Indian fry bread & Indian tacos

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Cultural diversity potluck next week, and this is my contribution.

My mom's folks are not Indian, but oddly enough, it is from my mom that I learned to make Indian fry bread..though we just called it fry bread or dodgers. On the internet, I've looked up "dodgers" but they all have cornmeal, and we never used cornmeal. We used white dough...either yeast or baking powder dough.

Now frybread is the #1 powwow food, which is sort of funny to me. I think my ancestors and the Indians were working with the same food stores at the same time.

I'm making yeast fry bread. Most Indian frybreads use baking powder, which is good as well, but I prefer the yeast kind myself. I just make a soft bread dough (flour w/salt, sugar & yeast stirred in, then enough warm water to make a soft dough). Sometimes I let it rise and punch it down, sometimes I cook it immediately.

Take a palm-sized (or bigger) chunk of dough, pull, stretch or roll it into a good sized, fairly thin disc (it will be of varying thicknesses) and slide into an inch or so of hot oil and/or butter in a cast iron skillet. Let cook until brown, then carefully flip.

Take out and butter. Condiments (for plain fry bread): Honey butter, molasses butter, huckleberry jam, powdered sugard.

For Indian tacos, you use the fry bread for the tortilla. Use traditional taco fillings: seasoned beef, bird or game, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, beans (canned chili is actually the modern tradition), shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, green hot sauce, chilis, jalepenos, olives, onions.

I get my frybread on Fridaysin the parking lot of Basha's in Whiteriver.
There is this one family that makes the best frybread and they are there on Fridays selling it for 5 bucks a half dozen.
Yum!
If I ate all the frybread and honey I wanted I would weigh 900 pounds.......

• Banned
Sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm hungry, I'll make some.

I get my frybread on Fridaysin the parking lot of Basha's in Whiteriver.
There is this one family that makes the best frybread and they are there on Fridays selling it for 5 bucks a half dozen.
Yum!
If I ate all the frybread and honey I wanted I would weigh 900 pounds.......

Frybread and sopapillas, both very popular here.

• Banned
Elephant ears?
Frybread is like small elephant ears.
The kind with baking powder is a little heavier. Same concept.

Forum List

Back