If this is true, Panetta should resign

"In a sign of the nervousness surrounding Mr. Panetta’s trip, the Marines and other troops who were waiting in a tent for the defense secretary to speak were abruptly asked by their commander to get up, place their weapons — M-16 and M-4 automatic rifles and 9-mm pistols — outside the tent and then return unarmed. The commander, Sgt. Maj. Brandon Hall, told reporters he was acting on orders from superiors.
“All I know is, I was told to get the weapons out,” he said. Asked why, he replied, “Somebody got itchy, that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy; we just adjust.”
Normally, American forces in Afghanistan keep their weapons with them when the defense secretary visits and speaks to them. The Afghans in the tent waiting for Mr. Panetta were not armed to begin with, as is typical."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/world/asia/panetta-visits-afghanistan-following-massacre.html

Here it is:

Marines, Afghans Disarmed Before Panetta Appearance

In a sign of possible frayed nerves in the military, U.S. Marines were asked to lay down their weapons today before entering a tent where Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was scheduled to speak.

It happened in Helmand province, after Panetta had met with tribal elders in nearby villages, assuring them that the U.S. mission was on track. The unusual order comes within days of an attack by a U.S. staff sergeant on unarmed Afghan civilians that left 16 dead and enraged Afghans.

The 200 Marines were inside a tent at Camp Leatherneck along with Afghan guards and troops from other countries waiting for Panetta to arrive when they were told abruptly by Sgt. Major Brandon Hall to exit the tent, leave their weapons elsewhere, and return unarmed.

It's an unusual break from protocol since Marines are expected to be armed at all times.

If it's true that Leon Panetta had Marines disarm before being in a room with him, he should resign.

You don't put your desire for personal safety above the honor of the United States Marine Corp.

Story to come, I'm sure.

The difference between myself, a conservative, service connected disabled veteran, and that POS, turn our troops command over to the UN Panetta... I would INSIST the Marines bear their arms.

Panetta needs to have his cheesy, traitorous ass kicked to the curb, but don't expect the kenyan to do it. Panetta is just the kind of scum obama likes.

Last edited:
If it's true that Leon Panetta had Marines disarm before being in a room with him, he should resign.

You don't put your desire for personal safety above the honor of the United States Marine Corp.

Story to come, I'm sure.

The difference between myself, a conservative, service connected disabled veteran, and that POS, turn our troops command over to the UN Panetta... I would INSIST the Marines bear their arms.

Panetta needs to have his cheesy, traitorous ass kicked to the curb, but don't expect the kenyan to do it. Panetta is just the kind of scum obama likes.
Why don't you stand aside and let the grownups discuss this intelligently?

Agreed that if Panetta made this request something needs to be done about it but your link suggests otherwise.

Afghan guards in the room, along with other foreign troops, were also unarmed during Panetta's address. A defense official told reporters there was no heightened threat, but that the order to disarm was done to be "consistent" so that Americans troops wouldn't be the only ones carrying weapons. The request reportedly did not come from Panetta or his team.

The order for the Marines to put down their weapons came from Major Gen. Mark Gurganus, according to a press pool report.

Gurganus said that since the Afghan soldiers were unarmed, he did not want them treated differently, but said it was not because of the shooting this weekend.

Agreed that if Panetta made this request something needs to be done about it but your link suggests otherwise.

Afghan guards in the room, along with other foreign troops, were also unarmed during Panetta's address. A defense official told reporters there was no heightened threat, but that the order to disarm was done to be "consistent" so that Americans troops wouldn't be the only ones carrying weapons. The request reportedly did not come from Panetta or his team.

The order for the Marines to put down their weapons came from Major Gen. Mark Gurganus, according to a press pool report.

Gurganus said that since the Afghan soldiers were unarmed, he did not want them treated differently, but said it was not because of the shooting this weekend.
OK, thanks. But Major Gen. Mark Gurganus has to be held accountable for this order. I am not totally convinced it did not come from the office of the SecDef.

And I do not see a problem with Marines being armed while Afghan soldiers are unarmed, in a U.S. base tent, after all the fragging we have seen from the Afghans.

I'd like to say I'm shocked but nothing surprises me about the Obama's Administrations outright contempt and hatred for our culture and institutions

I'd like to say I'm shocked but nothing surprises me about the Obama's Administrations outright contempt and hatred for our culture and institutions
Obaaaaaaaaama!!!!!!!!!
lmao.gif

Panetta is one step removed from being a Commie.
Anyone who's taken fire wearing the uniform of the United States goes to the head of the line, no matter what you think your IQ reads vis a vis theirs.
In this nation of equals, where some are more equal than others, they are the ones who should be elevated.

"In a sign of the nervousness surrounding Mr. Panetta’s trip, the Marines and other troops who were waiting in a tent for the defense secretary to speak were abruptly asked by their commander to get up, place their weapons — M-16 and M-4 automatic rifles and 9-mm pistols — outside the tent and then return unarmed. The commander, Sgt. Maj. Brandon Hall, told reporters he was acting on orders from superiors.
“All I know is, I was told to get the weapons out,” he said. Asked why, he replied, “Somebody got itchy, that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy; we just adjust.”
Normally, American forces in Afghanistan keep their weapons with them when the defense secretary visits and speaks to them. The Afghans in the tent waiting for Mr. Panetta were not armed to begin with, as is typical."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/world/asia/panetta-visits-afghanistan-following-massacre.html
Why are you starting another thread on this, moron?

I wonder if Panetta's personal security guards were also disarmed? Either way, this is shameful, IMO.

Why are you starting another thread on this, moron?
It was a US General that so requested after a vehicle caused a security scare.

Leon Panetta in Afghanistan: Security Scare During Defense Secretary's Visit - ABC News

Well now the thread's completely fucked up.

My title was better, and instead of starting it without a link or any reference to the story, Synth's idiotic vapidism is first up.

I started another thread because the thread title doesn't describe the contents of the thread. Nor is the first post specific.

If you guys need a copy editor and you're willing to pay, I'll jump right in. I can do headlines and content editing like you wouldn't believe. This sort of travesty makes me cringe.

Well now the thread's completely fucked up.

My title was better, and instead of starting it without a link or any reference to the story, Synth's idiotic vapidism is first up.

I started another thread because the thread title doesn't describe the contents of the thread. Nor is the first post specific.

If you guys need a copy editor and you're willing to pay, I'll jump right in. I can do headlines and content editing like you wouldn't believe. This sort of travesty makes me cringe.

Sorry Kosher, that's just the way it goes, Synth posted his first. :D

It is a 'war zone'. You do NOT go unarmed, in a 'war zone'. PERIOD.

Whoever gave this order should be reprimanded, and it should NOT be repeated.

New Topics

Forum List

Back