I'm craving......

I think butternut squash is the best of the squashes. Butternut squash soup is really good too. I never really liked sweet potatoes. Too bitter or something.

I don't know, maybe the potatoes were undercooked or overcooked? Usually they are quite sweet. :dunno:

Yes, butternut squash is my favorite kind of squash too. I guess I have a thing for the orange veggies. Lol. :D

I'm not crazy about it either. I feel the same about asparagus. Everyone keeps telling me how good they taste. ;)

Have you had asparagus in its uncooked state? I know a few people who hate it cooked, but like it raw. I like it any old way. :)

That never occurred to me. :D I do like raw peas better than cooked ones . . . green beans too.

I love those peas they have on salad bars. Not exactly sure what they do to them - they're obviously not raw - but they're so sweet and delicious like that. I always grab a little bowl and fill it with just peas. Screw the salad.

I think butternut squash is the best of the squashes. Butternut squash soup is really good too. I never really liked sweet potatoes. Too bitter or something.

I don't know, maybe the potatoes were undercooked or overcooked? Usually they are quite sweet. :dunno:

Yes, butternut squash is my favorite kind of squash too. I guess I have a thing for the orange veggies. Lol. :D

VERY picky about my squashes. My grandma used to insist on making that mushy yellow one that always looks like a sick baby's diaper, and then would make us sit at the table, staring at it, for hours if we refused to clean our plates. There are a number of things I simply cannot eat without gagging now because of that antiquated and barbaric parenting practice.

Never figured out why she insisted on making that crap. Even SHE didn't like it. Yeah, okay, all of our vegetables growing up came out of her garden, but why she didn't simply plant zucchini instead of that nasty crap is beyond me. We all actually LIKED zucchini, and would happily have eaten platefuls.

Speaking of zucchini, does anyone else LOVE zucchini bread?

VERY picky about my squashes. My grandma used to insist on making that mushy yellow one that always looks like a sick baby's diaper, and then would make us sit at the table, staring at it, for hours if we refused to clean our plates. There are a number of things I simply cannot eat without gagging now because of that antiquated and barbaric parenting practice.

Never figured out why she insisted on making that crap. Even SHE didn't like it. Yeah, okay, all of our vegetables growing up came out of her garden, but why she didn't simply plant zucchini instead of that nasty crap is beyond me. We all actually LIKED zucchini, and would happily have eaten platefuls.

I love it and so do the children.

I have never forced kids to eat but I will refuse to make special meals to accommodate a kid who doesn't like his food. They can fill up on whatever else is at the table....bread, butter, milk.

I don't like zucchini but my mom used to put some veggies in the mashed potatoes. Like carrots. Not a lot but just to make the carrots more palatable. I never did it that way either, I just encouraged my daughter to try different things.

There are still things she doesn't like, fish, mustard, not much you can do once they're grown.

I love it and so do the children.

I have to buy it and hide it so my kids don't eat it all before I get any. Somehow, buying them their own doesn't help. ;)

A friend of mine gave us a half dozen or so zucchini this summer....I made zucchini bread all fall with them, yum. Super duper yummy.

I have never forced kids to eat but I will refuse to make special meals to accommodate a kid who doesn't like his food. They can fill up on whatever else is at the table....bread, butter, milk.

Exactly. My menu doesn't include foods that family members actively dislike, but having made that adjustment, you will eat what everyone else is served - unless you're sick - or you can go hungry. There's no one in my family who can't stand to miss a meal without wasting away.

I don't like zucchini but my mom used to put some veggies in the mashed potatoes. Like carrots. Not a lot but just to make the carrots more palatable. I never did it that way either, I just encouraged my daughter to try different things.

There are still things she doesn't like, fish, mustard, not much you can do once they're grown.

Hey, my daughter is an adult, and she can eat any damned thing she wants, since she gets to cook it for herself.

As long as I don't include something that someone absolutely despises - such as celery; my estranged husband will not eat celery, or even be in the room while someone else eats it - my family is pretty tolerant of me adding veggies to casseroles and such. In some cases, they consider it a big improvement.

The rule in my house is, if it's new, you have to at least try it. If you hate it, it won't show up on your plate again. But it at least gets an audition.

The yellow squash is probably summer squash. My mom loves it. I'm not crazy about. Butternut squash is very good though. :)

I was lucky with my son. He is not picky at all. The only thing he really doesn't like is mushrooms and some veggies. I would just put a plate of food in front of him and not make a big fuss out of it, and he would just eat it. When I was small, I was very picky, and my son didn't take after me in that way thankfully. :D

I can't recall ever having zucchini bread. I'll have to give it a try. Sounds good. :)

I can't recall ever having zucchini bread. I'll have to give it a try. Sounds good. :)
It's a sweet bread on the order of carrot cake, which I really like. The bread part covers up the taste of the zucchini which isn't even bad. Try it in a salad sliced up like a cucumber.

I was lucky with my son. He is not picky at all. The only thing he really doesn't like is mushrooms and some veggies. I would just put a plate of food in front of him and not make a big fuss out of it, and he would just eat it. When I was small, I was very picky, and my son didn't take after me in that way thankfully. :D

Quinn's not a big fan of salads, although he'll go to town on a veggie tray (He also isn't big on celery, like his father). Nicky's not crazy about mushrooms, although he'll tolerate them if they're in spaghetti sauce or on a pizza, because he knows I love them. Of my whole family, Nicky is the one most attuned to sacrificing to please Mom. Go figure.

It is. It's similar in texture to banana-nut bread or carrot cake. I'm allergic to both bananas and walnuts, so it's a nice alternative.

It's a sweet bread on the order of carrot cake, which I really like. The bread part covers up the taste of the zucchini which isn't even bad. Try it in a salad sliced up like a cucumber.

Saute with cheese sauce. Makes a great casserole, too.

Do you know when they're in season? Now that we're talking about it, I'd like to try it again too.

Do you know when they're in season? Now that we're talking about it, I'd like to try it again too.

Zucchini is almost always extremely cheap. Like a lot of squashes, it's hugely available in the fall, but it's very easy to grow - reference any story of home gardeners desperately trying to give boxes and bags of it to everyone they know :) - so you can find it in the produce aisle at a reasonable price all year.

Zucchini is almost always extremely cheap. Like a lot of squashes, it's hugely available in the fall, but it's very easy to grow - reference any story of home gardeners desperately trying to give boxes and bags of it to everyone they know :) - so you can find it in the produce aisle at a reasonable price all year.
Thanks, I like the casserole idea better. I found a recipe at Food Network.

Forum List

Back