If You Live in One of These – You Probably Want to Get Out!

Florida could use a little less political influence from the blue-hairs and a few more nude beaches.

Talk about a short-sighted policy in a state that lives and dies with tourism. :eusa_doh:
Florida is a great place to be from, hot and humidly most of year, traffic, congestion, very limited public transportation, restricted beech access, hurricanes, sink holes, and an ecological nightmare. The lack of income tax and the states reliance on tourism and construction makes for a boom or bust economy. It's one of those places where everybody is from some place elsel

Last edited:
I own 260 acres, 9 horses, 12 cows and 2 bulls. Chickens and ducks and one "meaner-than-hell" goat. I have a 4 bedroom home with 2 barns, a ATV, a Harley Fat Boy, a pickup and my Wife has her car.

I'm 69 so yeah, The "Walking Dude" is making his "Stand".

If the proverbial "doo-doo" hits the fan, I couldn't care less. I have a generator and solar panels (if needed). I have fresh water and crops. BRING IT. :D

I was kinda making a Little Bighorn joke, but that all sounds pretty nice.

I figured that. I was referring to "The Stand" Stephen King. It's a great book and I recommend it to everyone. :D

It's good, but it drags on a bit.

I own 260 acres, 9 horses, 12 cows and 2 bulls. Chickens and ducks and one "meaner-than-hell" goat. I have a 4 bedroom home with 2 barns, a ATV, a Harley Fat Boy, a pickup and my Wife has her car.

I'm 69 so yeah, The "Walking Dude" is making his "Stand".

If the proverbial "doo-doo" hits the fan, I couldn't care less. I have a generator and solar panels (if needed). I have fresh water and crops. BRING IT. :D

Montana is beautiful. I've been there a few times.
But I need people, people all around me. City noise is my friend.
So when I go to Montana, after awhile I gotta leave and get back to my peeps, noise and hassles! :D

I did a short stint on the Upper East side back in 1979. Thought I. was going to. lose my mind! Berlin drove me crazy as well. Too damned many people. :D

But you are correct - Montana is one of the most beautiful places on this earth.

You should pop in to the train station in Beijing during Spring Festival once. You'll think New York is as uninhabited as the Moon!

Florida could use a little less political influence from the blue-hairs and a few more nude beaches.

Talk about a short-sighted policy in a state that lives and dies with tourism. :eusa_doh:
Florida is a great place to be from, hot and humidly most of year, traffic, congestion, very limited public transportation, restricted beech access, hurricanes, sink holes, and an ecological nightmare. The lack of income tax and the states reliance on tourism and construction makes for a boom or bust economy. It's one of those places where everybody is from some place elsel
My husband and I are so called "Floridians" only up here in Maine now, but all of our family is in Florida, my side and his side. My side of the family are transplants, but Matt's family on his father's side are Florida crackers, (cattlemen) and have been there forever, Matt was born and bread there....Matt's Mom was from Texas though....lived in Florida 60 years before she passed on...

You described the State perfectly! hahahahahahahaha! It's truly an awesome State if you are vacationing there, at a private hotel,on the beach, with a tiki bar and with a cocktail in hand! Especially down in the Keys...but for me, when living there and having to work for a living, getting up every morning in your air conditioned house, going to your air conditioned car and driving in jammed packed traffic, to your air conditioned work place and still be sweating....is just not my preferable thing....not now that I am older...youth through my 30's, loved the place...approaching 40, I could not leave the State and get out of the miserable summers, quick enough! but to each his own I suppose....My parents and sister love it there and do not want to live anywhere else...though they travel a lot and leave the heat of the state a lot.... vacationing...(parents are retired and have an RV and go all over the place with it...even came up here to Maine in it last year).

states.png

Another Gallup Poll. Isn't it amazing the stuff they come up to poll on? Anyhow, as a resident of one of them, you put me on the “Absolutely!” answer side. Read more @ The States People Want To Get The Hell Out Of [Infographic] | Popular Science

I live in Montana. No One wants out of Heaven!! :D

Seriously though, I have pretty much lived all over the United States and Europe. I moved to Montana for a reason. I bought land and built my house (which faces the mountains, a freshwater stream and a large pond) for a reason.

There aren't many liberal Nazis here. :D

That, and the "No Trepassing" sign keeps the "low-life's" away. :lol:

I love Montana.

Some of the nicest people on the planet.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon backtracking in Glacier. We did the northern traverse, the crown jewel of hikes IMO. 60 miles in 7 days.

Grand Traverses: Great Northern Traverse | Backpacker Magazine

On out last day out , a 12 mile push from upper Kintla lake, we were walking through the smoke of a major fire and when we got to the trail head we were told the park was being evacuated.

We had a 4 hour wait for our shuttle to pick us up but the ranger said he'd give us a ride to the closest firefighter staging area where we could wait.

When we got there we saw a couple we met on the trail the day before, they had turned around and backtracked 40 miles to see if we made it out OK.

We hitched a ride to the nearest town with them, Polebridge, basically a general store a gas station and a bar at a dirt intersection in the middle of nowhere.

polebridge1.jpg

We hung out here to wait for the shuttle drinking beers and eating some of the best fresh baked focaccia bread I ever had.

Best trip ever.

<In most states, it is not possible to view these answers because there are too few respondents, but in each of the 11 states with the highest percentages wanting to leave, roughly 100 answered the question. The breakdown of the open-ended responses for these 11 states is shown in the accompanying graph.>

I would want a larger sampling of responses than Gallup.

The description of methods of data collection went on to say that in states like SC and MS--employment opportunities was a primary reason for wanting to relocate.

And again---although GA is identified as a state from which people would like to leave on the map--it is not included on the list of states. This further undermines the credibility of this study.

If someone had asked me to choose 10 or so states in either category--I could probably have created random lists that would be as accurate.

My husband and I are so called "Floridians" only up here in Maine now, but all of our family is in Florida, my side and his side. My side of the family are transplants, but Matt's family on his father's side are Florida crackers, (cattlemen) and have been there forever, Matt was born and bread there....Matt's Mom was from Texas though....lived in Florida 60 years before she passed on...

You described the State perfectly! hahahahahahahaha! It's truly an awesome State if you are vacationing there, at a private hotel,on the beach, with a tiki bar and with a cocktail in hand! Especially down in the Keys...but for me, when living there and having to work for a living, getting up every morning in your air conditioned house, going to your air conditioned car and driving in jammed packed traffic, to your air conditioned work place and still be sweating....is just not my preferable thing....not now that I am older...youth through my 30's, loved the place...approaching 40, I could not leave the State and get out of the miserable summers, quick enough! but to each his own I suppose....My parents and sister love it there and do not want to live anywhere else...though they travel a lot and leave the heat of the state a lot.... vacationing...(parents are retired and have an RV and go all over the place with it...even came up here to Maine in it last year).
I lived in Florida for 15 years. At first we went to the beach every day, bought a boat, fished, dived, and had a great time. As time passed, the outdoors got less appealing with the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes, that started in April and last to November. If you love the water, Florida is the place to be otherwise there's a lot better places to live. We still winter there with family and friends but are so glad we live in the northwest most of the year.

Last edited:
<In most states, it is not possible to view these answers because there are too few respondents, but in each of the 11 states with the highest percentages wanting to leave, roughly 100 answered the question. The breakdown of the open-ended responses for these 11 states is shown in the accompanying graph.>

I would want a larger sampling of responses than Gallup.

The description of methods of data collection went on to say that in states like SC and MS--employment opportunities was a primary reason for wanting to relocate.

And again---although GA is identified as a state from which people would like to leave on the map--it is not included on the list of states. This further undermines the credibility of this study.

If someone had asked me to choose 10 or so states in either category--I could probably have created random lists that would be as accurate.
To me, it seems like a rather strange poll. It addresses the desire to move out of a state but not the desire to move into the state. It gives the impression, that no one wants to live there. For example Nevada seems like one of the least desirable states but in fact 7,000 people a month move to Las Vegas.

states.png

Another Gallup Poll. Isn't it amazing the stuff they come up to poll on? Anyhow, as a resident of one of them, you put me on the “Absolutely!” answer side. Read more @ The States People Want To Get The Hell Out Of [Infographic] | Popular Science

I live in Montana. No One wants out of Heaven!! :D

Seriously though, I have pretty much lived all over the United States and Europe. I moved to Montana for a reason. I bought land and built my house (which faces the mountains, a freshwater stream and a large pond) for a reason.

There aren't many liberal Nazis here. :D

That, and the "No Trepassing" sign keeps the "low-life's" away. :lol:

I love Montana.

Some of the nicest people on the planet.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon backtracking in Glacier. We did the northern traverse, the crown jewel of hikes IMO. 60 miles in 7 days.

Grand Traverses: Great Northern Traverse | Backpacker Magazine

On out last day out , a 12 mile push from upper Kintla lake, we were walking through the smoke of a major fire and when we got to the trail head we were told the park was being evacuated.

We had a 4 hour wait for our shuttle to pick us up but the ranger said he'd give us a ride to the closest firefighter staging area where we could wait.

When we got there we saw a couple we met on the trail the day before, they had turned around and backtracked 40 miles to see if we made it out OK.

We hitched a ride to the nearest town with them, Polebridge, basically a general store a gas station and a bar at a dirt intersection in the middle of nowhere.

polebridge1.jpg

We hung out here to wait for the shuttle drinking beers and eating some of the best fresh baked focaccia bread I ever had.

Best trip ever.

When I retired from the Army, my family and I settled in Kansas City (actually a suburb south of the city) where I worked at a civilian job for the next 21 years. I had a friend who had (like me) retired from the Army and he settled in Bozeman. We used to go up there and visit him and his family and we fell in love with Montana.

When I finally retired from the civilian occupation - we sold our house and headed Northwest. We had already purchased the land (originally 160 acres - but later bought another 100 acres) and we built our home there.

I know now why they cal it "God's Country". When our Son got out of the Navy, he and his family moved here and our Daughter and her family are planning to move here next year. We absolutely love it!! :D

I live in NY.

I <3 Maine, I've vacationed there 20+ times on family vacations, to the York/Wells area. I could see myself retiring there, if I don't retire to some place like Aruba.

Forum List

Back