If you can remember watching a black and white television

Unlike many b&w movies, b&w television presentations lacked the style, composition, and artistry. I don't think I have ever heard anyone mourn the passing b&w television. Color made television bearable and at times enjoyable.
There is a certain artistry to black and white photography

Remember when stations would sign off at the end of a day? The National Anthem would play, followed by the Television Code card, then the test pattern with the Indian head and the beeeeeeep...
I remember getting up at 6 AM and the test pattern would still be on
Then they would show some farmer short followed by Crusader Rabbit and eventually Captain Kangaroo

The only black and white movie that I have ever seen is Its A Wonderful Life.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
You have led a sheltered life
If you knew every nook and cranny about my life, you probably wouldn't have been so quick to say such a thing. I might lead a squeaky clean life pretty much, but sadly I have found myself surrounded by way too many people who are in sheer and severe need of a "bath" and when you share a blood line with those people, packing up and going elsewhere has never been the easy thing to do.

God bless you and whats left of my family always!!!

Holly

P.S. No offense taken by the way.

I remember watching Carol Burnett live before color. She was doing a concert at Carnegie Hall live on TV.

At the time, I thought she was so chic and classy.

I still think she is, but looking at everything with a critical view, her singing is great. She could have had a career as a serious singer if she hadn't been such an incredible comedian.
The stage is so empty and dowdy. The lighting is terrible. Her dress doesn't fit. When they show it from the back, her elbows look like sweat pants that had been worn too long and the zipper down the back is all weirdly puckered. You would swear she picked her clothes out at good will.

And yet, TV being such a new medium and making so little money had really poor production values.

But the talent is undeniable.

I bet she made more money from the actual concert, since it was sold out, than what she made off TV. But that's just a guess.

Of course, that didn't last long, just a couple of years later, we had the fantastic production values of Bonanza, but the world is an entirely different place than when I was a kid.

With the advent of color and video recording in late 50's, TV changed forever. Hollywood became the center for production of most entertainment TV which was endless westerns, space, and cop soap operas sprinkled with silly sitcoms. The networks discovered that people would watch just about anything as long as it was in color and had a good laugh track. The one thing that made TV worth watching was some of the variety shows and sports.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
If you knew every nook and cranny about my life, you probably wouldn't have been so quick to say such a thing. I might lead a squeaky clean life pretty much, but sadly I have found myself surrounded by way too many people who are in sheer and severe need of a "bath" and when you share a blood line with those people, packing up and going elsewhere has never been the easy thing to do.

Holly

You are missing out on our movie heritage

B&W movies you will not regret watching

Casablanca
Grapes of Wrath
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Destry Rides Again
Roman Holiday
On the Waterfront
Of Mice and Men
Any Abbott and Costello flick

I'm watching the 1st color TV show. :dance: Very 1st one broadcast in color.

It's not Lucy..

iu

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Holly

Casablanca
Grapes of Wrath
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Destry Rides Again
Roman Holiday
On the Waterfront
Of Mice and Men
I would add to "To Kill A Mockingbird", "The Apartment", and "The Longest Day".

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Holly

Casablanca
Grapes of Wrath
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Destry Rides Again
Roman Holiday
On the Waterfront
Of Mice and Men
I would add to "To Kill A Mockingbird", "The Apartment", and "The Longest Day".
Agree

There were a lot of classic B&W movies
Shame she has only seen one

I remember getting up at 6 AM and the test pattern would still be on
Then they would show some farmer short followed by Crusader Rabbit and eventually Captain Kangaroo
Okay, here's the money question and I want you to think long and hard before you answer. This is serious.

Underdog or Super Chicken?
Get it wrong and you'll have to go down on Hobo Kelly.

I'm watching the 1st color TV show. :dance: Very 1st one broadcast in color.

It's not Lucy..

iu

I know this! Darnitallrohel!!

Happy Days? Green Acres? PettiCoat Junction?

It's "Green Acres". :)

Did you know Eddie Albert tooled around in a motorboat, hauling wounded out of the water and transporting them to the ship on D-Day? He did that.

I love B/W ... but what about radio days only ????? just the radio! WOW!

love all the past!:04: love it!

One of my favorite shows, ever!

iu
The major problem with Westerns like this is 30 mins less 8 mins for commercials is not long enough to produce and effective western drama. After Gunsmoke changed to a 1 hr format in season 7, the quality of the stories, the acting, and their ratings improved.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back