In Order to Cut U.S. military spending dramatically would you be willing to......

There are currently 36 military bases in Germany. Now at the end of WW2 it might have been necessary but today is it still necessary to have that many bases. What is the threat? Russian Communism has fallen. Germany and American relations are good. Japan has 23 bases. Is Japan still a threat. I mean militarily and not economically. At some point you got to let it go as there is no need for that many bases. They have cut military bases in the US which directly effects the local communities that the bases are located.

Most U.S. bases in German and Japan support more distant U.S. operations. German bases support U.S. operations in the Middle East for example and Japanese bases throughout the Western Pacific and Asia.

For example when a young soldier who grew up down the road from me lost both legs in a grenade attack in Baghdad he was med evaced to the big U.S. medical center in Germany where the first of his life saving surgeries was conducted and he began the first of his rehab.

Now he's back home riding his motorcycle doing just fine. His experience with his artificial limbs was detailed in a story in Popular Mechanics.
Yet another reason to close all the bases and bring the troops home...Afghanistan is an unwinnable quagmire, since nobody is willing to do what would be required.

So you can defeat the largest navy in the world with 2 anti ship missiles?
You are mistaken

china has the largest navy now
Yet we have the largest navy ships...
ballistic_missile_submarines_size_chart_by_dystatic_studio-d4yj8kq.png
Our aircraft carriers are the largest capital ships in the world. The USS Enterprise I being the largest of the large...
Totally false

But you keep stroking

How many of those are naval vessels?
Every Chinese cargo ship is now a potential military vessel

China is building long-range cruise missiles launched from ship containers
April 2019 News Navy Naval Maritime Defense IndustryPOSTED ON MONDAY, 08 APRIL 2019 16:23

Actually, the new missile variant is in its flight testing phase. This missile would be a land-attack variant of an advanced anti-ship missile that would be deployed in launchers appearing to be standard international shipping containers from the outside. Such containers are being used all around the world for moving millions of tons of goods, and are often placed on the deck of large freighters.

The YJ-18C is China's version of the Club-K cruise missile built by Russia that also uses a launcher disguised as a shipping container. Israel also is working on a container-launched missile called the Lora. Rick Fisher, a China military affairs expert, said he is not surprised China is copying the Russian Club container-launched missile. "It fits with China's penchant for seeking asymmetric advantages against its enemies," he said.

Fisher said China also showcased precision-guided multiple-launch rockets concealed in a shipping container-launcher, similar to the Club-K concept during a military show in 2016.

The weapon system also could be sold to Iran or North Korea as China has done in the past with other weapons systems, including long-range missile launchers that were transferred to North Korea.

Such container missiles could also be deployed on commercial ships that can sail off U.S. coasts or within American ports prior to a conflict. It would then be an incredible advantage for China in an open armed conflict against the U.S. armed forces. Retired Navy Capt. Jim Fanell, a former Pacific Fleet intelligence chief, said a containerized YJ-18 anti-ship cruise missile would add a significant threat to the Navy given the volume of Chinese container ships that enter U.S. ports on the west and east coast, well within the range of the vast majority of the U.S. fleet.

There are currently 36 military bases in Germany. Now at the end of WW2 it might have been necessary but today is it still necessary to have that many bases. What is the threat? Russian Communism has fallen. Germany and American relations are good. Japan has 23 bases. Is Japan still a threat. I mean militarily and not economically. At some point you got to let it go as there is no need for that many bases. They have cut military bases in the US which directly effects the local communities that the bases are located.

Most U.S. bases in German and Japan support more distant U.S. operations. German bases support U.S. operations in the Middle East for example and Japanese bases throughout the Western Pacific and Asia.

For example when a young soldier who grew up down the road from me lost both legs in a grenade attack in Baghdad he was med evaced to the big U.S. medical center in Germany where the first of his life saving surgeries was conducted and he began the first of his rehab.

Now he's back home riding his motorcycle doing just fine. His experience with his artificial limbs was detailed in a story in Popular Mechanics.
Yet another reason to close all the bases and bring the troops home...Afghanistan is an unwinnable quagmire, since nobody is willing to do what would be required.

Baghdad is in Iraq. Not Afghanistan.

In regards to Afghanistan the last time the U.S. chose to "leave it alone" we ended up with the 9-11 attack.

Again the Chinese destroy all military and civilian targets needed by missiles that fly thru the air

All of them? Any retaliation likely?
Pretty much yea. What is left is disorganized individuals with no command structure.

Why haven't they done it already?
You make it sound like it'd be over in a day..........
The toughest part for China is the risk of a UN embargo, so they would have Taiwan but could not ship the wares, so it's not really worth it to them

In regards to Afghanistan the last time the U.S. chose to "leave it alone" we ended up with the 9-11 attack.

The Iraq war was stupidity personified.

Afghanistan should have been sterilized in 2001. Treat it like Carthage.

Americans don't have the testicles for that kind of warfare. If the modern media had been around in World War Two we might still be fighting the Germans and Japanese.

ou were better with your first sentence,
Given a Democrat one-party state its not speculation about what will happen after libs gut the military

China will rule the world including the US
Gee, I been around a long time, including at least 6 to 9 democrat administrations (depending on how you count) and they have never gutted it before. Sounds like hysterical nonsense to me.
Apparently throwing a half trillion dollars per year at the Military is "gutting" it.

ou were better with your first sentence,
Given a Democrat one-party state its not speculation about what will happen after libs gut the military

China will rule the world including the US
Gee, I been around a long time, including at least 6 to 9 democrat administrations (depending on how you count) and they have never gutted it before. Sounds like hysterical nonsense to me.
Apparently throwing a half trillion dollars per year at the Military is "gutting" it.

Doesn't that depend on what your defense commitments are? I can assure you that no other nation on Earth has remotely as many commitments as the United States.

It seems impossible, but under obama the military was squeezed and lacked spare parts, and often cut back training from the budget

So you can defeat the largest navy in the world with 2 anti ship missiles?
You are mistaken

china has the largest navy now
Yet we have the largest navy ships...
ballistic_missile_submarines_size_chart_by_dystatic_studio-d4yj8kq.png
Our aircraft carriers are the largest capital ships in the world. The USS Enterprise I being the largest of the large...

The new Enterprise is not even built yet! It will be CVN-80. The largest is currently the USS Gerald Ford (CVN-78). CVN-79 is the USS John F. Kennedy. CVN-81 is the USS Dorie Miller. All of these are Ford-class CVNs yet to be built, with the exception of CVN-78.
I am proud of our airctsft carriers and they are awesome weapons if we can protect them from the newer anti ship missiles being fielded by the enemy

I‘m not saying we cant do it, but its not a sure thing either

We can military spending easily by closing the vast majority of our military bases around the world, stop fighting other people's wars, and bring our solider back to our own borders.
ummm Trump is doing a lot of that already, so why do you hate him so much?
Trump has done nothing but talk and never has done anything that you claim.

Trump had done peace around the world my friend said in car in the afternoon ...

Democrats don't have a problem cutting military spending because they hate what our country stands for so why fight for it? Democrats have no principals or sense of history. They're in it for themselves.

The Chinese have little or no amphibious capability with which to mount an invasion of Taiwan.
They are building it as we speak

china thinks long-term and they are dedicated to having the capacity to invade taiwan if need be

At the rate they are going, it will takes decades to build up to what we have, much less invade Taiwan.

The Chinese have little or no amphibious capability with which to mount an invasion of Taiwan.
They are building it as we speak

china thinks long-term and they are dedicated to having the capacity to invade taiwan if need be

At the rate they are going, it will takes decades to build up to what we have, much less invade Taiwan.

They didn't have to build up too long in the book "China Attacks". A great book with a very realistic scenario for a mainland Chinese attack and invasion of Taiwan and for the U.S. response (or lack of response near the end).

Of course, the Chinese do use four nuclear weapons against Taiwan. Two EMP weapons during their initial attack and two enhanced radiation weapons (neutron bombs) against Taiwanese troop concentrations later in the war when Taiwan becomes a tougher nut to crack than they anticipated.

Last edited:
The chinese will soon have more that enough navel assets to invade taiwan

but they are hoping to use their power to intimidate taiwan and the US into giving in to their demands

xPentagon says China has ‘largest navy in the world’ after buildup

The Defense Department says in a new report to Congress that China now has the world’s largest navy, at least in number of battle-ready ships.

“[China] has the largest navy in the world, with an overall battle force of approximately 350 ships and submarines including over 130 major surface combatants,” the report says. “In comparison, the U.S. Navy’s battle force is approximately 293 ships as of early 2020.”

The comparison isn’t necessarily qualitative. For example, the US Navy has 11 massive nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and bases across the world. China has just two non-nuclear aircraft carriers, and lacks a significant overseas presence.

Forum List

Back