'Ill' worker fired over Facebook

Discussion in 'Europe' started by PoliticalChic, Apr 26, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,950
    Read full article here.
    BBC NEWS | Technology | 'Ill' worker fired over Facebook

If you read the full article, there is an implication that her employer was spying on her. Is it right? Could a harmless entry on Facebook warrant this woman getting fired? Beware of friends on Facebook...

2. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

3. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    If the company did in fact create the fictitious "friend" to monitor her online activity then I would say that is preffy effed up an unethical. I really don't believe the, "colleague had inadvertently noticed her using Facebook" story from the employer but I don't necessarily believe that a fictitious "friend" was created either. We don't know if either is this truth yet.

We also don't know the background of this case. Was she a deadbeat employee who abused her condition to get out of work? Maybe so. Every office has people like that, mine has a few. Migraine's are like back pain, go ahead and try to prove that they aren't experiencing it without being a little invasive.

What I think happened is the colleague didn't "inadvertently" see her online and instead her boss suspected that she was playing hooky and asked this colleague to see if she had been online that day.

This is why I don't have a myspace or facebook account. No need to put that much information about yourself out there on an easy to access place like "friend" websites.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,088
    Don't worry. Its Europe. She'll get 3 years severance pay.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    If people think Facebook is private, they are wrong. It's on the net; people can access it. You can have your settings set to private but if you play games like Mafia Wars and invite players so you can build your mafia, they can see your pages. You don't know these people or who they are. Maybe someone she befriended for a game worked for the company.

The woman was stupid, she lied about how sick she was, she got caught, they fired her. Hope she learns a lesson.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  6. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    She won't, and it will be so totally unfair, and everyone else's fault except hers.

Migraines can be incapacitating. If you have one bad enough to cause you to have to lay down, even the light from a phone is going to fuck you up bad. Simply, she lied, and got busted.

7. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Agreed.

8. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,950
    If she had just called in sick without mentioning it was a migraine, do you think think she should be fired?

9. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Lets see,
    she was at work and getting paid to work, but she was screwing off on the internet instead.
    Sounds like reasonable grounds for dismissal to me.

It amazes me how many people I see at work that are screwing off on the internet during company hours. My employer thinks I'm incredibly efficient at my job. I'm not. I just don't waste time on the internet while at work like just about everybody else does.

---Edit-----
    Just realized she wasn't at work when this happened.
    I have to re-think my first sentence.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If she got caught screwing off? I think at a bare minimum 3 days without pay. If it happened again, termination.

People like her are the reason more employees don't offer sick pay.

Mine still does, and I don't use it unless I really need to. I think I have more sick pay built up than actual vacation...