Increase in Cigarette tax from roughly 80 cents to $2.50 on ballot in Colorado

I would say smokers are dumber than lottery players
smokers dont lose their house and their life savings on cigarettes

If I spend $5 on lottery tickets I am betting on winning millions of dollars
If I spend $5 on cigarettes, I am betting on getting cancer
the oldest woman in the world smoked almost everyday until she died.

Yup...and my grandfather smoked three packs a day of unfiltered Camel cigarettes and coughed up a lung at 59
and my uncle ate sugary foods at every meal and lost his foot to diabetes three years before he died at 39, does that mean sugar should be illegal?

If liberals want to CLAIM this stupid shit is strictly to protect the health of the consumer, they need to be consistent.

Otherwise, just fess up and say, "We don't like cigarettes, so we are going to punish those who smoke. We don't mind doughnuts, so we will not punish fat pieces of crap who overeat and won't get off the couch."

Just be honest if you are not going to be consistent.

It's statistically proven that smokers earn less than non smokers.

This tax will punish the poor. Why are liberals so cruel? They obviously hate the poor.
Smokers cost a lot of money to take care of when they are at the end of their lives
you don't pay it because everyone is required to have health insurance now
Nooo..... people's premiums in dease to offset the cost Junior

noooo people who smoke pay more than you do, Corky

It's statistically proven that smokers earn less than non smokers.

This tax will punish the poor. Why are liberals so cruel? They obviously hate the poor.
Well if they're poor and are smokers they probably would live longer if they bought less cigarettes.

I would say smokers are dumber than lottery players
smokers dont lose their house and their life savings on cigarettes

Neither do most gamblers. My habit is $14 in lottery tickets a week, A few hundred during football season on pools and fantasy, and a trip to AC or Vegas every other year. And there I feel pains when I lose more than $300 or so (which makes me stop)
most people who eat sugary and fatty foods dont weigh 500lbs either, that doesn't mean addiction isn't real

Agreed, but when you regulate based on the actions of the worst people involved, you screw over others who are able to handle themselves.

I enjoy pot a few times a year. It should be legal, but drug laws are there to attempt to protect the most easily addicted people, not me.
Addicts are so quick to shout Not Me, Not Me!

Are you implying addiction because I toke up once a year during camping, and maybe 2 other times during the year?

co will be rolling in healthcare savings and be able to reduce rates......... rrrriiiighhhhtttt

Of all the taxes, the so-called "sin taxes" are the ones that I find most objectionable.

I don't mind if the money is used to mitigate the effects of the sin. Cigarette taxes paying for healthcare and education. Liquor taxes paying for treatment of alcoholics and drunk driving enforcement

But when they go to line the pockets of state and local governments, I think they are wrong

With some people, smoking is one of the only pleasures in life. Smoking, depending on where you live, is becoming unaffordable for those with limited income. Just saying.

Condition-Of-Smoker-Lungs-Lung-Cancer.jpg

freedom+oppression+power.png

The truth is that I enjoy the Right whining about their loss of freedom to kill themselves any way they want, even though that is not true. We just make it more expensive for them to kill themselves with tobacco. Actually, I love tobacco companies now. For the most part, everyone with an IQ of over 70 in America has stopped smoking, and tobacco companies are killing Chinese people instead. In the meantime, they were sued, and my daughter went through college and nursing school on State tobacco settlement money.

I don't smoke.
I agree that they are 'death sticks'.
That being said....

Cigarettes are LEGAL.
So how can the government admit they are LEGAL, bad for you, are addictive, and yet punitively jack up the cost on a public product, basically forcibly - economically - stripping an American citizen of their right / choice to buy a product?

It's like they are trying to force cigarettes into extinction but are trying to make as much of a profit as they can while doing so.

THIS X 1000!

This is the entire point.

If it's legal, STFU and let me handle it. if you don't want me to smoke, MAKE IT ILLEGAL.

it's a pretty fucking simple concept.

Yet they embrace smoking pot. I guess they really just want you stoned and on cloud nine 24/7.

Forum List

Back