If you think arming teachers is a solution to school shootings then you are either dumb or insane

Psycho Jimmy has to first know that the teacher has a gun, then he has to know that the teacher actually has it on him and not in a lock box locked in a file cabinet or desk drawer. IOW, the hysteria can now subside.
People with this type of opinion obviously dont know kids very well. Its not like they dont have months to figure out the teacher has a weapon.
And, like I've been saying all along, when the teacher uses his/her weapon for classroom defense, they're not necessarily carrying it during class time. When the alert goes out that a shooter is on campus, he/she barricades and guards the door. He doesn't have to have it out where psycho Jimmy can get to it. Y'all can calm down now.
Yeah thats smart. Lock your weapon in something the kids can figure out how to break into and worse yet is so inaccessible you get killed because it took too long for you to get it.
Have you seen lock boxes lately? They're the ones the anti-gun types want to require all gun owners to keep their weapons in when their house is broken into. You're just trying to come up with ever wilder scenarios now. No need for this panic.
Yes I have guns myself. How hard do you think it is for a kid to figure out how to get into one?
You tell me. How many kids have broken into your gun safe, and if you are convinced it's that easy, why do you still have that safe?

Yeah I can easily see some nutcase teacher flipping out and killing an entire class of students and himself.
And he couldn't do that today? What would stop him, given that we've seen how easy it is for a shooter to get into the softest of soft targets and kill to his heart's content?
He could do it today. The point is if you give him a gun and say its fine to bring it to school there is nothing between him and killing people except opportunity and air.
And that's where you're wrong. I don't know how many people I've seen repeating the hysteria that we're going to give teachers guns. No. We're going to allow teachers that are already familiar with their weapon, already have a CC permit, and go through additional training to have their weapon in school. Seriously, you could hurt yourself attacking all those straw men.
Who told you I was talking about a teacher that wasnt already familiar with a gun?
You said "give him a gun". Someone who is familiar enough with a gun and is willing to be trained to carry one into school to protect the kids already has one.
So youre saying if you give someone a gun that means they have never used one?

People with this type of opinion obviously dont know kids very well. Its not like they dont have months to figure out the teacher has a weapon.
And, like I've been saying all along, when the teacher uses his/her weapon for classroom defense, they're not necessarily carrying it during class time. When the alert goes out that a shooter is on campus, he/she barricades and guards the door. He doesn't have to have it out where psycho Jimmy can get to it. Y'all can calm down now.
Yeah thats smart. Lock your weapon in something the kids can figure out how to break into and worse yet is so inaccessible you get killed because it took too long for you to get it.
Have you seen lock boxes lately? They're the ones the anti-gun types want to require all gun owners to keep their weapons in when their house is broken into. You're just trying to come up with ever wilder scenarios now. No need for this panic.
Yes I have guns myself. How hard do you think it is for a kid to figure out how to get into one?
You tell me. How many kids have broken into your gun safe, and if you are convinced it's that easy, why do you still have that safe?
I already told you how easy it is. I have it because its required by law.

And he couldn't do that today? What would stop him, given that we've seen how easy it is for a shooter to get into the softest of soft targets and kill to his heart's content?
He could do it today. The point is if you give him a gun and say its fine to bring it to school there is nothing between him and killing people except opportunity and air.
And that's where you're wrong. I don't know how many people I've seen repeating the hysteria that we're going to give teachers guns. No. We're going to allow teachers that are already familiar with their weapon, already have a CC permit, and go through additional training to have their weapon in school. Seriously, you could hurt yourself attacking all those straw men.
Who told you I was talking about a teacher that wasnt already familiar with a gun?
You said "give him a gun". Someone who is familiar enough with a gun and is willing to be trained to carry one into school to protect the kids already has one.
I'm saying that those who have the appropriate temperament and CC permit already have a gun. If they don't, you don't give them one, because who gets a CC permit but doesn't get a gun? You guys are the ones who keep harping on that idea. They should already be completely familiar with the weapon, how it works, how it shoots, any weaknesses, etc. The last thing you want is someone who literally doesn't know everything about the weapon he's carrying.

So you have the safe, not because you think it's safer to use one, but because you're forced to by law? Interesting. No wonder you think any teacher that is willing to be armed will be careless with their weapon. How many times have teenagers broken into your safe and how many weapons have you had stolen?

I'm saying that those who have the appropriate temperament and CC permit already have a gun. If they don't, you don't give them one, because who gets a CC permit but doesn't get a gun? You guys are the ones who keep harping on that idea. They should already be completely familiar with the weapon, how it works, how it shoots, any weaknesses, etc. The last thing you want is someone who literally doesn't know everything about the weapon he's carrying.
Wait so you are claiming people with a CC wont flip out and kill people? Are you sure you want to stand by that claim?

So you have the safe, not because you think it's safer to use one, but because you're forced to by law? Interesting. No wonder you think any teacher that is willing to be armed will be careless with their weapon. How many times have teenagers broken into your safe and how many weapons have you had stolen?
Correct. I try to be law abiding.

No guns stolen and it was broken into once. My question to you is what makes you think kids cant figure out how to get into one?

Wait so you are claiming people with a CC wont flip out and kill people? Are you sure you want to stand by that claim?
Oh for the love of Pete. Of course they could. So could a paid security guard. So could a cop who was called to the scene of a shooting. So could the janitor. So could their Mom or Dad. So could the kid sitting behind them or anyone. How far are you going to take this?

Look at the crime stats. What group of people is among the safest out there? I'll give you a hint, we're talking about them right now.

Correct. I try to be law abiding.

No guns stolen and it was broken into once. My question to you is what makes you think kids cant figure out how to get into one?
Of course they can. The key is not to let them have access to it long enough for them to figure it out. It's still a whole lot easier to get a gun somewhere else than it would be to first figure out that Mr McGillicuddy has a gun locked in the cabinet, then get enough time to break in to get it. Not very likely. Did it take the kids less than ten minutes to break into your locked and secured gun safe or did they have several hours to work on it?

Great, now 15 year old Jimmy the psychopath and others like them who are too young to buy guns can get one for free by knocking out their teacher from behind.

This idea is so dumb that it blows my mind grown adults came up with it.
So it turns out that 12 states already have schools with armed teachers (and 18 allow adults to enter a school carrying a firearm). And not a one of them have experienced the bullshit that Billy000 literally made up for this thread.

I'm sorry Billy - but this is unacceptable. All you do is spread misinformation. You pose far more threat to society than a firearm ever has. Perhaps we need to look at stripping you of your 1st Amendment rights?

Which States Allow Teachers to Carry Guns? These Maps Explain | Inverse
This is so dumb lol. For one thing, this only applies to concealed carry. Secondly, this only means teachers are allowed to do it. It doesn’t mean they actually carry the weapons. You’re talking about a small amount of teachers. Mostly because it is illegal under federal law.

The bottom line here remains. We KNOW shooters gain access to schools and kill kids in class rooms. It already happens. We think kids MIGHT figure out a particular teacher has a gun, figure out where it is, and have enough time to gain access to it.

At the end of the day, however, we're still faced with that shooter coming into the room and killing everyone in it. I want the teacher to have a defense if he/she wants one. You don't.

Great, now 15 year old Jimmy the psychopath and others like them who are too young to buy guns can get one for free by knocking out their teacher from behind.

So it turns out that 12 states already have schools with armed teachers (and 18 allow adults to enter a school carrying a firearm). And not a one of them have experienced the bullshit that Billy000 literally made up for this thread.

I'm sorry Billy - but this is unacceptable. All you do is spread misinformation. You pose far more threat to society than a firearm ever has. Perhaps we need to look at stripping you of your 1st Amendment rights?

This is so dumb lol. For one thing, this only applies to concealed carry. Secondly, this only means teachers are allowed to do it. It doesn’t mean they actually carry the weapons. You’re talking about a small amount of teachers. Mostly because it is illegal under federal law.

If it's illegal, how are they doing it? The city and school have to approve of it. In fact, an Alabama school just approved of it today.

If it's illegal, how are they doing it? The city and school have to approve of it. In fact, an Alabama school just approved of it today.
How are you not getting this? Just because they can, it doesn’t mean they want to and are doing it.

1) It must be concealed carry. How many teachers have that license?
2) They don’t want to anyway as most teachers think this idea is retarded.

Psycho Jimmy has to first know that the teacher has a gun, then he has to know that the teacher actually has it on him and not in a lock box locked in a file cabinet or desk drawer. IOW, the hysteria can now subside.

So? If you're going to get killed anyway............

What prevents little Jimmy from bashing the cop on the head?

What prevents little Jimmy from bashing the cop on the head?
Daily access for starters. Familiarity breeds contempt?

The bottom line here remains. We KNOW shooters gain access to schools and kill kids in class rooms. It already happens. We think kids MIGHT figure out a particular teacher has a gun, figure out where it is, and have enough time to gain access to it.

At the end of the day, however, we're still faced with that shooter coming into the room and killing everyone in it. I want the teacher to have a defense if he/she wants one. You don't.
Ok I get that. The point is if just one kid is killed because a teacher accidentally or on purpose shoots a kid or a kid gains access to the gun a teacher is carrying and kills someone its not worth taking the risk.

So? If you're going to get killed anyway............
I bet you money the odds are higher you would get shot by a kid gaining access to the gun (that shouldnt even be there) than a school shooter killing you with his own gun.

Ok I get that. The point is if just one kid is killed because a teacher accidentally or on purpose shoots a kid or a kid gains access to the gun a teacher is carrying and kills someone its not worth taking the risk.
Just one against a dozen or more in a single mass shooting in a defenseless classroom? I mean, if we're seriously going down the "just one life is worth it" road, are you willing to drive cars that cannot exceed 25 mph, because that would save tens of thousands of lives every year?

No solution is perfect, and to insist any solution must be 100% perfect before even trying it is foolish.

Just one against a dozen or more in a single mass shooting in a defenseless classroom? I mean, if we're seriously going down the "just one life is worth it" road, are you willing to drive cars that cannot exceed 25 mph, because that would save tens of thousands of lives every year?
Sure. I wouldnt have a problem with it as long as everyone had the same car. However, cars are designed to transport not shoot.

Forum List

Back