Homemade fast food...

Somebody told me that you would be missing Iron as well as other vitamins if I really tried the economical bread diet. You need nutrients for daily health. I did bread with a regular eat-out retail about once a week to spice it up for a month, though. That's my experience. Nothing special, feel good, it's just eating bread.

Somebody told me that you would be missing Iron as well as other vitamins if I really tried the economical bread diet. You need nutrients for daily health. I did bread with a regular eat-out retail about once a week to spice it up for a month, though. That's my experience. Nothing special, feel good, it's just eating bread.
Might as well just eat heaping spoonfuls of sugar. It is the same thing.

I've never heard of a bread diet.

You need specific essential vitamins and minerals and they come in two flavors. Water soluble, and fat soluble.

None of them come in Carbohydrate soluble.

I am just really curious. This thread made me curious. Is there a more efficient thing in the world than sliced bread? You can buy a loaf at one dollar and that's 2000 calories, so that's your day's calorie count. You'd need vitamin pills. You can spice it up with iron or sauces.

That's a good point. I can eat "breakfast" any time of day. A couple eggs, some leftover ham, and a piece of toast or two.
That reminds me...

One dozen eggs
1 lb diced ham (diced small)
diced cooked onion
1 bag stuffing cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Set oven to 350
Cook onion, scramble eggs, add all the rest.
Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and add 1/4 cup mix to non-stick cupcake pans,
bake for 20 minutes. Instant mini quiches.
Make up your own mixes for variety.

Make in a large 12" skillet if you don't have a Wok;

Diced (leftover) chicken
1 bag frozen Chinese vegetables or broccoli, carrot cauliflower mix
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Corn starch or arrowroot for thickening
Soy sauce

Mix oils, heat to fragrance, add chicken, vegetables and seasonings, cook till vegetables are almost done then add broth. Mix up thickening agent with soy sauce then add to mix, cook until sauce has thickened and serve over rice.

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

Mix oils, heat to fragrance, add chicken, vegetables and seasonings, cook till vegetables are almost done then add broth. Mix up thickening agent with soy sauce then add to mix, cook until sauce has thickened and serve over rice.

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.
Got rid of mine a decade ago, now I just use a 12" skillet.

They allow internet access in solitary now? :eusa_whistle:

They allow internet access in solitary now? :eusa_whistle:
Good one! isn't that the stereotype? One slice of bread, butter on it, slide it on a plate inbetween the bars, rattle your metal cup. Why would you get a Metal cup in prison?

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

My favorite is a 14" Wok for stir frying. I use a 12" skillet for pan frying chops/thighs etc.
I just made some Pork Mei Fun for dinner in the Wok. 12" skillet won't do that, not deep enough by the time you add the noodles/cabbage/veggies etc.
Otherwise your using 3 or 4 pots.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

My favorite is a 14" Wok for stir frying. I use a 12" skillet for pan frying chops/thighs etc.
I just made some Pork Mei Fun for dinner in the Wok. 12" skillet won't do that, not deep enough by the time you add the noodles/cabbage/veggies etc.
Just the wife and I so not a big deal besides with the new chemo she's not eating much now anyway.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

Just the wife and I so not a big deal besides with the new chemo she's not eating much now anyway.

Sorry to hear that. There is nothing good about growing old.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

I'm sorry to hear that. She will be in My prayers.

What do you feed your family when time, or money, or time and money... are scarce?

Much to the disgust of some, I have used Bisquick to make cake and to make pizza dough.
Bisquick coffee cake has it's own thread.

So I'm looking for people to share their go-to, end of the month or limited budget recipes.

My eternal go to is beans and Indian fry bread. I can, and do, make bread. But I was raised on fry bread, and my kids and their friends love it too.

Beans are pretty basic...I do add chili powder, and garlic, and some (not a lot) onion, in addition to salt and pepper. If I have pork I will put in whatever I've got..bacon, sausage, pork roast..I've even put chops in there. But if I don't, it's just the seasonings.

Frybread is just a yeast batter (or sometimes a batter made with baking powder...and sometimes a little of both) that is fried. I poke a hole in the middle to keep them from puffing up and cooking unevenly.

Frybread is served with butter, beans, jam, sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon, honey...anything, really. Also really good used as a taco base but honestly, if I'm in a hurry or tired, I seldom make tacos.
Few things are cheaper and more economical than a whole chicken.
TONS of possibilities, and free awesome broth if you boil it.
I totally agree. Whole chickens, and Boston Butt (pork shoulder) roasts.

Fried rice is also awesome..

I cook spices and onion in quite a bit of oil ...I use salt, chili (or paprika) garlic, ginger, curry, pepper, I put in some chicken boullion if I have it and a little tumeric
I add whatever meat I'm using, it's usually cooked already I heat it up..
I add the rice and when it's hot I will make a well in the middle and drop an egg or two in, scramble it, toss it through add chopped green onions and a tiny bit of soy...

It's really yummy. If I have cabbage, I sliver some up and put that in there at the beginning too (with the onion).

Last edited:
What do you feed your family when time, or money, or time and money... are scarce?

Much to the disgust of some, I have used Bisquick to make cake and to make pizza dough.

So I'm looking for people to share their go-to, end of the month or limited budget recipes.

My eternal go to is beans and Indian fry bread. I can, and do, make bread. But I was raised on fry bread, and my kids and their friends love it too. Really easy to bake them or cook in the skillet.

Beans are pretty basic...I do add chili powder, and garlic, and some (not a lot) onion, in addition to salt and pepper. If I have pork I will put in whatever I've got..bacon, sausage, pork roast..I've even put chops in there. But if I don't, it's just the seasonings.

Frybread is just a yeast batter (or sometimes a batter made with baking powder...and sometimes a little of both) that is fried. I poke a hole in the middle to keep them from puffing up and cooking unevenly.

Frybread is served with butter, beans, jam, sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon, honey...anything, really. Also really good used as a taco base but honestly, if I'm in a hurry or tired, I seldom make tacos.

Forgot Pork Chops. When my local grocery store runs a sale, they are $2.49 - $2.99/lb. Probably the cheapest meat going, and they are really good.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

The whole chemo is a disaster. ANYTHING nutritional and addictive will work to entice her. Milkshakes ( real fruits) Pizzas low grease/wheat crust, soups.
Stay away from fake sugars as much as possible.Egg salad, tuna salad(in water).
Put your hands on some fresh ginger and do some tea. Just sips/shot glasses full. As many as possible. Make sure everything is room temp or somewhat warm(ish). Cold food burns calories. She needs absorption.Little by little... day and night. NO munching out.

My eternal go to is beans and Indian fry bread. I can, and do, make bread. But I was raised on fry bread, and my kids and their friends love it too. Really easy to bake them or cook in the skillet.

Forgot Pork Chops. When my local grocery store runs a sale, they are $2.49 - $2.99/lb. Probably the cheapest meat going, and they are really good.
I buy boston butts by the gross (slight exaggeration but I picked up 4 the last time) but I wait until they're under $2/lb to do it.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

The whole chemo is a disaster. ANYTHING nutritional and addictive will work to entice her. Milkshakes ( real fruits) Pizzas low grease/wheat crust, soups.
Put your hands on some fresh ginger and do some tea. Just sips/shot glasses full. As many as possible. Make sure everything is room temp or somewhat warm(ish). Cold food burns calories. She needs absorption.Little by little... day and night. NO munching out.

Homemade chicken broth with ginger and tumeric and plenty of salt. Maybe a tiny cayenne.

I made my sister drink it when she was feeling low after spinal surgery.

Diced (leftover) chicken
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Ground ginger
tsp Sesame oil
Tbsp Peanut oil
2 cups chicken broth
Soy sauce

... don't have a Wok...
Them's fightin' words.

She doesn't munch out and right now it's a matter of nausea and not keeping anything down, even water. We've been dealing with this for a while so I'm pretty sure we're up on what to do. Thanks anyway.

Sorry guys i have to report you for hate crimes.

being frugal is now hateful
some people may not feel safe

Apr 30 2019
Chase Bank Chastised for Advocating Frugality
The moonbattery has reached the point where it is no longer politically permissible to suggest that people spend their money wisely. This constitutes “poor shaming.” From Fox News:

Chase bank was blasted on Twitter Monday following a #MotivationalMonday tweet that offered suggestions on how those struggling could save money, such as make your coffee at home, eat food in the fridge and take a cab when you can.

Leading the charge against this thought crime was wealthy Marxist harridan Elizabeth Warren, who shrieked class warfare rhetoric, implying that individuals cannot be held responsible for their spending behavior and that it is the economy’s fault if some people run out of money.

Meanwhile, outside her bubble of liberal ideology, the economy grew by an impressive 3.2% in the first quarter of the year, thanks largely to a business-friendly administration in the White House.

As always when a corporation accidentally transgresses against the ideology of bullying ultra-leftists, an apology was not long in coming. The offending tweet was deleted. Chase Bank humbly submitted this:

Chase

✔@Chase

Our #MondayMotivation is to get better at #MondayMotivation tweets. Thanks for the feedback Twitter world.

2:54 PM - Apr 29, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
5,013 people are talking about this

Maybe if they cringe and grovel pathetically enough, Chase will be the last bank Democrats like Warren nationalize.

On a tip from Varla.

141013132117-clowns-world-clowning-association-march-2014-story-top.jpg

Forum List

Back