I'm suffering from depression but I can't go back on anti-depressants

try supplements

5-HTPPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (390)
ACETYL-L-CARNITINEPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (75)
ANISEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (6)
AYAHUASCAInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (2)
BERGAMOTInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (19)
BLUEBERRYInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (3)
CAFFEINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (46)
CALCIUMInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (41)
CHLORELLAInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (90)
CITICOLINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (34)
COD LIVER OILInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (66)
COFFEEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (14)
CREATINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (41)
DHEAPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (187)
DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA)Possibly IneffectiveRead Reviews (17)
DODDERInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (16)
EICOSAPENTAENOIC ACID (EPA)Possibly EffectiveRead Reviews (7)
FISH OILInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (203)
FOLIC ACIDPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (99)
GALACTO-OLIGOSACCHARIDES (GOS)Insufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (0)
GINKGOInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (71)
GREEN TEAInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (61)
HUPERZINE AInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (30)
INOSITOLPossibly IneffectiveRead Reviews (61)
LACTOBACILLUSInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (94)
LAVENDERPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (28)
LEMON BALMInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (49)
LITHIUMLikely EffectiveRead Reviews (116)
L-TRYPTOPHANInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (78)
MAGNESIUMInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (289)
MELATONINLikely IneffectiveRead Reviews (488)
PHENETHYLAMINE (PEA)Insufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (6)
PHENYLALANINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (32)
PHOSPHATIDYLSERINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (85)
PYRIDOXINE (VITAMIN B6)Insufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (37)
RHODIOLAInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (98)
SAFFRONPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (33)
SAMeLikely EffectiveRead Reviews (263)
SERINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (0)
ST. JOHN'S WORTLikely EffectiveRead Reviews (152)
SWEET ORANGEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (2)
THEANINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (160)
THIAMINE (VITAMIN B1)Insufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (22)
TIANEPTINEPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (0)
TURMERICPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (404)
TYROSINEPossibly IneffectiveRead Reviews (90)
VALERIANInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (148)
VITAMIN B12Insufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (131)
VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID)Insufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (57)
VITAMIN DInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (338)
VITAMIN KInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (20)
WINEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (12)
YOHIMBEInsufficient EvidenceRead Reviews (134)
ZINCPossibly EffectiveRead Reviews (61

I have recurring major depression. but last 3 years have been real good except last couple weeks, been a bit down having short bouts of bad depression but they don't last long.

I deal with depression by not caring that way I notice the depression less. It's all a matter of mind over matter because it just doesn't matter if you don't mind..

No dog. No no no. They need attention too. Leaving is tied up in the back yard while at work so it can get some "fresh air" and poop? NO. Only get a dog IF you can take it to work with you (Emotional support animal) or after you find a mate for yourself so someone is there. A cat would be better. Or even a nice fish tank! Fish recognize you and you can train them to eat from your fingers dipped inside their tank. And you are not alone. If fish are not your thing....a cat. One that doesn't mind a litter box or in/out the cracked window. Dog is BAD idea. Normally I would say save a dog...but....not with you gone all day.

Also...have your doc check your thyroid levels. It has ALOT to do with mood. I speak from experience.

And if you are feeling really bad (like you said you were last night)...come here to usmb. Someone is ALWAYS around. THEN go to your doc asap. Thyroid check, blook work done, and consider a cat. Or some parakeets. They don't mind being alone either if you get TWO. At night if you are tired or are done chatting them up, throw a towel over their cage. They will go to sleep. :)
Just don't forget to take it off when you go to work the next morning. And place them by a window so they can see out.:)

I'm sorry Rook. It's not easy and so understood. I have always had it too. They tried half dozen antis, none worked and much worse screwed my head up bad. Now I am a mess time to time but what helps some? Make yourself do something, anything. Bad as you don't want to. I don't care how small, clean off the knicknak shelf, make you bed when you wake (helps) Drink some chamomile tea at bedtime.

It's the little things man. It's not about pharm drugs and doctors and shrinks,,,, it's about you, you fix you, yourself no one else can, no drug can really do it although some get some reliefe. Osteopaths believe we have everything in our body to heal it, just need to access it. That's right Many of us suffer from it and we can fight it. YOU fight it. Remember "everything is a choice" CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY

Rook, ask your Dr. for a name of a good psychiatrist. Don't get the antidepresents from a regular Dr. they cannot give you exactly what you need and the correct dose. And as I said before, the right drug and the right dose will allow you to be yourself again. You won't be drugged up.

And as for a dog, get two that get along so they can play while you are away. Labs are truly great. loving animals. Easy to train and sleeps in you bed with you at night.

As for the Dr. see your family dr. right away and get the name of a good psychiatrist. It takes 2-4 weeks to take effect. Then you'll be able to consider getting the puppy you'll love. And, by the way, take your dog to a dog park and talk to others who are there with their dogs!

I'm sorry Rook. It's not easy and so understood. I have always had it too. They tried half dozen antis, none worked and much worse screwed my head up bad. Now I am a mess time to time but what helps some? Make yourself do something, anything. Bad as you don't want to. I don't care how small, clean off the knicknak shelf, make you bed when you wake (helps) Drink some chamomile tea at bedtime.

It's the little things man. It's not about pharm drugs and doctors and shrinks,,,, it's about you, you fix you, yourself no one else can, no drug can really do it although some get some reliefe. Osteopaths believe we have everything in our body to heal it, just need to access it. That's right Many of us suffer from it and we can fight it. YOU fight it. Remember "everything is a choice" CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY
Shawnee, some people do need antidepressants and nothing else will help. There can be a chemical imbalance and "choosing to be happy" is impossible. Others may be taking a pill for a short time when something episodal, a family member death or something that will just take time, another need it because there is a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Shawnee, some people do need antidepressants and nothing else will help. There can be a chemical imbalance and "choosing to be happy" is impossible. Others may be taking a pill for a short time when something episodal, a family member death or something that will just take time, another need it because there is a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Yes Jackson I understand that, some do. They never helped me. I would get strange shit going on, feel like my head was inside a box, just always messed with me and they have tried many. I am sure they will work with certain chem imbalances but I don't think most depression stems from an imbalance but life as we are choosing to live it.

Pills don't fix everything, there is not a pill for everything yet the pharma co's keep pushing anything they got.

To Rook, excercise will release endorphins, that DOES help. If you can bring yourself to exercise.

Also as some have said, pot, booze. Nahhhhh Doesn't help depression. May cut anxiety a bit some times is all.

Jackson is right on with the Physc. Regular MD's easter egg hunt and prescribe you what ever the salesman brought in just before you came in and promises the doc a kickback for prescribing.

I lied to my psychiatrist. When he asked me if I'd suffered depression I said no. I did not want to stir up the shit that would be stirred up if I said yes. I do not want him to prescribe me an anti-depressant. Things are not perfect, but I'm not willing to take the risk of things getting worse.

Anti-depressants ruined my life, cost me a good job, cost me my marriage. My life only improved when I stopped taking them.

But now, I'm suffering depression.

It's a Catch-22 situation.
Focus on helping others and finding purpose

I lied to my psychiatrist. When he asked me if I'd suffered depression I said no. I did not want to stir up the shit that would be stirred up if I said yes. I do not want him to prescribe me an anti-depressant. Things are not perfect, but I'm not willing to take the risk of things getting worse.
What was that all about??? You went to a psychiatrist and lied to him. So why bother going to him? Listen to me one more time. There are dozens antidepressants that affect you in different ways with possible side effects. If you were honest with him then he would ask exactly how did you feel and you have to tell him EVERYTHING.
i HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT ONES AND TRIED TO GO WITHOUT ANY AT ALL. THAT ENDED IN A CALL TO Suicide Prevention. They asked my why I was depressed and I said I didn knoW and they said, "Then I can't help! " and hung up.
I went to see a therapist and after months of therapy, he got up, locked the door and said I wasn't going anywhere until I called and made an appointment with a psychiatrist. He saved my life. Now, save yours.
Do as I say. 1. See your family doctor and ask for a name of a very good psychiatrist.
2. Make the appointment as soon as you can. Tell them you need help.
3. Tell everything you felt with each drug. Write it all out and side effects you had.
4. He (She) will start you on a drug at a low dose and increase each week. It takes 3-6 weeks to become effective.
5. At that time, tell what you are feeling, moods, crying spells, anxiety, dizziness. dry mouth, etc.
At that time the doctor may add a different drug to add to your basic one and that is called a cocktail. You keep coming back weekly until you are in n a good place. Remember what you feel like now and think back when you are doing well.

I have been told having depression is like having a dark vail over your soul. Once the magic time comes where you are better, it's marvelous.

My example was I was going through the stages with a new doctor when I was having my house built. Once I moved in, everything was okay I guess until one morning I woke up and went to the kitchen. Suddenly I stopped and looked around and was amazed the beautiful house I built. I stood there for the longest time just turning around and gazing sat the wall of windows, new drapes, such a large kitchen , bar and morning room. Then I just sat and remembered the "vail over the soul." I laughed and only then did I know really what that meant.

Please try what I say. It's better than having Suicide Prevention hang up on you.

If your life or life style is causing the depression, it may take more change than an anti-depressant.

If your depression is severe you may need professional help. Even though that doesn't always work either.

Maybe Oddball is onto something about hypnosis

Care to talk about what you think is causing the depression?

Sometimes, there is no "cause", per se. It's just THERE. Offhand, I would bet I have been depressed since about middle school. (I have no memories whatsoever of ever actually feeling happy.)

If your life or life style is causing the depression, it may take more change than an anti-depressant.

If your depression is severe you may need professional help. Even though that doesn't always work either.

Sometimes, there is no "cause", per se. It's just THERE. Offhand, I would bet I have been depressed since about middle school. (I have no memories whatsoever of ever actually feeling happy.)
Do something about it...see a psychiatrist. Soon.

Just be aware.....

In 30 states now, if you admit to depression.......Red Flag Laws allow them to come to your home and take em all...no warrant needed, no due process

I suspect there is going to be considerable abuse of this soon by authorities.

Ya it usually starts early and continues through life. I was the same. I handled it until I finally broke down and it wasn't pretty seek help now before you do something you can not take back.

Forum List

Back