If God Is...?

I stopped blaming God for what we do to each other with free will, long ago.

Oh yes, I forgot to include that one in my list of cop-outs to explain why such a lazy, negligent God allows so much needless suffering.

Have you any children that you have raised? If so you can see why God can't intervene when it is the children that can't be controlled.

Or... Humanity is a perfect example of a fatherless bastard forced to educate itself or die trying.

God and the concept of worship me now and I will reward you after you die seems like the ultimate scam to me.

Give me your money and soul and you will be paid back after you die....

somehow that cheapens the only sure life we have.

That's because you look at this short life and death as IT, period.
:eusa_shifty:

I look at death as just a small step towards even more.

I don't believe that a loving Father punishes for eternity a mere human's short time on earth's mistakes.
:cool:

Just by observing nature, one has to see some intelligent design behind the whole thing, the odds of it being a result of a big bang do not seem plausible. I also feel that there are too many coincidences to be just happenstance. I tend to follow the line of thought of Deism.
Deism is knowledge of God based on the application of our reason on the designs/laws found throughout Nature. The designs presuppose a Designer. Deism is therefore a natural religion and is not a "revealed" religion. The natural religion/philosophy of Deism frees those who embrace it from the inconsistencies of superstition and the negativity of fear that are so strongly represented in all of the "revealed" religions such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam. (These religions are called revealed religions because they all make claim to having received a special revelation from God which they pretend, and many of their sincere followers actually believe, their various and conflicting holy books are based on.) When enough people become Deists, reason will be elevated over fear and myth and its positive qualities will become a part of society as a whole. Then, instead of having billions of people chasing after the nonsensical violence promoting myths of the "revealed" religions, people will be centered on their God-given reason which will lead to limitless personal and societal progress!
Deism Defined, Welcome to Deism, Deist Glossary and Frequently Asked Questions

I always like how when they spoke in tongues the same words would translate differently from time to time. They did the translations of course.

I'm sorry you weren't ever overtaken by the Holy Ghost, USC.

Most times, in my church, there wasn't a translator tho......
When in prayer why would someone need to have their heart translated for others?
Prayer? this is dancing around with arms waving in the air wailing and such.

But strangely enough the church considered dancing a sin and going to movies, etc.
You would burn for that kind of behaviour.

I'm sorry you were brought up in that kind of environment. Those types of expressions of faith do not reach me either. Of course, to each their own...I don't mean to dismiss or diminish anyone else's method of worship....but it's not how I was raised.

I can see how such zeal could be a turn off to someone. But there are other ways, other churches. Obviously, the choice is yours....so don't think I'm preaching to you.

An ancient answered already. "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." Marcus Aurelius

That's why....and I don't mean to offend Conservatives here....I find more in common with liberals. My faith points me in that direction. As far as personal sins like abortions and homosexuality? I'm a sinner too....we all are. Their sins are no worse than anyone else's. We are all trying to get through this life and we all sin.

So I don't try to judge people....well....that's a lie....I do it quite often on here. But in real life? I try to do the best I can. Places like this are an environment which breeds animosity and anger...I'm really not an angry person in person.

I just believe that we are our brother's keeper and God wants us to take care of each other...even if we don't feel they deserve it.

Tell me about it. It's difficult not to lose ones anger here. Today has been one of those days I've been angry. It's not easy.

God does want us to take care of one another. and it's not easy. Boy is it hard to love some people. Extremely hard.

But I've found it's worth it to try, even if the dont respond.

I think the 'other side' is going to hold a lot of surprises for all of us. I fully epect to be surprised at how little interest there will be in my theology; less surprised to find out how silly we are in our concepts of the correct way to 'do church'. I fully expect to be surprised in various ways we have been wrong in some of our interpretations of religious teachings.

I do think the most surprised of all, however, will be our Atheists. :)

I think they will be pleasantly surprised though. atleast after their "Oh S*@&" moment.

God and the concept of worship me now and I will reward you after you die seems like the ultimate scam to me.

Give me your money and soul and you will be paid back after you die....

somehow that cheapens the only sure life we have.

That's because you look at this short life and death as IT, period.
:eusa_shifty:

I look at death as just a small step towards even more.

I don't believe that a loving Father punishes for eternity a mere human's short time on earth's mistakes.

You're right. He doesn't punish for Eternity. He provides Eternal Punishment. It's a mystery that makes sense when you understand the play on words used. Understanding it also gives totally new meaning to Eternal life.

But strangely enough the church considered dancing a sin and going to movies, etc.

That's insane. (No offense to anyone who believes that stuff).

An ancient answered already. "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." Marcus Aurelius

It's good advice, but it presupposes that it's impossible to know God.

BTW I love the fact that we can have a real discussion on religion without crap that gets posted outside the clean zone.

I always like how when they spoke in tongues the same words would translate differently from time to time. They did the translations of course.

I'm sorry you weren't ever overtaken by the Holy Ghost, USC.

Most times, in my church, there wasn't a translator tho......
When in prayer why would someone need to have their heart translated for others?

I was brought up in the AG church too. When I was a child it all made a big impression on me until one time someone was speaking in tongues and then two people began to interpret, but the interpretations were different. From that point, I figured it was bullshit. It made me question a lot of other Church dogma as well.

I was brought up in the AG church too. When I was a child it all made a big impression on me until one time someone was speaking in tongues and then two people began to interpret, but the interpretations were different. From that point, I figured it was bullshit. It made me question a lot of other Church dogma as well.

I've never understood the gift of tongues to be interpreted the way they do. When the Apostles spoke in Tongues on the day of Pentecost it wasnt in some bizzarre language no one understood. They spoke in the many languages of the people present.

I've always understood the gift of tongues to manifest itself so that people can understand the Gospel better. I know that men can speak in unknown language, but I dont think that's a common gift, or one we should seek after. Much better to prophecy.

Last edited:
I think God answered that when He said "I AM"

and it is the ultimate question. One of Supreme importance. Because if He is there, and I can testify that He is, then the course of our lives can dstrastically change compared what they could be if He isnt.

Umm some human wrote that down.
From the same group of humans that claim to be the chosen of god, etc.

Your proof of god's existence seems to all revolve around one manuscript that humans wrote down.

And it was mere humans that have written their scientific theories of why he doesn't exist, yet you accept their writings.

The 9th word in the OP demonstrates that there was never any intent of having a serious debate on the matter, though, so.......
:eusa_eh:

Just 'cause I posit that God might be feminine you discount the entire conversation as irrelevant?

That's harsh, Bro'.

When the Holy Ghost touches the heart and mind and testifies to the truth, it's impossible to deny without serious consequences.

That's me... Serious consequences in the flesh.

Nah you're harmless

Can't be, Brother. I have been touched by the Holy Ghost, spoken in tongues, and now I deny Him and His Christ. According to your post, I'm either capable of the impossible or I'm serious consequences in the flesh.

The practical side of me is going with serious consequences walking, ass-u-me-ing the Christians are correct. Shame the devil and tell the truth, Christians believe that there is a very special place in hell for me.

* yawn *

I guess what gets to me is the notion that God and science can't coexist. Between the naivety of the Fundamentalists that refuse scientific evidence to the folks that can reason the complexities of the Universe, but still think it's all a random coincidence.

One side as bad as the other.

I've always thought that nature was the way God does things, and science was the study of nature; therefore, science is simply the study of the way God does things. I do not believe that the Bible is the complete, inerrant and inspired word of God; however, I find that within its pages there is much wisdom. I think the following verses are significant:

“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard” (Psalms 19:1-3, KJV).

“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20, KJV).

There is no conflict between science and God, nor could there be. Things cannot operate contrary to the design of their Creator. Pure solid lead will always sink in pure liquid water and, and all of creation must act and interact in strict accordance with the laws of God which I call nature.

Last edited:
That's me... Serious consequences in the flesh.

Nah you're harmless

Can't be, Brother. I have been touched by the Holy Ghost, spoken in tongues, and now I deny Him and His Christ. According to your post, I'm either capable of the impossible or I'm serious consequences in the flesh.

The practical side of me is going with serious consequences walking, ass-u-me-ing the Christians are correct. Shame the devil and tell the truth, Christians believe that there is a very special place in hell for me.

* yawn *

And im telling you the truth when I dont think you'll be in hell. I think you will be redeemed. You may not see it today but God has a way of doing miracles.

Forum List

Back