If You Live in One of These – You Probably Want to Get Out!

I'd love to move to Oregon, myself. Would prefer Maui, but that isn't going to happen. And I doubt we ever get to Oregon..but I can get close to it. Upper California suits me.

Oregon's getting more liberal all the time Gracie, plus it's almost as wet as Washington.
I can't wait until I retire, and I'm moving south as fast as I can.

About two thirds of Oregon is rather on the dry side. And Portland, Oregon, gets about the same amount of rainfall as most east coast cities. In a couple of hours drive from almost anywhere in Oregon, you can have beautiful sea shore, rain forest, high desert, or gorgeous high mountain valleys in pine forests. There are high mountain streams with excellent trout fishing, a very large river system with big resevoirs that have all kinds of fish, and there are deer, elk, antelope, California big horn sheep, mountain goat, and all kinds of other game in our mountains and deserts. Portland, Salem, and Eugene are all very pretty towns, and Portland has one of the best tranportation systems in the nation. There are good paying jobs to be had for those with skills, and a very forward looking entrapenurial business community.

Yes, we are getting more liberal all the time, and wealthier at the same time for that liberalism.

Oregon also has liberal policies regarding the fair and equitable utilization of the states hot-springs by the clothing optional crowd. Tiger Mountain ROCKS!! :rock:

Florida could use a little less political influence from the blue-hairs and a few more nude beaches.

Talk about a short-sighted policy in a state that lives and dies with tourism. :eusa_doh:

I live in CT and I can concur.

I certainly don't want to live here any longer than I have to

State with most citizens LEAST LIKELY to leave their State is my present State of Maine...

When driving in to the state, the welcome sign says,

WELCOME TO THE STATE OF MAINE
The way life should be.

And boy oh boy oh boy....it IS THE MOST beautiful state that I have ever been in or lived in...God as my witness!

(and I have been or lived in about 36 different states)

We have lush forests, a gazillion billion lakes, very very few people living here, Mountains with trees and Mountains of granite, 1500 miles plus of coastline due to all of the coves, inlets, bay mouths, and Islands along the coast that are just majestic to look at, Acadia National Park, Blueberries and Potatoes and the best kept secret of the best and largest corn on the cob in the Nation that goes with our awesome Maine Lobster, and muscles and halibut and Atlantic Salmon.... :) We have all 4 seasons, that are embraced by the locals, everyone, and I mean everyone works very hard up here....it's a very physical state....lots of snow shoveling, to dragging in Lobster traps or fishing nets, to toiling the soil by hand for all the personal vegetable gardens or farms, (we don't have illegals for cheap labor as the states in the south, we are the chambermaids for the summer hotels, we are the gardeners, we are the farmers, we are the fisherman, we are the laborers up here for everything dirty that has to be done) but there is so much pleasure that goes with the hard life...the BEAUTY of nature, being able to live off the land with both fish and animals in abundance if you want to, snowmobiling, skiing, 4 wheeling, ice fishing in the winters, and the Appalachia trail ends here in Maine....summers have an average high of around 78 with very long days for a short period of time, wild flowers and wild apple trees galore, Moose and Black Bears (2 in my back yard at the bird feeder, 2 years ago :eek: )and white tail deer, and even saw some mule deer in the meadow across the way, and Bald Eagles every where, the coastline has sandy beaches, but mostly rocky beaches with more 'sea glass pickings' that I have ever come across in all the eastern sea coast from here to Florida.... :) I LOVE THIS STATE....the best kept secret around...

And it is a State that is lacking when it comes to the covetous manufactured material luxuries of life...people get by with little way up here where I live...but THAT is the beauty of it all....in my humble opinion...

We may be poor in my State, but we are rich in Spirit and the appreciation for nature is second to none!

Since there is no more slavery, Maine should really be returned to Massachusetts where it belongs.

Georgia?

I was trying to determine the correlation among states with 'high desire to leave'--really couldn't--didn't try very hard.

People don't seem that dissatisfied with Georgia. Those contacted for this poll certainly are. Fairly moderate climate, employment is on the upswing, I forget the assortment of other reasons that GA is generally accepted.

People in AL and TX have little desire to leave---let me go and think about that.

eta: The list of the states that people want to leave didn't include GA--which seems to be the same color as Mississippi and others. Curious. Still can't come up with the 'group' that might wish to leave--more Liberal people might wish to leave or more Conservative people might wish to leave--somewhat moderate in it conservatism. Many people from the NE and Midwest --other states which made the 'want to leave' list --seem to locate in GA---some bitterness over the cultural differences--'Generic city without history' that is how Atlanta is frequently described. Others enjoy the lack of bitterly cold winters and the employment opportunities and seem reasonably happy. fwiw.

Last edited:
states.png

Another Gallup Poll. Isn't it amazing the stuff they come up to poll on? Anyhow, as a resident of one of them, you put me on the “Absolutely!” answer side. Read more @ The States People Want To Get The Hell Out Of [Infographic] | Popular Science

I live in Montana. No One wants out of Heaven!! :D

Seriously though, I have pretty much lived all over the United States and Europe. I moved to Montana for a reason. I bought land and built my house (which faces the mountains, a freshwater stream and a large pond) for a reason.

There aren't many liberal Nazis here. :D

That, and the "No Trepassing" sign keeps the "low-life's" away. :lol:

Georgia?

People don't seem that dissatisfied with Georgia. Those contacted for this poll certainly are. .

I figured with all those people leaving on that midnight train to Georgia its population would be on the rise.

I'd love to move to Oregon, myself. Would prefer Maui, but that isn't going to happen. And I doubt we ever get to Oregon..but I can get close to it. Upper California suits me.

Oregon's getting more liberal all the time Gracie, plus it's almost as wet as Washington.
I can't wait until I retire, and I'm moving south as fast as I can.
Funny, I spent most my career in the deep south and couldn't wait to get out. I think most everyone has a desire to move on given enough time, however job, family, and friends will keep people living in the damnist places.

Yep, I thought I would leave as soon as my mom and dad passed. Once they did, my job was the excuse. Once I retire, if my brother is still alive, it will be hard to leave him, but I need some vitamin D. It's just too damn gray here.

By the way, according to the map, I'm the minority. Looks like there are only four states where apparently people are very satisfied, and Oregon is one of them.

Last edited:
Florida could use a little less political influence from the blue-hairs and a few more nude beaches.

Talk about a short-sighted policy in a state that lives and dies with tourism. :eusa_doh:

Kind words for FL. I would want to leave it if I lived there.

I don't even try to understand their politics.

Georgia?

People don't seem that dissatisfied with Georgia. Those contacted for this poll certainly are. .

I figured with all those people leaving on that midnight train to Georgia its population would be on the rise.

My Brother lived in Atlanta after retiring from the Marines. His Son is a Detective on the Atlanta PD. Been down there to see his Son many times, my Brother passed 5 years ago. I don't mind Atlanta, but it's hotter than hell in the Summer.

Georgia?

My Brother lived in Atlanta after retiring from the Marines. His Son is a Detective on the Atlanta PD. Been down there to see his Son many times, my Brother passed 5 years ago. I don't mind Atlanta, but it's hotter than hell in the Summer.

I don't enjoy July and August--part of September. I did enjoy a relatively mild winter--we had a few days of ice/snow---while everyone else had weeks and months. Very beautiful spring and the fall September to Nov/December is pleasant.

I think those who created the map used the wrong color for GA---shrug--less likely that people want to leave it than AL or SC---jmo. The ATL traffic is horrible---lol--5,000,000 or more people who find the metro area somewhat acceptable--often wish some of them would leave.

I moved to Montana for a reason.

To make your "last stand"?

I own 260 acres, 9 horses, 12 cows and 2 bulls. Chickens and ducks and one "meaner-than-hell" goat. I have a 4 bedroom home with 2 barns, a ATV, a Harley Fat Boy, a pickup and my Wife has her car.

I'm 69 so yeah, The "Walking Dude" is making his "Stand".

If the proverbial "doo-doo" hits the fan, I couldn't care less. I have a generator and solar panels (if needed). I have fresh water and crops. BRING IT. :D

I own 260 acres, 9 horses, 12 cows and 2 bulls. Chickens and ducks and one "meaner-than-hell" goat. I have a 4 bedroom home with 2 barns, a ATV, a Harley Fat Boy, a pickup and my Wife has her car.

If the proverbial "doo-doo" hits the fan, I couldn't care less. I have a generator and solar panels (if needed). I have fresh water and crops. BRING IT. :D

I was kinda making a Little Bighorn joke, but that all sounds pretty nice.

I was kinda making a Little Bighorn joke, but that all sounds pretty nice.

I figured that. I was referring to "The Stand" Stephen King. It's a great book and I recommend it to everyone. :D

Montana is beautiful. I've been there a few times.
But I need people, people all around me. City noise is my friend.
So when I go to Montana, after awhile I gotta leave and get back to my peeps, noise and hassles! :D

Montana is beautiful. I've been there a few times.
But I need people, people all around me. City noise is my friend.
So when I go to Montana, after awhile I gotta leave and get back to my peeps, noise and hassles! :D

I did a short stint on the Upper East side back in 1979. Thought I. was going to. lose my mind! Berlin drove me crazy as well. Too damned many people. :D

But you are correct - Montana is one of the most beautiful places on this earth.

Forum List

Back