In honor of Black History month

O.J._Simpson_1990_%C2%B7_DN-ST-91-03444_crop.JPEG

John Brown
May 9, 1800 - Dec. 2, 1859

John+Brown+1.jpg

In the summer of 1859, with an armed band of 16 whites and 5 blacks, Brown set up a headquarters in a rented farmhouse in Maryland, across the Potomac from Harpers Ferry, the site of a federal armoury. On the night of October 16, he quickly took the armoury and rounded up some 60 leading men of the area as hostages. Brown took this desperate action in the hope that escaped slaves would join his rebellion, forming an “army of emancipation” with which to liberate their fellow slaves. Throughout the next day and night he and his men held out against the local militia, but on the following morning he surrendered to a small force of U.S. Marines who had broken in and overpowered him. Brown himself was wounded, and 10 of his followers (including two sons) were killed. He was tried for murder, slave insurrection, and treason against the state and was convicted and hanged.

I realize that he himself was not an African-American, but his contribution to the Abolitionist movement perhaps has erned him an honorable mention?

Last edited:
Being from West Virginia, I learned a lot about John Brown in history class. I agree, he deserves as much honor during black history as anybody else. Good pick.

...never mind. This was supposed to be serious, guess it wasn't taken that way.

I really was being serious,Templar. I put a lot of thought into this and I am really sorry that you did not agree with my choice - It had nothing to do with "making a statement about race."

I agree that this was not being taken serious and I wish it was.

Let's stop with the tread hijacking, guys.

Last edited:
...never mind. This was supposed to be serious, guess it wasn't taken that way.

Sorry. You should know by now that I don't take much seriously. :redface:

I do plan on changing my avatar for Black History Month, but I'm still not sure who or what I will choose. It's not Febuary yet.

Sadly, so many influential African Americans are what I consider a negative influence. My first impulse was Mike Tyson, but if I were to choose a positive influence, it would be

bill-cosby.jpg

Or maybe:

LittleRichard.jpg

Torn between Jimi Hendrix and Thurgood Marshall myself but I am going with the latter because his nickname was the "Great Dissenter".

ThurgoodMarshall.jpg

Thurgood Marshall, the great-grandson of slaves, was the first African American justice appointed to the United States Supreme Court, where he served from 1967 to 1991. Earlier in his career, Marshall was a pioneering civil rights attorney who successfully argued the landmark case Brown v Board of Education (a major step in the fight to desegregate American schools). The 1954 Brown decision is considered one of the most significant civil rights victories of the 20th century.

In high school, Marshall earned decent grades, but had a tendency to stir up trouble in the classroom. As punishment for some of his misdeeds, he was ordered to memorize portions of the U.S. Constitution. By the time he left high school, Thurgood Marshall knew the entire Constitution by memory.

Marshall always knew that he wanted to go to college, but realized his parents couldn't afford to pay his tuition. Thus, he began saving money while he was in high school, working as a delivery boy and a waiter.

Marshall embraced college life at Lincoln. He became the star of the debate club and joined a fraternity; he was also very popular with young women. Yet Marshall found himself ever aware of the need to earn money. He worked two jobs and supplemented that income with his earnings from winning card games on campus.

Armed with the defiant attitude that had gotten him into trouble in high school, Marshall was suspended twice for fraternity pranks.

Malcolm_X_NYWTS_4.jpg

"Democrats have been in Washington, D.C. only because of the Negro vote. They’ve been down there for years and all the legislation they wanted to bring up they brought up and got it out of the way, and now they bring up you. You put them first and they put you last, cause you are a chump (huge applause). A political chump."

Read more at Blacks as 'Chumps': Words from Malcolm X | Political Outcast

In honor of Black history month next month, I'm asking each member of USMB wear the portrait of an influential African American figure from America's history as an avatar for the 28 days of February. I've chosen Frederick Douglass as mine.

frederick-douglass-266x300.jpg

Great idea......

Forum List

Back