"I’m a veteran who was suicidal. It’s a good thing I didn’t have access to a gun."

Sorry man...but that's a dumb article.

He says he stood at the edge of a high bridge...

"...so after months of suicidal thoughts, I found myself on a bridge. I walked to the edge and closed my eyes. I readied myself, waiting for a final feeling that would push me forward. But then I thought about my son and felt him pulling me back from the edge, saying, Don’t do this, Dad. This is not how it ends.

That was all I needed to go home and never come back."

Could have just as easily read...

...so I put the barrel in my mouth,
and closed my eyes. I readied myself, waiting for a final feeling that would have allowed me to pull the trigger. But then I thought about my son and felt him pulling the gun away, saying, Don’t do this, Dad. This is not how it ends.

That was all I needed to put the gun away and never pick it up for self harm again.

Whether it's real or faked or just a political tool, PTSD is acknowledged to be a mental illness. If Veterans claim to be mentally impaired and have medical evidence to certify that they are so seriously afflicted with PTSD that they qualify for a disability pension, they should not be allowed to purchase a firearm. Common sense?
It's not just veterans. It can affect anyone. I have been told by my doc that I have ptsd due to the paradise fire...and many that have moved to this town from there, suffer it as well.

A disorder in which a person has difficulty recovering after experiencing or witnessing a terrifying event.
The condition may last months or years, with triggers that can bring back memories of the trauma accompanied by intense emotional and physical reactions.
Symptoms may include nightmares or unwanted memories of the trauma, avoidance of situations that bring back memories of the trauma, heightened reactions, anxiety, or depressed mood.
Treatment includes different types of trauma-focused psychotherapy as well as medications to manage symptoms.

Whether it's real or faked or just a political tool, PTSD is acknowledged to be a mental illness. If Veterans claim to be mentally impaired and have medical evidence to certify that they are so seriously afflicted with PTSD that they qualify for a disability pension, they should not be allowed to purchase a firearm. Common sense?
No. Fascism.
There are thousands of laws on the books that prevent firearms from being sold to mentally impaired people. Are they all fascist?

Forum List

Back