If God Is...?

I think God answered that when He said "I AM"

and it is the ultimate question. One of Supreme importance. Because if He is there, and I can testify that He is, then the course of our lives can dstrastically change compared what they could be if He isnt.

Umm some human wrote that down.
From the same group of humans that claim to be the chosen of god, etc.

Your proof of god's existence seems to all revolve around one manuscript that humans wrote down.

Try applying Conscience..... We'll leave the light on for you. ;)

What the heck does that mean?

"Believing is seeing. When you pierce the viel of unbelief, things become much more obvious."

Sounds like LSD, but it's LDS.

Things like cause and effect? ;)

Cause and effect is scientific not mystical as it was once thought to be.
Like sacrificing a virgin to get the sun to come back from an eclipse.
And we are not done learning new things. What is now mystical will one day be understood.

Last edited:
My preferred 'story' concerning religion is actually an account of a real person from Alexandria in the 5th century. Hypatia, a woman, has often been credited with being the first mathmatician who hypothesised and sought to prove that the earth is a sphere, as opposed to being flat. But her teaching and theories offended the rising dominance of Christainity under Constantine. She was murdered and her school was trashed after refusing to capitulate to the bishop of Alexandria's will. These were the events that precipitated the burning of the Library of Alexandria, the single largest source of knowledge in the known world at the time.

The Agora is the movie. Terrible how early christians were vandals and murderers.

Just the early ones?

If god is....

Now that is the real question.

all the other questions about god are irrelevant till that one is answered.

and it is the ultimate question. One of Supreme importance. Because if He is there, and I can testify that He is, then the course of our lives can dstrastically change compared what they could be if He isnt.

Your proof of god's existence seems to all revolve around one manuscript that humans wrote down.

That's absurd. I rely on at least 4 manuscripts from various times and locations in addition to countless other witnesses to God and His glory. Most of all I rely on the testimony the Spirit has given me. When the Holy Ghost touches the heart and mind and testifies to the truth, it's impossible to deny without serious consequences.

Can't decide if I am an atheist or just incredibly pissed of at God. I can't accept that any God that gives a damn about us would allow what happened to a woman as selflessly giving and widely adored as my mother, she died after long and horrible suffering, can't forgive him/her/it for that, easier to just consider the universe empty and meaninglessly chaotic.

Im sorry to hear about your mother. You will see here again someday.

And if you are pissed at Him, feel free to talk to Him about it. He isnt going to hate you for being angry at Him. He loves you. He wants you to be happy. When and if you ever become ready, He will welcome you with open arms.

I know you feel right now that you could never forgive Him. And you might not. But my experience with the Spirit tells me that when we feel the love of God touch our hearts, all the anger, bitterness, and pain are swallowed up in that love. I know when I feel the Spirit, it doesnt matter how I felt even five seconds before, I cant feel anything but love toward everyone. It's a marvelous experience, though i suppose it kind of sucks when you want to stay angry. Ive learned that I would rather not even if i temporarily feel like i do though.

That's absurd. I rely on at least 4 manuscripts from various times and locations in addition to countless other witnesses to God and His glory. Most of all I rely on the testimony the Spirit has given me. When the Holy Ghost touches the heart and mind and testifies to the truth, it's impossible to deny without serious consequences.

yeah I know all about the holy spirt/ghost. I was raised up in a holy roller church (Assembly of God).
God never once spoke to me.
16 years.

yeah I know all about the holy spirt/ghost. I was raised up in a holy roller church (Assembly of God).
16 years.

Im sorry to hear that. Though in my own experience, when I had the specific moment where I recognized the Holy Spirit for what He was, I realized He had been trying to talk to me many times before then and that I just wasnt prepared to listen or recognize His influence.

Maybe it's the same for you. Maybe not. I don't know all the ways God works. All I know is He is there and loves us.

16 years.

Im sorry to hear that. Though in my own experience, when I had the specific moment where I recognized the Holy Spirit for what He was, I realized He had been trying to talk to me many times before then and that I just wasnt prepared to listen or recognize His influence.

Maybe it's the same for you. Maybe not. I don't know all the ways God works. All I know is He is there and loves us.

I realize how comforting that feeling can be, whether it is true or not.

I do not believe in any form of afterlife or supreme being.
I have lived over 2 years past my doctors expectations, when I die I just expect to cease to exist mentally since my "being" is based on my biological processes and my experiences in life.

yes...occupied, I'm sorry about your mother too. I lost my dad in 1982 from emphysema, I was 17...he was sick from the time I was 11 and got increasingly worse until he died. My mom passed away in 2004 from complications from heart surgery.

I know where you are coming from. But, and I don't mean to sound flippant or insensitive....but we all die. Not all deaths are peaceful....my dad's certainly wasn't. His skin complexion was black from lack of oxygen and he was screaming for God to help him. It's an image that still haunts me 30 years later. I still feel guilt for asking God to take him.

I know my time is coming someday, and the older I get, the sooner it's going to happen. I just hope that I don't have to go like that.

yes...occupied, I'm sorry about your mother too. I lost my dad in 1982 from emphysema, I was 17...he was sick from the time I was 11 and got increasingly worse until he died. My mom passed away in 2004 from complications from heart surgery.

I know where you are coming from. But, and I don't mean to sound flippant or insensitive....but we all die. Not all deaths are peaceful....my dad's certainly wasn't. His skin complexion was black from lack of oxygen and he was screaming for God to help him. It's an image that still haunts me 30 years later. I still feel guilt for asking God to take him.

I know my time is coming someday, and the older I get, the sooner it's going to happen. I just hope that I don't have to go like that.

and we consider it a sin/illegal to take our own lives in those kinds of situations?
Go to hell and suffer for all eternity for ending my suffering on this earth?
Yeah a great God....

and we consider it a sin/illegal to take our own lives in those kinds of situations?
Yeah a great God....

Actually, my Mom put a stop to it. She demanded that the Dr. give him something to make him comfortable....he said "you know it will kill him?", She said that he was dying anyway and there's no reason to let him suffer....the Doc agreed and gave him a shot that allowed him to fall asleep. Once he fell asleep, he wasn't able to struggle for breath anymore and never woke up.

Can't decide if I am an atheist or just incredibly pissed of at God. I can't accept that any God that gives a damn about us would allow what happened to a woman as selflessly giving and widely adored as my mother, she died after long and horrible suffering, can't forgive him/her/it for that, easier to just consider the universe empty and meaninglessly chaotic.

Im sorry to hear about your mother. You will see here again someday.

And if you are pissed at Him, feel free to talk to Him about it. He isnt going to hate you for being angry at Him. He loves you. He wants you to be happy. When and if you ever become ready, He will welcome you with open arms.

I know you feel right now that you could never forgive Him. And you might not. But my experience with the Spirit tells me that when we feel the love of God touch our hearts, all the anger, bitterness, and pain are swallowed up in that love. I know when I feel the Spirit, it doesnt matter how I felt even five seconds before, I cant feel anything but love toward everyone. It's a marvelous experience, though i suppose it kind of sucks when you want to stay angry. Ive learned that I would rather not even if i temporarily feel like i do though.

Heard all that stuff from my fundamentalist family members already, my crisis of faith is long over. As I sit here I wonder why I ever put a bit of faith in such a negligent monster as God and it's not just over the horrible fearful death of my mother but everyone's mother and father and sister and brother who endure so much suffering and need at the hands of the terribly cold and evil people who seem to rule God's green earth. When God starts smiting the evil rather than rewarding them then I will think about reconciling with Him. Don't speak to me of the usual cop-outs of original sin or Satan ruling the earth or necessary temptation or any of the other excuses, they are entirely unsatisfactory to comfort such a rational person as I was born to be.

God and the concept of worship me now and I will reward you after you die seems like the ultimate scam to me.

Give me your money and soul and you will be paid back after you die....

somehow that cheapens the only sure life we have.

Try looking at organized Religion, as training wheels, until you get your bearings. No One is meant to go through life looking through other peoples eyes. We Each have our unique perspective on life and God. Basing God's existence or nonexistence on what other people tell you about him, seems very limited. Conscience is the Souls Ambassador.

I stopped blaming God for what we do to each other with free will, long ago.

I stopped blaming God for what we do to each other with free will, long ago.

Can't ask God either their is so much inhumanity, it's humans doing it, not God.

Yeah a great God....

or, man's interpretation.

Try looking at organized Religion, as training wheels, until you get your bearings. No One is meant to go through life looking through other peoples eyes. We Each have our unique perspective on life and God. Basing God's existence or nonexistence on what other people tell you about him, seems very limited. Conscience is the Souls Ambassador.

I have the World Encyclopedia of Religions, includes all religions from the dawn of religion and humans, to present.

Forum List

Back