'In Danger of Being Free': Urban Homesteading

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Urban Homesteaders Produce 6,000 Pounds of Food on 1/10 Acre | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information

“In danger of being free.” That’s how Jules Dervaes sums up his journey from a small backyard garden to a super-productive microfarm. It’s a low input, highly efficient urban homestead right next to the metropolis of Los Angeles.

Jules, his son Justin, and his two daughters Anais and Jordanne live in a 1,500 sq. ft. craftsman bungalow on 1/5 of an acre. Here they have a 1/10 acre garden and grow 350 different vegetables, herbs, fruits, and berries. The sustainable plot is complete with chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats, and honey bees. For two years in a row they were able to produce 6,000 pounds of food.

Their mission is to live sustainably and simply, and they are doing it. 90% of their vegetarian diet comes from the homestead and 2/3 of their energy comes from solar panels. They make biodiesel fuel with used vegetable oil. Their commitment to reducing consumption extends all the way to a hand-cranked radio. They are highly motivated and have a lot to say about the way things are in the world.

Cool, but the Monsonto-bought political whores wont let this last very long, if much longer at all now that people are hearing about it.

Natural Cures Not Medicine: 1 Man Produced 6,000 Pounds of Food on 1/10 Acre. Here's How

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmTJkZy0rM]6,000 lbs of food on 1/10th acre - Urban Farm - Urban Homestead - Growing Your Own Food - YouTube[/ame]

That's some pretty efficient farming all right.

6000 lbs from 5000 sq feet? Raised beds, I note.

Highly efficient.

Well done sir, well done.

That's some pretty efficient farming all right.

6000 lbs from 5000 sq feet? Raised beds, I note.

Highly efficient.

Well done sir, well done.

I think he was using some hydroponic methods also and recycling just about everything.

Forum List

Back