If GOP Loses In November, Won't Be Cause of WOT

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    domestic issues, especially game playing with economy and immigration, IMO:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008226

2. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't know what it is that makes Republicans shoot themselves in the foot.
    If only they would lead in the majority the way they act when in the minority.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Oh hell--lets just claim they stole the election and whine. :mm:

4. deaddude

deaddude Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    It happens to both parties, it is one of the stapples of our two party system. When one of the parties gains power it will slowly but surely begin acting foolishly, disregarding the voter base which put it in power. The democratic party had power for a long time, and they still have not recovered from it completely.

If you combine this foolishness with the crisis a week thing that seems to have plauged our last two president's second terms, and you end up with some interesting elections, should be fun to watch.

5. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I thinks its about to go the other way. I'm afraid the Denocrats are going to sweep the House and Senate in the fall.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Unless the Dems shoot themselves in the foot, then yes, it looks like the Repubs are in huge trouble come the mid-term elections. But thinking that trouble is because of "pork" ignores the major problems the party has right now. As I see it, Republicans have forgotten that conservatism means restraint...restraint in action, restraint in words, restraint in seeking change, restraint in spending. Bush has little support for his policies and that is going to affect the rest of the party. The fact that the Republican majority rubber-stamped his every whim and he theirs doesn't help....nor does the fact that extremists like Rick Santorum purport to speak for the party. And people like him are scary to the vast majority of us.

And don't forget that most of the country thinks Iraq was a really bad idea or, minimally, has been badly executed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    But we COUNT on the democrats shooting themselves in the foot! :laugh: They do it so often and good.

8. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I'm a big supporter of Tactical Voting. I like to try and persuade others of its merits, which are self-evident to me but which some people need a little convincing on. Basically the choice is between a party that's has a mediocre domestic agenda and a good-to-mediocre foreign agenda, and a party with a shitty domestic agenda and a shitty foreign agenda. Due to the two-party system, one of those is going to win. No third party is going to win, one of them is going to win. I can clearly see the better choice, and recognize the consequences of the other choice. Ergo, I will put a good amount of effort into the mediocre party, even though they are not perfect, or even good. I do this because the alternative to the mediocre party is the shitty party.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Just so long as you remember that what you "clearly see" is only your opinion and not fact and that half the country disageed, even at the last election, and now only about 1/3 agree with you. Doesn't invalidate your "opinion", but nonetheless.... :)