with the Chicago police reflects the experiences of people of color across the country, who describe being stopped and searched by officers without a good reason. Like Jackson, many believe their race played a role.​
Now, Stanford University researchers have compiled the most comprehensive evidence to date suggesting there is a pattern of racial disparities in traffic stops. The researchers provided NBC News with the traffic-stop data — the largest such dataset ever collected — which points to pervasive inequality in how police decide to stop and search white and minority drivers.​
Using information obtained through public record requests, the Stanford Open Policing Project examined almost 100 million traffic stops conducted from 2011 to 2017 across 21 state patrol agencies, including California, Illinois, New York and Texas, and 29 municipal police departments, including New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and St. Paul, Minnesota.​
The results show that police stopped and searched black and Latino drivers on the basis of less evidence than used in stopping white drivers, who are searched less often but are more likely to be found with illegal items. The study does not set out to conclude whether officers knowingly engaged in racial discrimination, but uses a more nuanced analysis of traffic stop data to infer that race is a factor when people are pulled over — and that it's occuring across the country.​
"Because of this analysis, we're able to get to that anecdotal story to say this is really happening," said Sharad Goel, an assistant professor in management science and engineering at Stanford and a co-author of the study.​
This is bull shit. I'm not going to say it never happens. I'm white as rice and I have been pulled over more than my share for kidnapping, robbery, armed robbery, and every other excuse. One cop made a habit of parking in front of my house to do his paper work. The last wreak I was in with a driver that pulled out on me and had no insurance. I was given 4 bull shit tickets and a $350 towing fee for a mile and a half tow. This racial profiling is falling on deft ears.

#TheLargerIssue #SingleParenting #ChildNeglectMaltreatment #MentalHealth #Solutions

Now, Stanford University researchers have compiled the most comprehensive evidence to date suggesting there is a pattern of racial disparities in traffic stops. The researchers provided NBC News with the traffic-stop data — the largest such dataset ever collected — which points to pervasive inequality in how police decide to stop and search white and minority drivers.

Back in the day when I was a uniform and plainclothes cop serving the embattled Brooklyn, NY neighborhoods where apparent or admitted suicidal, homicidal thinking Shawn Carter, Christopher Wallace and their GUN TOTING crews peddled life sapping drugs to their depressed neighbors, regardless of their self-harming neighbor's AGE, physical, emotional or MATERNAL condition, most all motorists I detained were black American or foreign born citizens.

Thinking back, I'm guessing about a third were Felony Car Stops where police guns were drawn, great caution employed, and sometimes loud crude street language was used to alert the suspect(s) we meant business.

Quite a few times I threatened to use DPF, aka shoot, a motorist/suspect refusing to comply with my lawful order to place his or her hands where I can see them.

Frankly, I can't think of many cops who got their rocks off pulling guns on fellow citizens.

Though you have to keep in mind officers serving 'young' Biggie's and Jay Z's neighborhoods would respond to an average of three 911 reports of SHOTS FIRED during typical 1600x2400 and 1800x 0200 tours.

I'm not fibbing when stating a few times a week I would hear the hair raising sound of nearby or distant gunfire echoing through the residential neighborhoods we patrolled. On a rare occasion we'd actually witness homicidal, suicidal thinking knuckleheads firing shots at one another.

Due to tour changes for court and other mandated daytime appearances, at least four times a month I slept in the precinct dorm instead of driving home to my neighborhood where I NEVER hear the bone-chilling sounds of gunfire and rarely hear a police siren.

Hearing the sound of gunfire as I tried to sleep, I quickly learned to use the bottom bunk directly under the window so there a thick wall between me and the outside world, and less chance of being struck by a ricocheting projectile should one come speeding through the dorm window.

One night while I was sleeping in the dorm, four folks were gunned down inside a home located about 150 yards from where I was sleeping.

Another time I was signing out at about 3:30 PM (broad daylight) when I heard a loud ka-boom outside the precinct. I looked out the window in time to see a young dude about eighteen-years old stuffing what looked like a sawed-off shotgun down his pajama type pants. Turns out he had a beef with a girl living next to the 79 Pct. and decided to let her know he was REALLY ticked.

As I recall, the dude's family decided to hire a lawyer who called me, the only witness to the crimes his client was charged with, to testify during a preliminary hearing. I'm guessing he probably wishes he hadn't cause I never saw or heard from him again after the hearing. I also recall Judge Firetog admonishing the young defense attorney for badgering the witness, me. That was a fun hearing, I loved when attorney's tried to get under my skin. :)

There are two points I'm making here. The first is, when serving communities populated mostly by black or American citizens of African descent, for the most part, cops aren't going to be detaining non-black motorists.

The second larger point is, I'm sorry our ever-evolving, imperfect Nation's generational THUGLIFE Culture of Child Abuse has caused large numbers of black American kids to mature into hateful, sometimes violent citizens lacking respect, empathy and compassion for their peaceful or less fortunate neighbors.

I'm even sadder large numbers of our Nation's most precious and cherished assets, THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, experience a traumatic, potentially life scarring childhood and teen upbringing fraught with Struggles, PAIN, Hardships, COMMUNITY FEAR, Frustrations, Uncertainty, Depression, Sorrow, Sadness, Torment, Demeaning Government Handouts, Resentment, HATE and COMMUNITY VIOLENCE!

However, Keeping it REAL, until ALL AMERICANS grow some hair on their butts and begin identifying the large population of SELFISH, immature, incompetent, apathetic American moms responsible for creating our Nation's THUGLIFE Culture of HATE and Child Abuse, I will guarantee you the image of black or brown complected citizens is not going to improve.

If anyone has a problem with me picking on black women, please keep in mind unlike President and Mrs. Obama's friends and WH guests, I have never composed or promoted Rap music hatefully denigrating girls and women as less than human creatures and HOES, THOTS or RATCHET females undeserving of being treated with basic human respect.

Peace.

Thanks for your heartfelt and informative post.

Self-styled "liberals" simply cannot stomach the brutal & (admittedly) hurtful truth.

Some people actually think that the situation can be improved by throwing billions of dollars at it.

No, it ain't ever gonna get better.

It is truly the saddest & most outrageous feature of American life.

If there is a God, may She/He have mercy on this nation.

#TheLargerIssue #SingleParenting #ChildNeglectMaltreatment #MentalHealth #Solutions

Back in the day when I was a uniform and plainclothes cop serving the embattled Brooklyn, NY neighborhoods where apparent or admitted suicidal, homicidal thinking Shawn Carter, Christopher Wallace and their GUN TOTING crews peddled life sapping drugs to their depressed neighbors, regardless of their self-harming neighbor's AGE, physical, emotional or MATERNAL condition, most all motorists I detained were black American or foreign born citizens.

Thinking back, I'm guessing about a third were Felony Car Stops where police guns were drawn, great caution employed, and sometimes loud crude street language was used to alert the suspect(s) we meant business.

Quite a few times I threatened to use DPF, aka shoot, a motorist/suspect refusing to comply with my lawful order to place his or her hands where I can see them.

Frankly, I can't think of many cops who got their rocks off pulling guns on fellow citizens.

Though you have to keep in mind officers serving 'young' Biggie's and Jay Z's neighborhoods would respond to an average of three 911 reports of SHOTS FIRED during typical 1600x2400 and 1800x 0200 tours.

I'm not fibbing when stating a few times a week I would hear the hair raising sound of nearby or distant gunfire echoing through the residential neighborhoods we patrolled. On a rare occasion we'd actually witness homicidal, suicidal thinking knuckleheads firing shots at one another.

Due to tour changes for court and other mandated daytime appearances, at least four times a month I slept in the precinct dorm instead of driving home to my neighborhood where I NEVER hear the bone-chilling sounds of gunfire and rarely hear a police siren.

Hearing the sound of gunfire as I tried to sleep, I quickly learned to use the bottom bunk directly under the window so there a thick wall between me and the outside world, and less chance of being struck by a ricocheting projectile should one come speeding through the dorm window.

One night while I was sleeping in the dorm, four folks were gunned down inside a home located about 150 yards from where I was sleeping.

Another time I was signing out at about 3:30 PM (broad daylight) when I heard a loud ka-boom outside the precinct. I looked out the window in time to see a young dude about eighteen-years old stuffing what looked like a sawed-off shotgun down his pajama type pants. Turns out he had a beef with a girl living next to the 79 Pct. and decided to let her know he was REALLY ticked.

As I recall, the dude's family decided to hire a lawyer who called me, the only witness to the crimes his client was charged with, to testify during a preliminary hearing. I'm guessing he probably wishes he hadn't cause I never saw or heard from him again after the hearing. I also recall Judge Firetog admonishing the young defense attorney for badgering the witness, me. That was a fun hearing, I loved when attorney's tried to get under my skin. :)

There are two points I'm making here. The first is, when serving communities populated mostly by black or American citizens of African descent, for the most part, cops aren't going to be detaining non-black motorists.

The second larger point is, I'm sorry our ever-evolving, imperfect Nation's generational THUGLIFE Culture of Child Abuse has caused large numbers of black American kids to mature into hateful, sometimes violent citizens lacking respect, empathy and compassion for their peaceful or less fortunate neighbors.

I'm even sadder large numbers of our Nation's most precious and cherished assets, THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, experience a traumatic, potentially life scarring childhood and teen upbringing fraught with Struggles, PAIN, Hardships, COMMUNITY FEAR, Frustrations, Uncertainty, Depression, Sorrow, Sadness, Torment, Demeaning Government Handouts, Resentment, HATE and COMMUNITY VIOLENCE!

However, Keeping it REAL, until ALL AMERICANS grow some hair on their butts and begin identifying the large population of SELFISH, immature, incompetent, apathetic American moms responsible for creating our Nation's THUGLIFE Culture of HATE and Child Abuse, I will guarantee you the image of black or brown complected citizens is not going to improve.

If anyone has a problem with me picking on black women, please keep in mind unlike President and Mrs. Obama's friends and WH guests, I have never composed or promoted Rap music hatefully denigrating girls and women as less than human creatures and HOES, THOTS or RATCHET females undeserving of being treated with basic human respect.

View attachment 250308

Peace.

Thanks for your heartfelt and informative post.

Self-styled "liberals" simply cannot stomach the brutal & (admittedly) hurtful truth.

Some people actually think that the situation can be improved by throwing billions of dollars at it.

No, it ain't ever gonna get better.

It is truly the saddest & most outrageous feature of American life.

If there is a God, may She/He have mercy on this nation.

Hi, Parser.

Sadly, you are correct when observing "it ain't ever going to get better."

I do not foresee Race Relations in our nation improving when significant numbers of children and teens are being raised and conditioned to HATE their neighbors.

Witness an American citizen speak about experiencing divisive ProBlack community influence during his upbringing:

"I Used To Hate White People - My #WalkAway Story" ~It's Kyou 912,001 views

"Blacks Are Taught To Hate America" ~It's Kyou

ProBlack/BLM Community Pathology Explained in 60 Seconds:

Related video:

"They Hated White People."

Witness a young American woman speak about being a teenager, witnessing her mother's racial segregation minded business associates HATING, and making blatant racist comments about white American citizens.

RevJesseLee_GaziKodzo.jpg
ReparationsChildAbuse.jpg

Peace.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back