If you're against polygamy, are you a bigot?

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

so, if you oppose polygamy, does that make you a bigot?

Good question, I have not really thought about it but polygamy has a history of being a pretty shitty situation for the multiple women involved but if it were somehow turned into an equitable agreement among all parties involved there would be no problem. I have no cultural or religious opposition to it, only an opposition to what it has traditionally turned out to be, a cage for women and their female offspring.

i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

No, laws prohibiting polygamy have a rational basis, are applied to everyone equally, and are absent animus.

Laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, however, lack a rational basis, seek to exclude a specific class of persons from marriage law, and are motivated by animus alone on the part of the state.

No, laws prohibiting polygamy have a rational basis, are applied to everyone equally, and are absent animus.

Laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, however, lack a rational basis, seek to exclude a specific class of persons from marriage law, and are motivated by animus alone on the part of the state.

Polygamy was criminalized in the U.S. in response to the Mormon practice of it. That is arguably animus.

Yep.

I am against ritual human and animal sacrifice as well. And anything that has anything to do with sex with underage children.

Just call me Archie Bunker.

Don't forget that president Hussein's father was a bigamist alcoholic communist and democrats laughed it off.

And none of the males in the Romney clan..served in the United States Military.

In fact..given a choice..they fled the US. And when their adopted country Mexico, needed help, they fled.

Brave Sir Robin Romneys..

Alot of religions claim bigotry, prosecution, some sort of foul play when you refuse to embrace their beliefs and say/do otherwise.

Nice rationalizing.

Welcome to the other side of the "bigot line", enjoy your stay.

Don't forget that president Hussein's father was a bigamist alcoholic communist and democrats laughed it off.

In fact..given a choice..they fled the US. And when their adopted country Mexico, needed help, they fled.

How many Hussein relatives served in the (US) Military? Is there some double standard at work here?

Legally... No.

Morally... Yes.

How many Hussein relatives served in the (US) Military? Is there some double standard at work here?

Barack Obama's grandfather served in WWII.

You is owned.

Forum List

Back