How low can they get?

Bootneck

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2008
England
There are times where I am ashamed to be British. This is one such time!

Gurkhas who risked their lives for Britain suffered a major blow today in their attempts to win the right to settle here.
The Home Office announced that after a High Court ruling 10,000 more former soldiers and family members would be eligible to live permanently in Britain, but campaigners say that in reality the new rules may help fewer than 100 men.
David Enright, a solicitor acting on behalf of the Gurkhas, said: “They have set criteria that are unattainable. They require a Gurkha to serve for 20 years – but a rifleman is only permitted to serve for 15 years.
“It’s a sham and an absolute disgrace. It’s far more restrictive than the old policy.”

Gurkha immigration policy condemned as 'a sham' - Times Online

Gurkhas have fought with honour and courage for the British army for over 100 years and how does our Labour government reward these men who are prepared to lay down their lives for Britain? By implementing a cynical residency test that is virtually impossible to pass! To qualify, they must have served more than twenty years or won one of the top four medals for gallantry (VC, DSO, DCM, MC) and they don't give those out like confetti!

What a sham from a government that allows illegal immigrants to stay in the country living off benefits!!!

That is really sad. I've heard stories about the Gurkhas and I would be proud to call them comrades, they deserve better.

Gurkhas who risked their lives for Britain suffered a major blow today in their attempts to win the right to settle here.
The Home Office announced that after a High Court ruling 10,000 more former soldiers and family members would be eligible to live permanently in Britain, but campaigners say that in reality the new rules may help fewer than 100 men.
David Enright, a solicitor acting on behalf of the Gurkhas, said: “They have set criteria that are unattainable. They require a Gurkha to serve for 20 years – but a rifleman is only permitted to serve for 15 years.
“It’s a sham and an absolute disgrace. It’s far more restrictive than the old policy.”

Gurkhas have fought with honour and courage for the British army for over 100 years and how does our Labour government reward these men who are prepared to lay down their lives for Britain? By implementing a cynical residency test that is virtually impossible to pass! To qualify, they must have served more than twenty years or won one of the top four medals for gallantry (VC, DSO, DCM, MC) and they don't give those out like confetti!

What a sham from a government that allows illegal immigrants to stay in the country living off benefits!!!

Yeah, I don't blame you for being pissed.

We (Americans) did something rather similar to the Philipinos who fought with us against the Japanese in WWII

We promised them GI rights after the war but did not do it for over 40 years...

And of course by that time nobody was young enough (or in most cases alive enough) to take advantage of that promise.

That is really sad. I've heard stories about the Gurkhas and I would be proud to call them comrades, they deserve better.

And the stories you will have heard are 100% true, Amanda. They are fearless warriors and their loyalty is second to none. They have won 13 Victoria crosses! When a Gurkha draws his kukri, watch out. They never draw it without the intent to draw blood! And yes. We are more than proud to call them comrades. It's a pity our government knows nothing about honour.

gurkha2.jpg

This little mother can take off a man's head with one stroke!

gurkha.jpg

...and if you see this coming towards you....run!

Your government's as dumb as ours!:lol:

And the stories you will have heard are 100% true, Amanda. They are fearless warriors and their loyalty is second to none. They have won 13 Victoria crosses! When a Gurkha draws his kukri, watch out. They never draw it without the intent to draw blood! And yes. We are more than proud to call them comrades. It's a pity our government knows nothing about honour.

gurkha2.jpg

gurkha.jpg

I guess we have you beat on this one though. I don't recall the exact particulars, but basically, if you do a 4 year hitch in the US military, US citizenship at the end is almost automatic. I think they still have to go through the formalities of applying, but at least with the peopel I knew that did it, that was all it was -- a formality.

I guess we have you beat on this one though. I don't recall the exact particulars, but basically, if you do a 4 year hitch in the US military, US citizenship at the end is almost automatic. I think they still have to go through the formalities of applying, but at least with the peopel I knew that did it, that was all it was -- a formality.

That's exactly how it should be, Gunny and four years is a fair and equitable time period. To insist that Gurkhas serve over twenty years before qualifying for settlement is crass to the enth degree.

Yeah, I saw this the other day. Don't know whether this is correct but Joanna Lumley said that riflemen can't serve more than 15 years. If so, and the test requires 20 years, it's an example of the worst kind of duplicity, the minister in charge should be sacked and Gordon Brown should make an apology in the commons. And of course the policy should be changed.

That's exactly how it should be, Gunny and four years is a fair and equitable time period. To insist that Gurkhas serve over twenty years before qualifying for settlement is crass to the enth degree.

At the company I worked for until recently, senior executives from overseas, if they worked at Head Office in London for more than 4 years, were pretty much a lock for a British passport.

There can be no better qualification for British citizenship than to be prepared to die in the service of the country. Labour could pick up some really cheap votes here by agreeing that any Gurkha with more than, say, 5 years full time honourable service qualifies.

Why they don't do so simply beggars belief. The way we give away the rights of Britons on the cheap (signing up to the EU constitution without the promised referendum) and don't give citizenship to those that should have it is everything that is worst about this government. I hope David Cameron takes full advantage of this opportunity.

For what its worth..being Irish I've always hated the british.

Yeah, I saw this the other day. Don't know whether this is correct but Joanna Lumley said that riflemen can't serve more than 15 years. If so, and the test requires 20 years, it's an example of the worst kind of duplicity, the minister in charge should be sacked and Gordon Brown should make an apology in the commons. And of course the policy should be changed.

Yes, I also saw the fifteen year statement. I'm not sure on that. In the British army, ranks below sergeant can serve for 22 years. Perhaps there's a caveat for Gurkha riflemen. Also, the requirement for Gurkhas to serve 20 years is five times as long as the requirement for those from Commonwealth countries.

Gordon Brown apologise! You must be joking!!

For what it's worth...I couldn't give a toss what wankers like you think of the Brits!

The Anglos aren't bad people (they're used and abused just as we are) , but their government would be much improved with some judicious head chopping.

Much like ours would be well served by same, I note.

For what it's worth...I couldn't give a toss what wankers like you think of the Brits!

The Anglos aren't bad people (they're used and abused just as we are) , but their government would be much improved with some judicious head chopping.

Much like ours would be well served by same, I note.

Come May 2010, you'll have your wish.

gurkha2.jpg

gurkha.jpg

I know I'm being stupid and overly emotional today (cos of my bro I think) but seeing those pics... damn. It makes me want to throw myself into the war. Why am I still just sitting here?

I know I'm being stupid and overly emotional today (cos of my bro I think) but seeing those pics... damn. It makes me want to throw myself into the war. Why am I still just sitting here?

Amanda, think once, think twice and don't stop until you get to ten. If by then you still feel the same, then go for it. However, my advice would be to resist the urge. I'm sure your bro would offer the same advice.

Amanda, think once, think twice and don't stop until you get to ten. If by then you still feel the same, then go for it. However, my advice would be to resist the urge. I'm sure your bro would offer the same advice.

I'm sure he would too. But that's not the point. I could help. I should help. I need to help.

I come from a long line of people that have served. I can't help but feel the pull to serve too. It's in my blood and I believe it's the right thing to do.

I'm sure he would too. But that's not the point. I could help. I should help. I need to help.

I come from a long line of people that have served. I can't help but feel the pull to serve too. It's in my blood and I believe it's the right thing to do.

Not a decision to be taken lightly, but if you really feel in your heart that you should do it, then you should do it.

That said, there are plenty of other ways that you could 'serve' as well. Working with vets who need help is one of the most undervalued but worthwhile jobs in the world. So many of them are forgotten about when they come home, sometimes in pretty bad shape, or when adjusting to a new life in Civvy Street. Some of them are not easy to help either.

Whatever you decide, I hope you consider all the facts, and I hope it works out for you.

Incidentally, when I was in my teens and early twenties, I had a really good friend called Helen. She would have been about the age you are now. She was great fun. Cute, bubbly, fun loving and a real party animal. When we left school, she got a job as a secretary at the Foreign Office. She invited me and several other friends to the Annual Foreign Office Ball and I remember how embarrassed she was when we all did a "Dead Ant" in the middle of the dance floor in front of several hundred diplomats and other dignitaries. I often wondered why a secretary got transferred to different countries so often. It was only 20 years later that I found out she had spent the last 2 decades working for MI6. You'd never have thought it to look at her.

I'm rambling on too much now, but I guess my point is you never really know what someone is capable of.

Forum List

Back