Imagine That the US Said These Types of Things

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Annie, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050118/1/3pxh8.html

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    yeah, they believe the WTO only applies when they want it to.... for example, whenever it shuts down US progress.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    ya know - we could shoot that sombitch down pretty quickly. :)

fwiw, similar claims were made when the Titantic was launced ;)

:D

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -
    I despise air travel. It is minimalist and uncivilized. All it does is get you there; maybe. I have often traveled to Asia and Europe in 747 cattle-cars. Unless you can afford the unbelievable expense of first-class, air travel is a nightmare. Sleep is impossible if you are a tall person. The 380 offers no speed advantage over the 747. Trans-oceanic flight feels like it takes a life-time. Concentrating 800 passengers on one plane is barbaric! The inevitable accidents will be horrific. The dehumanized, anti-ergonomic characteristics of air travel will increase. Who would have thought that was possible? Deplaning time will increase. Supposedly, the 380 reduces airline expense 20 percent per passenger seat. Monkeys flying over the frozen wastes of hell report that the savings will be passed along to the customer.
    -

5. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    while I totally share your sentiment about transatlantic/pacific airtravel
    I assume prices might only come down for the most travelled
    routes. Like Chicago-Frankfurt etc. The cattle express will not be fun.

It will be a worse mess then now. Since you are not allowed to stand next to the toilets it has gotten worse.

Lately the addition of gadgets have made 8+ hours flights more bearable. Sleepwise you ll always loose thanks to the jetlag. I am not fat and still
    feel boxed in. First class, I ll try to convince my company that
    I am worth it, but they still dont feel like paying 6x the price.
    And can the food get any worth then it already is. Sure they charge
    you extra next time.

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    LOL - wonder if they're going to use them for stinger missile target practice?

Here is the next terrorist project.

And anybody ever wonder what the hell you need with a bed on an airplane? Is this crowd killer THAT slow?

7. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Ain't that the truth. I refuse to get on an airline unless I ABSOLUTELY have no choice. And that's not because I worry about terrorism.

Deregulation has been a huge disaster. Airline maintenance has suffered as witnessed by the spate of mechanical failures during the 1990s. This is because of cost cutting measures employed by the airlines. All their equipment is being run right up to the ragged edge. Routine repairs for deficiencies which do not involve airworthiness are deferred or ignored. Seats are too small, amenities are few or non-existent.

The competition to cut the cost of tickets has backfired not only on the airlines, but on the customer as well. Prior to deregulation, there were fewer seats on any given airplane. After deregulation, the airlines reconfigured their seating to cram more seats into the same fuselage spaces. So now the airlines are stuck in a vicious descending spiral. They cut prices to compete with each other and attract ever more passengers. To cut prices, they cut operating costs. That means smaller seats, jammed closer together. It means no meals, no drinks, fewer cabin crew, even no pillows or blankets for passenger use. It means that service is often available only from "hub" airports such as Chicago or Atlanta. What's next? You'll probably have to pay five bucks for an airsickness bag if you need to use one - otherwise plan on barfing in your purse or briefcase.

So in their rush to attract more passengers, the airlines have driven away the very people who used to travel a great deal by air and in their place they have won over the folks who used to ride the bus.

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well, having flown between Asia and the US probably at least 150 times, I can tell ya, the bed is pretty nice! I buy business class and use my miles to upgrade to 1st class and it does make the trip easier. Heck, some airlines even give ya jammies!