Illegal Immigrants and US Economy

Eliasj11

Rookie
Apr 19, 2012
Fresno
Hello there everyone I am a student at Fresno State and currently doing a project about illegal immigrants and their effects on the US economy. According to the research that I have done within these past couple of weeks, I have found many articles supporting the illegal immigrants. Throughout the articles, many of them state that illegal immigrants help our economy because of the cheap labor that they provide and how many business and companies benefit from this and many other reasons. I am still in the process of doing research for this particular subject and just wanted to see what people outside of my community have to say about this topic. I would appreciate it if you took time to reply to this and feel free to say whatever you feel like saying. Thank you.

Good news! Fewer illegals crossin' the border - and some are even goin' back...
:clap2:
Pew study: Mexican immigration to U.S. down sharply since 2005
4/24/2012 - Mexican immigration to the U.S. has slowed since 2005, and the number of illegal immigrants from Mexico living in the country has dropped significantly after more than four decades of growth, a study released Monday by the Pew Research Center shows.
Roughly 6.1 million undocumented Mexican immigrants were living in the U.S. last year, down from a peak of nearly 7 million in 2007, the Pew study found. The report also says about 1.4 million Mexicans moved from the United States to Mexico between 2005 and 2010. Jeffrey Passel, a senior demographer at Pew who co-wrote the analysis, said government data now show a clear shift among Mexican workers already in the U.S. who are returning home. He told The Associated Press that data are a sign that many immigrants are giving up on life in the U.S., feeling squeezed by increasing enforcement and limited economic opportunities that they don't see improving anytime soon.

It's not just that there are fewer jobs, more crackdowns on illegal immigrants, more deportations and more bureaucratic hassles with work visas. The Pew study also points to the weak U.S. economy, violence along the Mexican border and a long-term decline in the birth rate in Mexico. "More and more immigrants have fewer and fewer opportunities to legally come to this country," said Claudia McClintock, executive director of Child & Migrant Services in Palisade. "I am hearing anecdotally that more workers will not be returning this year. Jennifer Lee, an attorney with Colorado Legal Services, said she sees the general economic slump slowing immigration. "And it's only my own speculation, but I wonder if the anti-immigrant climate is accounting for some of this," Lee said.

The Pew report called the slump in Mexican immigration a "notable reversal of historic pattern." Migration from Mexico that began after 1970 brought the largest number of immigrants from a single country to the United States in American history. During that period, about a third of all immigrants were born in Mexico. The 12 million Mexican-born people who now live in the United States — about one in 10 of all Mexicans in the world — are more than all the immigrants in any other country, the Pew report said. The report also pointed out that about 58 percent of an estimated 11.2 million illegal immigrants in the United States are from Mexico.

Many of the immigrants who are returning to Mexico have left on their own, but the report showed there was also a significant increase in the number of Mexicans deported by immigration authorities in the United States. Mexican census data cited in the report showed that going hand-in-hand with that, there has been a large increase in the number of U.S.-citizen children now living in Mexico — the likely result of deportations of their parents. In 2000, there were about 240,000 U.S. citizen children living in Mexico. In 2010, that number more than doubled to 500,000. The Pew study was released amid heightened attention on immigration. The Hispanic population, which makes up roughly 16 percent of the U.S. population, is expected to play a key role in the upcoming election, particularly in several swing states, including Colorado.

Read more: Pew study: Mexican immigration to U.S. down sharply since 2005 - The Denver Post

Last edited:
LA County Cost for Illegal Aliens is $1.6 Billion Per Year!

This is JUST one County!

““With the $550 million for public safety and nearly $500 million for healthcare, the total cost for illegal immigrants to County taxpayers exceeds $1.6 billion dollars a year,” said Antonovich. “These costs do not include the hundreds of millions of dollars for education.”

WELFARE COSTS FOR CHILDREN OF ILLEGAL ALIENS EXCEEDS $646 MILLION

LOS ANGELES COUNTY – Year-end closing 2011 figures from the Department of Public Social Services reported that over $646 million in welfare and food stamp benefits were issued to illegal alien parents for their native-born children, announced Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich."

Antonovich: LA County Cost for Illegal Aliens is $1.6 Billion Per Year

Reason Foundation - Illegal Immigrants are Paying a Lot More Taxes Than You Think
Illegal immigrants contribute a net 80,000 dollars in taxes over their lifetime. Meaning the 12 million illegal immigrants currently in America will contribute 1 trillion more dollars in taxes than they receive in benefits. Illegal immigrants still pay all state/local taxes (including sales and property) while paying some income taxes (some are paid under the table). Since illegal immigrants enter the country during their working years they do not cost the government in education costs. Also sine illegal immigrants are legally unable to get SS, Medicare or other social benefits they do not cost the government any money in those matters.

Forum List

Back