If marijuana were made legal, would you try it?

If marijuana were legal, would you try it?

• Total voters
Why would anyone smoke something that smells like it came out of the ass end of a pig with diarrhea? How can you even put something like that up to your lips?

Immie
I believe you're one of those who are conditioned to think this way but would be enthusiastically converted if you used marijuana just once. Your present attitude about marijuana is not uncommon and is rooted in ignorance of the facts and a general feeling of superiority.

Why would anyone smoke something that smells like it came out of the ass end of a pig with diarrhea? How can you even put something like that up to your lips?

Immie
I believe you're one of those who are conditioned to think this way but would be enthusiastically converted if you used marijuana just once. Your present attitude about marijuana is not uncommon and is rooted in ignorance of the facts and a general feeling of superiority.

What kind of pretentious silliness was that response?

How does Immie's reaction to the scent of burning marijuana have anything to do with being conditioned to think a certain way or ignorance of the facts or a feeling of superiority? He said it smells bad. I've smoked pot enough in the past to agree with him that it generally smells bad, although I don't think it's as terrible as he apparently does. I've certainly never smelled any that I thought smelled good.

If he had said the same thing regarding cigarettes, would you have the same reaction?

I'm afraid the impression you give is not that Immie has any feelings of superiority in this issue but that you do.

Marijuana makes you stupid. The net effect of getting "high" is reducing your IQ by 40 points. Ignorance really is bliss, so watching cartoons and sitcoms is really enjoyable, listening to the Beatles seems meaningful, and Jon Stewart seems funny. Add the 40 IQ points back and sitcoms are stupid again, Lennon is a pretentious douche, and Stewart a drooling sycophant.

SO I understand the appeal, but as I got older, I came to grips with my intellect and no longer needed periods of stupidity to better integrate with others.

Immie

My present attitude?

First, to set the record straight, I am for legalization.

Second, I grew up with the shit being smoked around me every day at school. It made me frigging nauseous! I honestly cannot understand why people smoke the shit.

Finally, I can only associate getting high with getting drunk, so if this analogy does not work for you who are more experienced, please forgive me. I happen to enjoy getting drunk to the point where the room starts spinning although I generally put the brakes on before I start puking my guts out. The idea of getting high is not bothersome to me at all. If I could do so with weed and not have to smell the shit first, I would consider it.

Immie

My present attitude?

Second, I grew up with the shit being smoked around me every day at school. It made me frigging nauseous! I honestly cannot understand why people smoke the shit.

Finally, I can only associate getting high with getting drunk, so if this analogy does not work for you who are more experienced, please forgive me. I happen to enjoy getting drunk to the point where the room starts spinning although I generally put the brakes on before I start puking my guts out. The idea of getting high is not bothersome to me at all. If I could do so with weed and not have to smell the shit first, I would consider it.

Immie

Getting high and getting drunk are not similar.

Where the early stages of drinking make you energetic, aggressive, and impair common sense, alcohol does nothing to dim intellect (in earlier stages.)

Pot makes you stupid. The pleasure of it is in stupidity. You are relieved of all the thoughts swimming in your mind while you are high. You will focus on the present and lack the capacity to analyze even that.

AND the big attraction is that it wears off. In 4 to 6 hours, you'll go back to normal. It is an escape from your own intellect.

My present attitude?

Immie

Getting high and getting drunk are not similar.

Where the early stages of drinking make you energetic, aggressive, and impair common sense, alcohol does nothing to dim intellect (in earlier stages.)

Pot makes you stupid. The pleasure of it is in stupidity. You are relieved of all the thoughts swimming in your mind while you are high. You will focus on the present and lack the capacity to analyze even that.

AND the big attraction is that it wears off. In 4 to 6 hours, you'll go back to normal. It is an escape from your own intellect.

Pot makes you stupid.

if you say so.....when i was at Fullerton Collage in the Chemistry class i was in the Prof and 2 of the smarter kids there would get high with a couple of us at "Lunch" and go back in and get into Chemistry.....and it sure as hell did not make anyone stupid that was high in that class....this guy taught us a lot of Chemistry....

Pot makes you stupid.

if you say so.....when i was at Fullerton Collage in the Chemistry class i was in the Prof and 2 of the smarter kids there would get high with a couple of us at "Lunch" and go back in and get into Chemistry.....and it sure as hell did not make anyone stupid that was high in that class....this guy taught us a lot of Chemistry....

I went to Cal Poly Pomona as an under grad. I'm sure just as many of the professors smoked dope, but then an awful lot of them were dopes.

My youngest daughter was at CSF at the time I was getting my MBA from University of Phoenix. I remember on the occasions that we would have similar classes, such as finance or biology (don't ask - bastards wouldn't accept the Cal Poly credit.) At any rate, CSF was such a joke. I realize that graduate coursework SHOULD be harder than than undergrad, but the biology class was the real kicker. Both were 300 level courses. At UOP we did in the first week what Fullerton took the semester to get to. In 5 weeks, we did what Fullerton never even approached. I wondered at the time if her professor was on dope, or if the lowered standards had really taken that big of a toll.

Pot makes you stupid.

I went to Cal Poly Pomona as an under grad. I'm sure just as many of the professors smoked dope, but then an awful lot of them were dopes.

My youngest daughter was at CSF at the time I was getting my MBA from University of Phoenix. I remember on the occasions that we would have similar classes, such as finance or biology (don't ask - bastards wouldn't accept the Cal Poly credit.) At any rate, CSF was such a joke. I realize that graduate coursework SHOULD be harder than than undergrad, but the biology class was the real kicker. Both were 300 level courses. At UOP we did in the first week what Fullerton took the semester to get to. In 5 weeks, we did what Fullerton never even approached. I wondered at the time if her professor was on dope, or if the lowered standards had really taken that big of a toll.

hey things are different at different institutions....when i was delivering Mail one of the customers was a PHd in Theoretical Physics...he told me most of the students from the other Colleges around here would not last in a Physics class where he taught...UCI....

Pot makes you stupid.

hey things are different at different institutions....when i was delivering Mail one of the customers was a PHd in Theoretical Physics...he told me most of the students from the other Colleges around here would not last in a Physics class where he taught...UCI....

Most people nowadays couldn't pass a history test given to seventh graders in 1935.

If marijuana 'for recreational use' were made legal in your area, would you try it? Assume it remains federally illegal, but the government stands by it's promise not to enforce the ban.

I've not only tried it in the past, I used to be a regular user.
Haven't touched the stuff in probably at least 20 years. Much of that due to potential random drug testing at my places of employment (I make far too much money to risk losing my job over a marijuana high).
If it was legal, I might partake now and then but I doubt I'd be a regular user. The last time I smoked marijuana the two hits messed my mind up so much I could hardly function, good thing I was camping and didn't actually need to function on a higher level than keeping the campfire burning that night.

I would add that mixing benzos and alcohol even in small amounts can be lethal. Individually they do not suppress the breathing. But taken together they suppress breathing and will kill you.

some benzos do suppress the breathing.

and yes, benzos withdrawal is one of the most violent ones.

Speaking of Legal Marijuana I heard there is a new restaurant opening somewhere on Colorado called the "Weed and Feed"

Most people nowadays couldn't pass a history test given to seventh graders in 1935.

no argument there....

If marijuana 'for recreational use' were made legal in your area, would you try it? Assume it remains federally illegal, but the government stands by it's promise not to enforce the ban.

I answered yes because I have used it in the past but not for some time. I'm not certain that I would just because I run about 20 miles per week and I really don't want to put anything into my lungs that isn't necessary, especially since I quit smoking cigarettes a little over two years ago.

Vox, do you drink alcohol? Be honest now.

socially. don't try to equate the substance which is beneficial in very small doses ( alcohol) with a substance which is harmful even in very small doses ( marijuana)

I gave up booze years ago (except for a couple of Martinis a year). I found alcohol to be dangerous. I lost a friend to a drunk driver. My wife works with battered women and she knows how much alcohol plays into that. I have a friend of mine who is a counselor at a treatment center, he has repeatedly that next to heroin and meth that alcohol is one of the worse addiction to have, it destroys lives. Even though pot as several flaws, it's not comparable to the harm booze can have and it's far more addicting than pot.

I think he specified "small doses". Which throws your whole point out the window.

Forum List

Back