Indians: Had Enough of the Mythology?

Ravi, you uncovered something pretty interesting here.

The last ice age ended and the land bridge began to disappear beneath the sea, some 13,000 years ago. Global sea levels rose as the vast continental ice sheets melted, liberating billions of gallons of fresh water. As the land bridge flooded, the entire Beringian region grew more warm and moist, and the shrub tundra vegetation spread rapidly, out-competing the steppe-tundra plants that had dominated the interior lowlands of Beringia.

While this spelled the end of the woolly mammoths and other large grazing animals, it probably also provided the impetus for human migration. As retreating glaciers opened new routes into the continent, humans travelled first into the Alaskan interior and the Yukon, and ultimately south out of the Arctic region and toward the temperate regions of the Americas. The first definitive archaeological evidence we have for the presence of people beyond Beringia and interior Alaska comes from this time, about 13,000 years ago.

Folk Flaws

Indians offer the world a rich storytelling tradition from which we Americans derive many interesting names/mascots for place names (i.e., Cherokee High School) and sports team mascots (i.e., Florida State Seminoles).

What if we simply explore the creativity behind avatars and mythologies surrounding culture storytelling (i.e. The Illiad, The Mahabharata, etc.)?

Folk dialogue may be the best way to approach revisionist history. Americans appreciate avatar storytelling. Native-Americans celebrate various avatar spirits such as the double-woman and use avatar-themed names such as Running Eagle. Americans celebrated Hindu mythology avatars such as Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) during the counter-culture movement and still celebrate populism-rich festival-related avatars such as Michael Myers (the fictional masked ghoul from the popular Halloween American horror film franchise).

If we want to claim that Running Eagle or Seminoles are silly, we should evaluate why Shiva and Michael Myers are artistically inspiring for many Americans.

:afro:

Shiva (Hinduism)

Michael Myers (Halloween)

Revisionist History (Wikipedia)

Michaelmyers2007.JPG
shiva.jpg

Forum List

Back