'Ill' worker fired over Facebook

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
A Swiss woman has lost her job after her employers spotted she was using the Facebook website when she had claimed to be too ill to use a computer.

The unnamed woman was suffering a migraine and had told her employer, Nationale Suisse, she needed to lie in a darkened room.

The company said its discovery that she was also using Facebook destroyed its trust in her and prompted her sacking.

But the woman told a Swiss newspaper she was innocent.

Read full article here.
BBC NEWS | Technology | 'Ill' worker fired over Facebook

If you read the full article, there is an implication that her employer was spying on her. Is it right? Could a harmless entry on Facebook warrant this woman getting fired? Beware of friends on Facebook...

But the company says it followed a simple logic: that those who are well enough to use Facebook with a migraine are well enough to work with a migraine.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If the company did in fact create the fictitious "friend" to monitor her online activity then I would say that is preffy effed up an unethical. I really don't believe the, "colleague had inadvertently noticed her using Facebook" story from the employer but I don't necessarily believe that a fictitious "friend" was created either. We don't know if either is this truth yet.

We also don't know the background of this case. Was she a deadbeat employee who abused her condition to get out of work? Maybe so. Every office has people like that, mine has a few. Migraine's are like back pain, go ahead and try to prove that they aren't experiencing it without being a little invasive.

What I think happened is the colleague didn't "inadvertently" see her online and instead her boss suspected that she was playing hooky and asked this colleague to see if she had been online that day.

This is why I don't have a myspace or facebook account. No need to put that much information about yourself out there on an easy to access place like "friend" websites.

If people think Facebook is private, they are wrong. It's on the net; people can access it. You can have your settings set to private but if you play games like Mafia Wars and invite players so you can build your mafia, they can see your pages. You don't know these people or who they are. Maybe someone she befriended for a game worked for the company.

The woman was stupid, she lied about how sick she was, she got caught, they fired her. Hope she learns a lesson.

Last edited:
If people think Facebook is private, they are wrong. It's on the net; people can access it. You can have your settings set to private but if you play games like Mafia Wars and invite players so you can build your mafia, they can see your pages. You don't know these people or who they are. Maybe someone she befriended for a game worked for the company.

The woman was stupid, she lied about how sick she was, she got caught, they fired her. Hope she learns a lesson.

She won't, and it will be so totally unfair, and everyone else's fault except hers.

Migraines can be incapacitating. If you have one bad enough to cause you to have to lay down, even the light from a phone is going to fuck you up bad. Simply, she lied, and got busted.

If she had just called in sick without mentioning it was a migraine, do you think think she should be fired?

A Swiss woman has lost her job after her employers spotted she was using the Facebook website when she had claimed to be too ill to use a computer.

The unnamed woman was suffering a migraine and had told her employer, Nationale Suisse, she needed to lie in a darkened room.

The company said its discovery that she was also using Facebook destroyed its trust in her and prompted her sacking.

Read full article here.

If you read the full article, there is an implication that her employer was spying on her. Is it right? Could a harmless entry on Facebook warrant this woman getting fired? Beware of friends on Facebook...

Lets see,
she was at work and getting paid to work, but she was screwing off on the internet instead.
Sounds like reasonable grounds for dismissal to me.

It amazes me how many people I see at work that are screwing off on the internet during company hours. My employer thinks I'm incredibly efficient at my job. I'm not. I just don't waste time on the internet while at work like just about everybody else does.

---Edit-----
Just realized she wasn't at work when this happened.
I have to re-think my first sentence.

Last edited:
If she had just called in sick without mentioning it was a migraine, do you think think she should be fired?

If she got caught screwing off? I think at a bare minimum 3 days without pay. If it happened again, termination.

People like her are the reason more employees don't offer sick pay.

Mine still does, and I don't use it unless I really need to. I think I have more sick pay built up than actual vacation...

Read full article here.

Its the company's computer, an employee has no right to privacy when using a company computer. And frivilous surfing of the interwebs on company time is a legitimate firing offense.

Read full article here.

Its the company's computer, an employee has no right to privacy when using a company computer. And frivilous surfing of the interwebs on company time is a legitimate firing offense.

She could have posted on Facebook from her mobile phone.

Still, too sick to work, too sick for Facebook, or Myspace, or .....

If she got caught screwing off? I think at a bare minimum 3 days without pay. If it happened again, termination.

Mine still does, and I don't use it unless I really need to. I think I have more sick pay built up than actual vacation...

I've got over 75 days built up, that is after I missed all that time last year between, my dad dying, Jay being sick, and my being sick. I don't play sick, though I :eusa_pray: for snow, rain, hot days! LOL!

I have two employees who never call in sick. They are my two managers and are amazing.

I have to literally tell him, "You look sick, go home." Of course, I give them a wink (and sometimes some cash for lunch and movie with their kids) when I send them on their way.

my dad had an employee call in sick and than did an interview for the news up at the local ski resort! My dad didn't fire her because he thought it was funny plus he is a softy.
The lady was probably friends with someone from her work or her boss on facebook which is how they probably caught her. When I used to call in sick at my old job I made sure I never posted on myspace that day since I was friends with my boss. The lady obviously doesn't have any common sense.

I have two employees who never call in sick. They are my two managers and are amazing.

I have to literally tell him, "You look sick, go home." Of course, I give them a wink (and sometimes some cash for lunch and movie with their kids) when I send them on their way.

That's awesome.
Send them home for being sick when they are perfectly healthy.
I'm gonna call you if I ever need a job again. :udaman:

I've got over 75 days built up, that is after I missed all that time last year between, my dad dying, Jay being sick, and my being sick. I don't play sick, though I :eusa_pray: for snow, rain, hot days! LOL!

Last I checked (6 months ago or so) I had 96 days built up. Add that to the 3 weeks of vacation I get per year, plus the average of 1.5 weeks that's rolled over each year (I actually lose more than I take), I could lose a limb, and get paid while it grows back. :D

Last I checked (6 months ago or so) I had 96 days built up. Add that to the 3 weeks of vacation I get per year, plus the average of 1.5 weeks that's rolled over each year (I actually lose more than I take), I could lose a limb, and get paid while it grows back. :D

Almost 2.5 years ago when I got downsized (fired), I had 8 weeks of vacation time on the books. I didn't get severance because of that (2 weeks pay in lieu of notice). The people that got fired that only had 2 or 3 weeks vacation on the books got one weeks salary for every year of employment (max of 10 weeks pay). Not using up my vacation was a downside to my potential severance package.
Oh well, shit happens. I still got handed a check for 10 weeks pay as they kicked me out the door. It was summer, I went on vacation for a month. Me and the 16 year old went to CA. I stayed for 2 weeks, and then left my daughter with my sister for the rest of summer. She learned how to surf (sis lives about 6 blocks from the beach on the north side of Monterey Bay). Been fired 3 times in my life, that was the best firing I ever got.

Forum List

Back